Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,798,411 times

Advertisements

Don't let this happen to you.
College, Inc. | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,555,928 times
While U of P is the largest of the "for profit" universities, the story is not just about it, but about such institutions generally.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,369,741 times
I have a friend who got a golden parachute and early retirement when the corp. where she was a senior strategic planner was sold. She signed up to teach business classes at the University of Phoenix for something to do. She lasted one semester and quit because she was appalled. She didn't even put it on her resume when she began consulting.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM

They also mention Argosy and Devry. I think this is something that has touched many, many lives--especially here in the Valley. I know some of the school districts are havens for UoP grads. It was quite a bit worse than voting Republican has ever been. They also mention that the loans are virtually impossible to get erased--a lot worse than a foreclosure, for example. I think there is some hanky-panky with the Regional Accreditation Groups similar to the bond ratings agencies.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,331,991 times
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "for profit" education. In fact, I think it's the best way to go. Education should be run like a business because that's exactly what it is. The criticism over these types of institutions is absolutely ridiculous, and lacks any merit. University of Phoenix is the nation's largest private university for many reasons. Yes, it exists to make a profit, but so does any other business! There are fewer tests, but that's a benefit to many students. This type of learning environment emphasizes critical thinking and study groups to complete assignments/projects. These are important things that people can actually use in the real working world instead of just cramming for a test and hoping to get a passing grade.

Best thing about UoP is that it's not funded with taxpayer money ... but this doesn't necessarily make it unaffordable to the average person. Most of the students who attend UoP are working adults, and many times their employers will pay for a portion of their tuition and learning materials. It's an excellent way for a career driven working adult to attend college and obtain a degree, instead of attending an overcrowded institution like ASU ... which is more geared for the late teen & 20 something crowd (who usually are more interested in partying & taking easy courses anyway).

Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 AM

7 posts, read 8,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Best thing about UoP is that it's not funded with taxpayer money ... but this doesn't necessarily make it unaffordable to the average person. Most of the students who attend UoP are working adults, and many times their employers will pay for a portion of their tuition and learning materials. It's an excellent way for a career driven working adult to attend college and obtain a degree, instead of attending an overcrowded institution like ASU ... which is more geared for the late teen & 20 something crowd (who usually are more interested in partying & taking easy courses anyway).
I disagree that UoP is not funded with taxpayer money. A significant portion of the income they bring in for tuition is in the form of federal government backed student loans (a good majority of student loans in the US are now federally backed), without this "federal assistance" these universities would not be able to charge as much in tuition and survive. Case in point, Dana College in Nebraska, a non-profit private university was to be sold to a for profit company. Subsequently Dana College lost its accreditation (which is required for government backed student loans) and closed its doors and I am guessing if UoP or any other for profit university lost accreditation, they would also go belly up.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,182,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
They also mention that the loans are virtually impossible to get erased--a lot worse than a foreclosure, for example.
Your statements and conspiracy theories are all over the place here.

As for the sentence above, if you obtain a federally guaranteed student loan at any university, you'll be required to pay it back. If you default on said loan at any university, collection efforts will be pursued, including using any future tax refunds being applied to the balance due. These debts are also not dischargeable during bankruptcy proceedings. This is not unique to the University of Phoenix or any other for-profit institution.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with "for profit" education. In fact, I think it's the best way to go. Education should be run like a business because that's exactly what it is. The criticism over these types of institutions is absolutely ridiculous, and lacks any merit. University of Phoenix is the nation's largest private university for many reasons. Yes, it exists to make a profit, but so does any other business! There are fewer tests, but that's a benefit to many students. This type of learning environment emphasizes critical thinking and study groups to complete assignments/projects. These are important things that people can actually use in the real working world instead of just cramming for a test and hoping to get a passing grade.

Nothing wrong at all with making a profit, but in this case their entire profit is being provided by the Federal Government. Did you even watch the video?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Your statements and conspiracy theories are all over the place here.

As for the sentence above, if you obtain a federally guaranteed student loan at any university, you'll be required to pay it back. If you default on said loan at any university, collection efforts will be pursued, including using any future tax refunds being applied to the balance due. These debts are also not dischargeable during bankruptcy proceedings. This is not unique to the University of Phoenix or any other for-profit institution.
In the sentence above, did I say that only applied to the Uof P? Did you, too, even watch the video? For private schools now make up 40% of loan defaults--and that only counts people, who default within 2 years of starting to pay them off.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,182,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
In the sentence above, did I say that only applied to the Uof P? Did you, too, even watch the video? For private schools now make up 40% of loan defaults--and that only counts people, who default within 2 years of starting to pay them off.
Yes, I watched the video when it was first released, a year ago.

I don't have a problem with people who default on loans being held accountable. Nor do I think they're victims. Read before you sign. Common sense. Honor your agreements. Basic integrity. If you're in a financial crunch, there's loan forebearance.

So if your thread's not actually about the University of Phoenix, headquartered in Phoenix, then this entire thread is off topic for the Arizona forums. Correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: