Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 20,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMs57YLssU which discusses this exact topic. 20,000 watched the video. It seems more common than I would have guessed.
Do you think this would lower my summer utility bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 10:35 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunKillingMe View Post
Do you think this would lower my summer utility bills?
I think you are asking the wrong people. No one that is posting has been in your home (size, layout, type of HVAC, etc). Nor do they have any expertise with HVAC. It's fair to guess you are going to be a lot more comfortable with another zone.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:57 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Just my opinion...

Doing something like adding zones, even the simpler approach described in the youtube video, is not about saving money. I would only do something like this if you have problems keeping different parts of the house at a comfortable temperature, and you won't know if this is a problem until you've lived in the house during some hot weather.

Things that will give an economic payback in a reasonable time (say a few years max) are the basics... insulation, weather stripping, shading "problem" windows. Checking the insulation level in the attic should be the very first thing, IMO.

One other thing I forgot to mention before. If the upstairs is getting too warm (while downstairs is comfortable), you can try running the blower fan continuously. If you only use the upstairs for sleeping you could let it warm up during the day, then run the blower fan continuously a couple of hours before bedtime to start the upstairs cooldown.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 20,850 times
What do you suggest when my home office is downstairs and my husband's office is upstairs? We both will permanently work from home

Old 03-16-2021, 12:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Quote:
What do you suggest when my home office is downstairs and my husband's office is upstairs? We both will permanently work from home
I'd check the attic insulation right away. That's really a no brainer, and I'll guess lots of Phoenix homes would benefit from some more.

I'd wait to do anything beyond that. If you're having problems with the upstairs being too warm in a couple of months, it's time to have an HVAC company come out. If you're in the East Valley I could send you a message with the name of the HVAC company we use. There are some relatively simple things that can be done, like adding air returns, but only an on-site visit from someone in the business would give sensible alternatives.

Last edited by hikernut; 03-16-2021 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 01:51 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Consider a portable AC unit. Make sure it is one that has two ducts/hoses. The ones with a single exhaust draw hot air in from outside and will increase your main AC heating load.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:50 PM

720 posts, read 733,907 times
Quote:
I had a similar situation 2 story - 2 units however; e/w facing - and the upstairs was rather hot esp my daughters room which was the most SW facing and above the garage - what I should've done 8years ago when I first bought the house is get an energy audit - if you're APS or SRP they have a list of authorized contractors who can do this for you. I had a great company come out and charge $99 - and saw that I needed an extra vent running to my daughters room; new insulation and sealants around the vents - very little of it was covered by the utility company as incentive to do an energy audit - I can look for the company I used if interested just DM me- he was absolutely amazing and reasonable and I'm sure this summer whoever is living in my house will benefit from this new insulation and extra ventilation - I do have 2 units however; so they may suggest that for you and can do it for you - good luck!

Old 03-22-2021, 06:53 PM

27 posts, read 37,576 times
Solar shades/screens are cost effective if you have windows facing directly into the sun. I've added to a house in Orlando years ago and to a condo in Scottsdale. Makes a huge difference. High efficiency windows combined with energy saving window treatments really help, too.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
I think I have the worst one out of anyone here. I have a split-level apartment that starts on the 2nd story (so I have a downstairs neighbor), one big living room with floor to ceiling windows (also higher ceilings because it's vaulted with beams since it is mid-century modern) on the whole back wall... which faces west. Can't do much about it, because I'm renting and don't own the property.

One thing I will say, is I absolutely love the natural light. But you can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:13 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Insulation, Windows (depending on the age of the home you bought), check for any leaks/openings in the structure and sunscreens. We actually put thermal blackout curtains in the kids rooms as they have the most S/W exposure on the 2nd floor. We'll see how those work this year.

If you are in one of the newer homes (say less than 10 years old) most builders were doing pressure testing for intrusions/leaks in the home. The more air tight you can make it the less air/heat exchange from the exterior to the interior of the home. Plus you won't get critters using those gaps to get into the home.

As others have said...if you are really worried...call an HVAC company to come do an evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: