Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 08:46 PM

369 posts, read 269,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This happens to me constantly. People either don't realize how fast I'm going or just don't care. I usually ride right up to them and lay on my horn.
All kinds of things happen in traffic that shouldn't. I'm not making excuses for drivers who do those stupid things but everyone has a responsibility to drive defensively. That means slowing down to allow for such incidents.

If a collision happens from someone else's bad judgement the impact is a lot less serious if you're not driving fast.

Laying on the horn can trigger road rage too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 09:05 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
All kinds of things happen in traffic that shouldn't. I'm not making excuses for drivers who do those stupid things but everyone has a responsibility to drive defensively. That means slowing down to allow for such incidents.

If a collision happens from someone else's bad judgement the impact is a lot less serious if you're not driving fast.

So how do you react when you're driving the posted speed limit, and somebody turns in front of you & pokes along at 10 or 15 MPH less than your speed without any regard that you were there first? You're right: there's absolutely no excuse to be made for drivers like that, but telling the rest of us to slow down, not use the horn, and let the person who's in the wrong have his/her way isn't a solution. Drivers who turn in front of other drivers need to be taught a lesson that there's a price to pay for not being attentive, getting in somebody's way, and driving too slow.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:57 AM

188 posts, read 135,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
So how do you react when you're driving the posted speed limit, and somebody turns in front of you & pokes along at 10 or 15 MPH less than your speed without any regard that you were there first? You're right: there's absolutely no excuse to be made for drivers like that, but telling the rest of us to slow down, not use the horn, and let the person who's in the wrong have his/her way isn't a solution. Drivers who turn in front of other drivers need to be taught a lesson that there's a price to pay for not being attentive, getting in somebody's way, and driving too slow.
Honestly? There is nothing you can do. Laying on the horn will not "teach them a lesson". Passing them and then cutting in front of them in a fit of rage will not "teach them a lesson". When one does these things in anger, they open themselves up to sometimes catastrophic results. Simply, don't do it. Maybe they'll get ticketed one day, who knows. I live in an area where it's urban warfare out on the roads. Someone pulling out in front of you is an insignificant issue. Just ignore it. I have other things to deal with, like other drivers who could care less if I live or die by their actions. When I get in my car each night to make my 25 mile commute home, my sole objective is to just get home alive.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:45 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post

Laying on the horn IS road rage. I get your point though.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:05 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
One thing to consider is that there are a lot of older retirees in the area.

We old folks tend to have difficulty rotating our necks and our eyesight diminishes with age.

When I was a young person I didn't understand that but I sure do now!

Old 04-26-2023, 08:13 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
One thing to consider is that there are a lot of older retirees in the area.

We old folks tend to have difficulty rotating our necks and our eyesight diminishes with age.

When I was a young person I didn't understand that but I sure do now!
At the risk of being insensitive, maybe when one's head won't swivel and one's eyes won't see, it is time to hang up the keys.

We do see more of the described driving in winter, for sure. It is a well known fact that cars from the midwest come without accelerator pedals.

But mostly it is women who do this. Once they barge their way into the traffic flow, they are content to go slowly, check their look in the mirror and continue their online gabbing via text. Men on the other hand, pull out in front and then hit the accelerator, often shifting lanes trying to move ahead in the column.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 AM

2,018 posts, read 869,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Taught a lesson? What do you propose? 30 lashes at the whipping post? Just another part of life's little irritations.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:20 AM

720 posts, read 734,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I used to think PHX drivers were the worst, until I started driving in a few Middle Eastern countries. These dudes will pull in front of you if they have even a sliver of space. They don’t care, they just expect you to slow down and let them in. So Whenever I go back to PHX now, I find driving to be a breeze.

But it’s all relative. If you just got to PHX and the drivers were better back where you came from, it will appear as if PHX is the worst.

Anyway, I heard PHX has a lot of Middle Eastern refugees on the road nowadays. So that could be adding to the problem, because believe me, these dudes are awful drivers.
Are you kidding me with that statement??? OMG - I took my kids to Egypt last May and yes I would never rent a car there - no one pays attention to traffic lights - so we took uber the whole time and couldn't believe the skill they have to manuever in and out with PATIENCE I was like OMG I would've been on my horn and screaming - but the attitude is like what will that do but irritate the rest of my day - they've accepted the crowds and just do the best - and there were hardly any accidents so I think they're much better drivers than most here who are impatient and discourteous to others. I've had to pull in the left lane many times - luckily there is a suicide lane (called that for a reason right) or I immediately go to the right lane to not cut off the oncoming car. Why does anyone have to go above 55 in a regular street anyway - everyone needs to slow down here - it's becoming nuts!

Old 04-26-2023, 10:41 AM

188 posts, read 135,847 times
My daily commute is in South Florida (Broward County) When we were in Phoenix a couple of years ago (Gilbert) the driving situation there was an absolute pleasure. OMG, I couldn't believe how nice it was. Sure, there were some speed demons here and there, but at least they kept to their lane. Where I'm from, there is no "fast lane". The fast lane is whichever lane anyone can get into and drive the fastest. There is no flow of traffic, here. Everybody has to go around everybody else, and not just on the freeway. Count 100 cars ahead of you and 95 of them will change lanes in the next two miles, and I'm not joking. I call the drivers, here, murderous, because that's exactly what they are.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:49 PM

369 posts, read 269,564 times
Default It's the same in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
My daily commute is in South Florida (Broward County) When we were in Phoenix a couple of years ago (Gilbert) the driving situation there was an absolute pleasure. OMG, I couldn't believe how nice it was. Sure, there were some speed demons here and there, but at least they kept to their lane. Where I'm from, there is no "fast lane". The fast lane is whichever lane anyone can get into and drive the fastest. There is no flow of traffic, here. Everybody has to go around everybody else, and not just on the freeway. Count 100 cars ahead of you and 95 of them will change lanes in the next two miles, and I'm not joking. I call the drivers, here, murderous, because that's exactly what they are.
You lived in Gilbert, a quiet suburb. If you drove anywhere else around Phoenix it's a lot like you described in South Florida. Maybe not quite as bad but pretty close.

We have a lot of speeders here - too many, and aggressive drivers in huge trucks who like to intimidate.

Back to the op, it doesn't make life any better to be frustrated or get even with a stupid driver. Someone turns in front of you, slow down and let it go. It's better to stay safe than risk a bad accident over someone's mistake .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area