Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times

Advertisements

guys what da hell are drophouses? I thought drophouse were like outhouse. Holy crap, is this true?

I was just reading an article in this month's Phoenix Mag and they profiled out, i mean drophouses. Is this true? Can anyone confirm/deny? Darrell Ankarlo(Phoenix Mag), talks about it like its an epidemic problem Phoenix area. True that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 02:41 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
guys what da hell are drophouses? I thought drophouse were like outhouse. Holy crap, is this true?

I was just reading an article in this month's Phoenix Mag and they profiled out, i mean drophouses. Is this true? Can anyone confirm/deny? Darrell Ankarlo(Phoenix Mag), talks about it like its an epidemic problem Phoenix area. True that?
Drophouses are houses that look a lot alike and are very close together. They look like they were "dropped" on the lots.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 PM

157 posts, read 453,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Drophouses are houses that look a lot alike and are very close together. They look like they were "dropped" on the lots.
Don't know where you got that.

When I think of drop houses, I think of homes used to house illegals until they can be dispersed into the city.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM

214 posts, read 961,625 times
Drophouses are abandonded homes that are used to house criminal activity, such as storing drugs/weapons...and more recently...illegals

Old 09-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
according to the article, they are everywhere and are not distinct, could be next door to you....

Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
according to the article, they are everywhere and are not distinct, could be next door to you....
Yeah, that is what they are. They are usually normal looking houses but they hide, more recently, illegals smuggled into the U.S. waiting for their families to pay for them to be "released." Many of these homes are actually not abandoned, but are purchased in cash by cartels that are involved with human smuggling rings, among other activities.

They are a problem here in Phoenix, but really, they are everywhere in the U.S. and especially in the border states. Even the Canadian border. This is not new. I remember stories in Seattle about Canadian and American drophouses that stored the largest supplies of Ecstasy, Canadian/Alaskan Pot, and weapons. In Arizona, like most issues, alarmists tend to hype up the effect in Arizona. San Diego has many more drophouses and tunnels underneath the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

One reason they are a big issue here, is that what I have noticed from most Arizonans and Phoenicians, is OUR unwillingness to allow illegal immigration and its activities to flourish here. In so many cities, like LA, Houston, NYC, San Diego, and even Seattle, people are willing to allow illegal immigration activity because they believe it is the "liberal" and socially "sympathetic" thing to do.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM

267 posts, read 898,140 times
Quote:
Seriously, do you LIVE in Phx? Drophouses are basically clubhouses for gang activity - usually they are fairly cheap rental homes (or abandoned homes, both of which there is a huge amount of in the Phx area - and in ALL the neighborhoods, not just the high crime areas)

Drophouses you usually hear about when they bust them, and find 50-80 illegal immigrants inside, with 3-4 coyotes guarding them. But, I drophouse can also hold a weapons stash, or drug equipment, or any of the other dealings of illegal activity that are used to help fund the gangs, and the coyote networks of the area.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
with 3-4 coyotes guarding them.
Oh that is funny, coyotes guarding houses! You are from South Dakota, no? You really have some goofy ideas about AZ.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_it_here View Post
Seriously, do you LIVE in Phx? Drophouses are basically clubhouses for gang activity - usually they are fairly cheap rental homes (or abandoned homes, both of which there is a huge amount of in the Phx area - and in ALL the neighborhoods, not just the high crime areas)

Drophouses you usually hear about when they bust them, and find 50-80 illegal immigrants inside, with 3-4 coyotes guarding them. But, I drophouse can also hold a weapons stash, or drug equipment, or any of the other dealings of illegal activity that are used to help fund the gangs, and the coyote networks of the area.
Are you a drophouse owner? LOL, j/k...you seem to know alot about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area