Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times

Advertisements

Ok so why don't they put out the Avondale fire, instead of letting it burn, evacuating people, telling residents to stay in side, etc etc. Am I missing something here???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 PM

29 posts, read 123,132 times
You might be missing that it's kinda hard to put out a 1200 acre fire. Are you volunteering your services?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,128 times
One thing is for sure though, its making the sunset look like So Cal...burnt orange because of the refraction off the smoke whereas in SoCal its the refraction off the smog, I remember sunsets in LA when I lived there. Not sure if I'm liking that!

I miss the purple, red, and dark yellow from our natural sunsets.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,744 times
Your right, Seemd there is a river bottom fire several times a year. This is horrible. Is there really a reason at all?

I could hardly breath today and I live in Buckeye! This is a huge health hazzard.
I heard they have just been so busy with other emergency's ... Don't have time.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,744 times
I absolutly would volunteer my services. However, Most of us would become part of the problem rather then a help :-( Sad but true... 1200 acre's is a lot. They could do fly by's with water. could they? They have been done in city fires before? I don't have the answer. I do feel sorry for the people who live even closer. especially with babies. my house smelled like smoke inside this morning,:O( Not a good thing. I have VF ( Valley fever) in an acticve state right now. REALLY NOT HELPING IN THAT AREA.. Oh well, I should have studied up on VF before I chose to move here.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlkimaz View Post
Your right, Seemd there is a river bottom fire several times a year. This is horrible. Is there really a reason at all?

I could hardly breath today and I live in Buckeye! This is a huge health hazzard.
I heard they have just been so busy with other emergency's ... Don't have time.
LOL, they must have a lot of time to make up stories in Buckeye, like they did back in the day. But no, wildfires are natural and part of the cycle of life, LOL! It was sparked by lightening yesterday during our brief encounter with a short lived storm.

What happens in nature is that shrub and old growth becomes dry, something starts a blaze, the overgrowth and dried pant life burns, releasing nutrients and re-energizing new growth and fertilizing the ground. Though in modern times, these fires have become inconveniences...but nonetheless, they are a natural cycle. Also, it is a minor health hazard, listed as "moderate" by the EPA since nothing toxic or man-made is burning. Just a "good-ole" wildfire.

They are letting it burn because it is not threatening anything or anyone and when its over there will be no danger of it catching fire again since all the fuel will be gone. But, they have dropped retardant in some areas just in case and to stop it from spreading and causing too much concern like yours.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
Quote:
I absolutly would volunteer my services. However, Most of us would become part of the problem rather then a help :-( Sad but true... 1200 acre's is a lot. They could do fly by's with water. could they? They have been done in city fires before? I don't have the answer. I do feel sorry for the people who live even closer. especially with babies. my house smelled like smoke inside this morning,:O( Not a good thing. I have VF ( Valley fever) in an acticve state right now. REALLY NOT HELPING IN THAT AREA.. Oh well, I should have studied up on VF before I chose to move here.
So sorry you have valley fever. Another nice welcoming gift from AZ. I hope you are ok, it can really get you down and for along time. Natives like me get it so early we don't notice it but people who move here get it later as adult and it seems to affect them worse. Here's to a full recovery.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:15 PM

47 posts, read 259,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
its making the sunset look like So Cal...burnt orange because of the refraction off the smoke whereas in SoCal its the refraction off the smog.

I miss the purple, red, and dark yellow from our natural sunsets.
I think you should look up what very un-natural things cause such colors in a "natural sunset" in such a pristine, pollution free environment such as greater Phoenix.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I hope you feel better soon too. Don't know anyone who has had it but I heard if you get a serious infection it can be like the flu...thank goodness only 4,000 people in Arizona got it last year! California seems to have the highest number of cases, go figure! But I don't want it, thats for sure!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
I think you should look up what very un-natural things cause such colors in a "natural sunset" in such a pristine, pollution free environment such as greater Phoenix.
I know exactly what causes them and its not pollution. Did you know that smog, like that in LA, is not the cause for concern in Phoenix, but particulate matter, a.k.a. dust. In the evening, when the inversion layer "collapses" the particulate count tumbles as the air moves on.

Those desert sunsets are cause by refraction of color in the hot atmosphere, the alignment of the Sun in reference to Arizona's elevation and global position, lack of moisture in the air, and on an on. I could list all the causes, but that is just ridiculous. Anyway, the burnt orange sunset in LA is cause by smog, always the top 5 worst cities for it in the country...Phoenix isn't in the top 10 for Ozone. Actually the Phoenix-Metro area is the 13 largest metro in the country and the 15 worse for short term ozone pollution. Phoenix Metro is the 16th cleanest for long-term particulate pollution, so even though we get some, it goes away.

American Lung Association:*Air Pollution Facts & Air Quality Info - Best & Worst Cities - ALA State of the Air 2007 (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area