Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Our artificial turf is shaded by several trees and therefore stays quite comfortable even on hot days. I don't know what "L/S" means, so I can't even begin to address your other point.
L/S == LandScape. And the fact that you have big shade trees instead of natural grass supports his contention about using the same amount of water for any given space, regardless of whether you have grass or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,387 times
The shade-tree argument doesn't hold up because he'd likely have those either way. Therefore, removing grass does in fact reduce the amount of water he would otherwise use.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 AM

270 posts, read 1,110,110 times
If I had the money to splurge, I would have a small patch of grass for my old dog to enjoy. She is old and blind and moved w/ us from IL 2 months ago. These desert front and back yards is killing her paws!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Therefore, removing grass does in fact reduce the amount of water he would otherwise use.
So would removing the trees.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So would removing the trees.
Not gonna happen. The advantages of shade outweigh the minimal water use required for the one tree that has a drip line running to it. I doubt very much that a drip line to one or even multiple drip lines to a few trees -- all of which would be there anyway -- uses nearly as much water as lawn sprinklers. Also, one could argue that the trees reduce my electrical use for AC, probably offsetting the environmental costs of one drip line.

In any case, this thread has gotten a little off-topic. Back to the OP's question of "Why Grass?" -- One answer: Because grass provides a comfortable play surface for children. Those concerned about the water use associated with real grass may wish to investigate high quality synthetic turf as an alternative, particularly if the ground to be covered is shaded.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Actually big trees and grass help the "heat island" effect so it is a benefit. I have rock but it's because I don't have time to care for the yard. I like the look of synthetic turf but it does get hot if not shaded. Our city, Chandler, has been promoting the use of grass and more trees for the cooling effect they give.
Here is a piece of an article:
Urging increased vegetation might undercut a central message of most outdoor water conservation programs, that xeriscape principles be applied. Xeriscape means planting low-water use vegetation in a water-scarce environment. A reader’s response to a recent Arizona Republic editorial demonstrates that some people, depending upon how they perceive the message, believe they are being advised to discard xeriscape in favor of more water-consuming vegetation to relieve UHI discomforts.

The July 23 editorial noted a study supported by ASU’s Decision Center for a Desert City that the growth and the intensity of the UHI is exceeding researchers’ expectations. It warned that it won’t be long before overnight lows will likely reach 100.

To counteract the UHI effect the editorial exhorts citizens to “Plant more vegetation. Shade from trees and bushes reduces the heat absorbed by walls and pavement. Leaves, meanwhile act as nature’s air-conditioners, cooling the surrounding air when water evaporates through their pores.”
Water Management Issues Surface as Virgin River Wends its Way to the Colorado (http://ag.arizona.edu/azwater/awr/septoct06/feature1.html - broken link)

Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Our 55-and-glad-to-be-alive homeowners complex began with grass, and grass upkeep has always been encouraged in the yards. Watering systems were installed in every yard, and water is purchased in bulk for the complex. "Arizona" (desert landscaping) was never discouraged, but was never truly pushed either.

That is, until this year.

Now, its been indicated to us that we may voluntarily go full-blown Arizona if we so desire! However, since most of the owners here have gotten used to the grass, it may be a while before we see our complex go over to very much total Arizona landscaping around each home.

Certainly, the Arizona landscaping is less of a water guzzler, but the grass has always been nice to have. Apparently, the complex is beginning to feel the pain when it comes to paying for water!

Yet, there is no doubt that this will be a good thing in the long run for all.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM

641 posts, read 2,366,643 times
I lived in Mesa for years. Now near Casa grande. They temps are the same during the day, but not island effect here. It is about 10 degrees cooler at night here. Big difference.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM

307 posts, read 954,261 times
Default Adds color!

Putting a small "putting green" type patch of real grass adds color to a desert landscape without using a lot of water.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
I can understand why people have small lawns. We're contemplating that ourselves to cut down on the dust/rocks that end up in our pool. What I don't understand is why they insist on watering said lawn at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. There are lots of businesses down here with grass lawns that have their sprinklers going full force during the hottest/sunniest part of the day. That makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area