Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 04:24 PM

63 posts, read 40,731 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how often someone makes a turn from a driveway or street into oncoming traffic in front of other vehicles without any thought. If it was once in a while I could overlook it but it has happened to us more times than I can count since we moved here.

Is there a hidden rule that allows this kind of behavior on PHX area streets? I'm wondering because we haven't witnessed it this frequently anywhere else we lived or traveled. Sure there are dumb drivers everywhere, but in my experience PHX is by far the worst when it comes to attention spans and consideration for other people in traffic.

I'm not an impatient driver and usually don't go any higher than 5 over on through streets but it's aggravating to suddenly hit the brakes because of these yahoos who turn in front of other cars and move slow. I'm glad I'm an attentive driver because it's a serious accident waiting to happen. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of accidents are caused by incidents like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 04:29 PM

63 posts, read 40,731 times
Not many instructional videos about this subject but I found a webcam that sums up what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDcO_ssAYEY

The car turning left got in someone's lane but at least he didn't hesitate when he made the turn like many drivers I've witnessed here.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
It was far worse in Boise when I lived there. The road would be free and clear for a half mile behind me, then all of the sudden someone pulled in front of me going 10 MPH slower.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:10 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Most everyone driving on the street came from somewhere else bringing their bad habits or lack of skill with then.
In addition, many of those came from small towns and cities where traffic moves more slowly and there are few multi-lane city streets where openings in the traffic are limited. One has to be a little aggressive to get out in the flow in the big city.

Old 04-24-2023, 08:34 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,274,277 times
This happens to me constantly. People either don't realize how fast I'm going or just don't care. I usually ride right up to them and lay on my horn.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:10 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This happens to me constantly. People either don't realize how fast I'm going or just don't care. I usually ride right up to them and lay on my horn.
Laying on the horn in Phoenix is a good way to end up laying in the ground. And what good does it do? With overcrowded streets and people all tailgating and speeding the opportunities to make a left into an arterial are limited. One must gun and go at the barest of opportunity. We all do it. We have to.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:21 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
At the risk of being redundant, yeah, I'll chime in.

I've driven all over the country, and the one habit that SEEMS to be only in the Feeniks area....folks will pull out of the driveway or side street....and actually BE in the lane that you're navigating. They're at a complete stop. They're NOT pulling out in front of ya. They're just there. In your lane.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,347,968 times
I used to think PHX drivers were the worst, until I started driving in a few Middle Eastern countries. These dudes will pull in front of you if they have even a sliver of space. They don’t care, they just expect you to slow down and let them in. So Whenever I go back to PHX now, I find driving to be a breeze.

But it’s all relative. If you just got to PHX and the drivers were better back where you came from, it will appear as if PHX is the worst.

Anyway, I heard PHX has a lot of Middle Eastern refugees on the road nowadays. So that could be adding to the problem, because believe me, these dudes are awful drivers.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:34 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,274,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Laying on the horn in Phoenix is a good way to end up laying in the ground. And what good does it do? With overcrowded streets and people all tailgating and speeding the opportunities to make a left into an arterial are limited. One must gun and go at the barest of opportunity. We all do it. We have to.
Been doing it for 13 years and I'm still standing, so...

And no, we aren't talking about people pulling out and gunning it. We are talking about people who are completely oblivious to oncoming traffic. Pull in front of someone and barely creep up to 35 mph in a 45 mph zone. They literally don't even realize someone was driving in the lane they pulled into.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:55 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garden17 View Post
I can't believe how often someone makes a turn from a driveway or street into oncoming traffic in front of other vehicles without any thought. If it was once in a while I could overlook it but it has happened to us more times than I can count since we moved here.

Is there a hidden rule that allows this kind of behavior on PHX area streets? I'm wondering because we haven't witnessed it this frequently anywhere else we lived or traveled. Sure there are dumb drivers everywhere, but in my experience PHX is by far the worst when it comes to attention spans and consideration for other people in traffic.

I'm not an impatient driver and usually don't go any higher than 5 over on through streets but it's aggravating to suddenly hit the brakes because of these yahoos who turn in front of other cars and move slow. I'm glad I'm an attentive driver because it's a serious accident waiting to happen. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of accidents are caused by incidents like these.
When I first read this, I thought you meant the drivers who make sudden turns in front of oncoming traffic, risking a head on collision. After I saw the video, I know what you're referring to. It's usually some slow, inattentive idiot turning in front of another car, and poking along. There are various ways to deal with such menaces. If have the opportunity, I just move into the next lane and then swerve back around the vehicle that turned in front of me. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area