Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,582 times

Advertisements

Saw someone else do this and thought I'd give it a shot

What can you guys tell me about this area of town near Mesa Dr. and Main St.? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 AM

124 posts, read 476,862 times
Mesa Dr and Main Street is not the first place I would take a client looking for a home to purchase, but I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Before investing too much time into it though you may want to check out the mesa crime statistics for that area.

Is there a specific reason why you are interested in this particular area?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,582 times
Thanks for the quick reply! Not really; we found a rental house there and it's not too much a drive to work (downtown Phoenix). Also, the schools are decent, which is the only reason we're not living in Phoenix proper.

Do you have any recommendations? We're trying to find a 3 BR for less than $1000, and we've about had our fill of apartment living.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:41 PM

93 posts, read 339,103 times
I would definitely not move to downtown Mesa if I were you! Crime is high, the area is in really bad shape, and almost all of the local retail is geared towards the very poor Latino population in that area, i.e. Check cashing on every corner and very little fresh produce.

For your money, you can now get a reasonable 3BR rental in a newer development in east mesa, Gilbert, or Chandler. Unfortunately, many families there are foreclosing, and rentals seem to be increasing rapidily, and rents are dropping.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isocracy View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Not really; we found a rental house there and it's not too much a drive to work (downtown Phoenix). Also, the schools are decent, which is the only reason we're not living in Phoenix proper.

Do you have any recommendations? We're trying to find a 3 BR for less than $1000, and we've about had our fill of apartment living.
There are SO many different places available to rent right now because people can't sell their homes. I just did a REAL quick search on the MLS for rentals to see what is out there as far as 3 beds for under $1000 and it pulled up 44 in Tempe, Chandler, and Gilbert. Mind you, there are always more rentals available in Mesa than most other places, you just have to be careful of the area. In fact when I threw in Mesa it pulled up 111 rental listings. The MLS is only one search engine for finding residential rentals, there are plenty of other services out there too.

Just curious, why not attempt to buy something instead of renting right now?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfaceAZ View Post

Just curious, why not attempt to buy something instead of renting right now?
Spoken like a true Real Estate Agent. lol.

Why? because there's a great chance things will also go down within a year. That's why we're not even thinking to buy our first year. They sure as heck won't be going up!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy38 View Post
Spoken like a true Real Estate Agent. lol.

Why? because there's a great chance things will also go down within a year. That's why we're not even thinking to buy our first year. They sure as heck won't be going up!
LOL, like I said, was just curious. Quite often people tell me that they have tried to get qualified and can't so then I always send them to this one lender we use a lot. Actually wasn't trying to sell you, go figure lol.

There is a good chance you are correct about the market. If foreclosures keep climbing things could get uglier before they start getting better. If I could predict the market I'd be rich .

Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,707 times
We may not be opposed to buying.. my father is self employed and finding qualification may be hard, and i'm out of college and will be finding my first job once we move.

But even if we were qualified, i'm not sure if it'd be smart to buy right this moment. Wait a year, once a new president is in, it may change things a lot.

Either way, things WILL go up.. just a matter of time..

Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy38 View Post
We may not be opposed to buying.. my father is self employed and finding qualification may be hard, and i'm out of college and will be finding my first job once we move.

But even if we were qualified, i'm not sure if it'd be smart to buy right this moment. Wait a year, once a new president is in, it may change things a lot.

Either way, things WILL go up.. just a matter of time..
Qualification would be quite difficult for either one of you right now. Renting is NOT a bad thing, I did it myself for 6 years . Find a job, get to know the area a little, build up some downpayment and when you are ready, start looking . In the mean time you will be able to find a good house to rent for under $1000. Just make sure you check out the area before you sign a lease. http://www.aaronline.com/documents/buy_advis.pdf this is actually a link to the Arizona Buyer's Advisory, and while you are not buying right now there are a lot of great informative sites listed in here and you should be able to find ot a lot of information on the different areas you are looking into. Have fun, enjoy and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area