Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times

Advertisements

Can't wait for December 27th! I don't even know why exactly...I guess I just find the trains fascinating and the vibe that it gives the city. I probably won't ride it often since I live far from it and work from home (and within a few miles radius) but I guess I like that it will give others options as well as spur new development and give Phoenix a more "city" feel which I love.

Would have been cool if the 1989 Val-Trans elevated light rail would have passed. We would have close to 100 miles of track by now stretching all the way to the 101 and 35th Ave on the north end, Peoria Ave and 83rd Ave on the NW end, and down into Chandler on the southeast end.
I wonder how this city would have developed had that been built? I'm guessing much less sprawl.

Here is a report written up about the original proposal, good read:

Val-Trans: A Transportation Dream For The Valley Of The Sun BY DONALD A. VAUGHAN Arizona State University April 11, 2007
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
working off central I'll be happy when the construction is done

goodyear is pressing for a park & ride with an express bus to downtown - if it's truely an express route and connects into the lightrail then I may actually consider public transport, at least in the winters

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
We're now less than 200 days away, and soon we'll see rail cars doing test runs along the whole length of the system. With gas at $4 per gallon and unlikely to come down soon, the timing couldn't be better. Those who have predicted low ridership are likely to be eating crow once service starts. Also, planning is already underway for the next extension line up 19th Avenue to Dunlap, and final decisions will be made soon on an extension along Main into Downtown Mesa and an extension along Rural in Tempe. The "only one line" criticism, which was silly to begin with, will no longer be valid.

The one negative: Valley Metro is not planning an immediate increase in service frequency along the bus routes that will connect to light rail. It would be a shame to take a train that runs every 10 minutes only to have to wait 20 or 30 minutes for a bus necessary for the last mile of travel. As noted in an earlier thread, transit agencies around the country are facing increased demand but also increased costs, so they can't increase supply as readily as they'd like. Still, increasing service frequencies along bus routes that serve rail stations needs to be a top priority.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
also any bus that runs local will be a scheduling nightmare as well - that was my #1 complaint when I was taking the bus out here - just took too long and way too inconsistent - somedays you would wait 3 minutes for the connection, the next day 40 minutes in the blazing sun

Old 06-12-2008, 03:28 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
I can't wait! I won't be a regular user, but it will be fun once in a while to just ride it. I was on the underground rail when they opened it in LA and that was pretty cool...just the novelty in such a automobile worshiping city.

I hope it helps downtown Phx...I'm really starting to see downtown actually turning into a DOWNTOWN! Something I never thought I would see. Kinda cool to see Phx maturing. It's been difficult for Phx...such an odd place to put a city in the first place, considering the weather, water supply, etc. Maybe we will turn into a truly great city eventually if we can make the actual downtown vibrant. I keep hoping they will hire a world class artist to design a sculpture of a Phoenix bird...you know a HUGE one that will be talked about all over the world. (No, I'm not kidding.) Like the Eiffel Tower or the Statue of Liberty, or the Christ the Redeemer in Rio. Just this ENORMOUS Phoenix bird in the middle of downtown...hopefully where that ugly park is. I'm envisioning something in copper that you could see for miles and upon flying into Sky Harbor.

Am I the only one who has thought of this? It seems like such a perfect idea...Has anyone heard anything about this kind of thing in the past? Guess I'm just a curious frustrated artist.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
I like the idea and it would be a perfect time with Arizona's Centennial coming up in 2012 but I don't see it happening...there isn't the budget for it and with the economy going the way it's going, I don't see it being done.

There is, however, something already in the works which you may or may not know about. It's called the Phoenix Civic Space park and will be a 6 acre park bound by Central, Polk, 1st Ave and Fillmore. The park will feature a giant "floating" art piece by world renowned artist Janet Echelman and will rise about 100' into the air, definitely visible from in and around the downtown area.

http://www.echelman.com/site/images/phoenix_2.jpg (broken link)

http://www.echelman.com/site/images/phoenix_3.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
That looks fantastic! I'll be happy with any art (good art) they put down there. The centenial b'day would have been the day for that Phx bird idea. Bummer.

Oh, well. Maybe someday someone will do some version of the Phoenix.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
I see tree's... Those better be desert tree's.

I'd love the right rail to get going and have a clean safety record. If it's packed enough, hopefully it will expand.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
I'm excited - fer sure!
I think this system is really going to exceed the original ridership estimates.

Heck; I went downtown by bus yesterday; and was shocked at how many more people there were on the buses than usual.

Rt 50 heading east on camelback - 11AM - Standing room only.
In fact; every bus yesterday I was on was standing room only.

Good to see an increase.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
I know that at least 150 people in my office(s) alone will use the lightrail daily, even on the weekends. We are hoping that our employer gets us either free tickets or a reduced rate pass, LOL! They will they are just making us wait. I was looking at density levels and workforce estimates along the line and find it funny that people say it goes nowhere. The lightrail corridor is about the densest area of the valley, for population of workforce and homes. Besides, I don't think the city and MAG would have placed this thing somewhere that wouldn't be most likely to get the most use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area