Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 31,901 times

Advertisements

What is it like in Maricopa? housing, taxes, crime? Im 19, and looking at some jobs and houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:12 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,817 times
Maricopa for a 19 year old? I'm 24 and it looks like there's virtually nothing out there. The houses in Maricopa are easily the best i've seen but I wouldn't want to live out there.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:45 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,819 times
Also, most of the local employment is in the service industry, such as fast food, grocery store, sales clerk, cleaning/maintenance, etc.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM

191 posts, read 611,794 times
Default Maricopa move

If you are willing to commute 20-25 minutes, Maricopa is an excellent choice. The prices are amazingly low right now due to Short Sales. And there are many, many houses to choose from that are selling for $110K and up. There's not much to do there as it is master planned communities for mostly young families and retired golfers. It's surrounded by reservation land. But you can't beat the housing prices.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
As mentioned there isn't a lot to do right now, but see my other thread for the planned development pushing into late 2009.

More details about you would be helpful, What do you like, What do you do, What couldn't you live without. Tell us what you do on a weekly basis and we could tell you if Maricopa will match your needs.

To give basic answers, property tax in pinal county is higher than maricopa county, crime in maricopa is low, most houses are under 5 years old, large and in master planned communities.

I'm the type that likes being out of the city, but having all the conveniences 20 minutes away. I love living in a town where if there is a fight at the high school its front page news, that tells me crime is low. I also like living in a new city that i can be active in the future of, and watch grow.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:21 PM

98 posts, read 318,032 times
Is Maricopa still building new homes? Hubby and I are wanting to relocate out of Illinois and he is a residential electrician. Once we find him a job- goodbye- long cold winters!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjnny View Post
Is Maricopa still building new homes? Hubby and I are wanting to relocate out of Illinois and he is a residential electrician. Once we find him a job- goodbye- long cold winters!
Yes, they are still building new homes, just not as much as before. Hopefully, they will slow down on the unsold spec homes soon, and just build what they can sell (but I doubt that).

However, keep in mind where Maricopa is and what the commute will be like. More likely than not, your new job(s) will be 20+ miles away.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:46 PM

98 posts, read 318,032 times
Thanks. I am a sahm and hubby is an electrician. If they are still building in the area that helps as we can look into companies in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
Yes, they are still building new homes, just not as much as before. Hopefully, they will slow down on the unsold spec homes soon, and just build what they can sell (but I doubt that).

However, keep in mind where Maricopa is and what the commute will be like. More likely than not, your new job(s) will be 20+ miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area