Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times

Advertisements

New home construction lowest since 1991, our unemployment is up. People still aren't buying homes.
Arizona is one of the hardest hit in this economic disaster. Does anyone ever think of moving to a more stable area of the country? Some states such as Oklahoma are fairing pretty well. Just curious to see if this is effecting anyone or is it mainly people in the construction or home improvement industry.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
I have to say, I'm kind of curious how the folks who were cheering on the housing collapse when it first began are feeling now. I remember when prices first started falling, how many people here on this board were extremely pleased.

Still pleased?
Pleased but angry at those who caused the problem?
Seeing light at the end of the tunnel?
Seeing further doom and gloom?
Surprised by how things have spiraled into a big mess?
Not surprised by that at all?

Not criticizing those folks - clearly there was a LOT of dirty-dealing going on in the housing/mortgage industry that had inflated prices, and many locals were being priced out of the housing market - just curious how they feel about it now.

Ken

Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
I'd buy a house if someone sold me a "ready to move in" one for under $90k ^_^

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
Actually, sales for homes in AZ are UP year over year in August, but slightly down from July - of course prices are still down year over year. But the new listings is down, numbers of sales are up, and new home construction almost non-existent. In my neighborhood of Casa Grande, the same trends seem to be happening. Less new listings vs sales (according to azcentral.com weekly sales figures) and the median price is holding pretty steady and actually increased this week, abeit one week does not a trend make.

Combined with (whether you agree with the tactics of the US Treas/FED or not) the new plans announced this morning, maybe we ll actually start to catch up more quickly now. I actually believe this to be the case, although I think Im still in the minority.

For the sales figures I quoted check out the ARMLS and AZ Central websites.

www.armls.com

www.azcentral.com - click on data central and enter your zip code for weekly home sales.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
The slowdown has slammed us pretty hard, but we are old enough to have weathered several economic crashes and this one will pass in time. I recall the tech industry crash and how hard and deep that hurt while the real estate industry at that point started to climb. I think it is time Americans start to become savers.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 AM

824 posts, read 2,336,005 times
Quote:
"I have to say, I'm kind of curious how the folks who were cheering on the housing collapse when it first began are feeling now. I remember when prices first started falling, how many people here on this board were extremely pleased."
"Still pleased?
Pleased but angry at those who caused the problem?" . . .
I personally wonder how those who spinned that house prices were at a bottom in 2006 and 2007 and 2008 feel about those whom they helped to make a terribly unwise financial decision.

I was pleased when the bubble burst in the same sense that I am pleased when I toss a baseball in the air and gravity returns it to the Earth, or possibly to my mitt. A crash in housing prices following the largest lending/price bubble in history was inevitable. The severe recession (or worse) that is accompanying a six-figure loss in bubble-based wealth for millions of people was also inevitable. There was no way that could have been avoided once that wealth was lost, regardless of whether those dollars were spent via HELOCs, etc.

Had we faced the reality of economic cycles years ago, and not tried to Greenspan our way out of them by setting interest rates at insanely low levels for years, we would have taken our medicine and moved on. But the easy cash flowed in, and the specuvestors (including plenty of locals) followed the advice of RE agents licensed with minimal standards and loan brokers unlicensed with zero standards. It does not take a MENSA member to figure how that was going to play out.

So, thank you, Greenspan, HELOC/credit-card spending yahoos, speculators and brokers of all kind; you have really made us all a little broker.

The Republic will survive, but the question of whether Arizona houses (and most assets) will deflate for the next several years has been clearly answered. When RTC version 2.0 is unloading houses in parcels of twenty, I see zero chance of prices not being significantly lower.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
New home construction lowest since 1991, our unemployment is up. People still aren't buying homes.
Arizona is one of the hardest hit in this economic disaster. Does anyone ever think of moving to a more stable area of the country? Some states such as Oklahoma are fairing pretty well. Just curious to see if this is effecting anyone or is it mainly people in the construction or home improvement industry.
Thanks
Funny you mention Oklahoma. I have two properties there that I have been trying to sell. Things are pretty much the same - no buyers, low ball offers, and falling prices, and people whose financing falls through when you do accept an offer.

AZ homeowners are, in some ways, better off. When prices fall in OK they come down from pretty much non-inflated values so you loose "real" money not paper gains that were years ahead of where they should be. My Arizona home has dropped a lot but still enjoyed a much higher rate of appreciation than the OK stuff over the same period. The price I might get today in AZ is not a problem for me. It's the lack of serious buyers and all the games one has to play to sell a home. My sales are fortunately discretionary and I am not going to play games with vultures and fools. But don't think this thing is confined to AZ. Many, many people are hurting all over the country - the world even. Like Lord Balfor said, be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, the sunbelt is the place to be for the long haul. OK, AR will grow a bit with retirees, but the boom times in the south and west are only taking a breather. If you are at the end of you career and have some money socked away, those are great places because of low prices and low taxes. But if you are young and starting out, follow the sun (and the footsteps).

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-19-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 11:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Winn, lose or draw: I predicted a 40% drop in housing prices back in 2005; people laughed at me------------if anything, I may have under estimated the crash.

Suffice to say: it is no longer funny now.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:49 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
Is it that important to buy a house? Why not just rent.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I'd buy a house if someone sold me a "ready to move in" one for under $90k ^_^
count me in on that deal...i'd even move there w/o a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area