Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone's responses on another thread, we've decided to rent for 6 months to 1 year. We're leaning toward Gilbert or Goodyear. Hubby will be working at Sky Harbor and we don't want an out-of-the-ordinary commute for the area, but I'm guessing 30-45 minutes is common. We would like a 3 bedroom, newer or heavily remodeled, 3 car-garage house. We would like a clean, friendly neighborhood with lots of kids. We would like to be close to a YMCA for swim team for our daughter and close to shopping. Actually, we would like to be REALLY close. Care to throw out any ideas on neighborhoods? Ideally, I would like to stay below $1,500 a month, but that would be negotiable for a really nice house. Hubby enjoys cycling and would like to be in an area where that is safe and easily accessible, but this is not mandatory. Hubby would work Mon-Fri at Sky Harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Check Craigslist for rentals. And then match the homes available to the amenities you need (YMCA,Etc)...All can be found with a google search.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
i like maricopa. nice new community, tons resonably priced of rentals available but its at least a 15 minute drive to about everything.

where in PA? i'm originally from wilkes-barre

Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Thanks to everyone's responses on another thread, we've decided to rent for 6 months to 1 year. We're leaning toward Gilbert or Goodyear. Hubby will be working at Sky Harbor and we don't want an out-of-the-ordinary commute for the area, but I'm guessing 30-45 minutes is common. We would like a 3 bedroom, newer or heavily remodeled, 3 car-garage house. We would like a clean, friendly neighborhood with lots of kids. We would like to be close to a YMCA for swim team for our daughter and close to shopping. Actually, we would like to be REALLY close. Care to throw out any ideas on neighborhoods? Ideally, I would like to stay below $1,500 a month, but that would be negotiable for a really nice house. Hubby enjoys cycling and would like to be in an area where that is safe and easily accessible, but this is not mandatory. Hubby would work Mon-Fri at Sky Harbor.
I suggest Ahwatukee ( southeast valley).

Good strong elementary, middle and high schools, pleasant community, a great YMCA and a wonderful 2 years old Pecos Community Pool and park open to all for free!!!

Check ahwatukee foothills newspaper on line for rentals.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:13 AM

94 posts, read 349,577 times
Default Arcadia

Arcadia is a wonderul neighborhood. Nice mature area with excellent schools, close commute and the famous Brophy Swim Team (year round competitve)
Brophy Sports Campus is nearby. Plus all the shopping and dining of both Old Town Scottsdale and the Biltmore areas. Not to mention they have their own neighborhood market, coffee shop, pizzeria and wine bar. The three car garage may prove difficult as most of the homes are older ranch style homes. It may be worth the trade off though! You can find out alot about the neighborhood in their community paper Arcadia News - Your Source For Neighborhood News Since 1993 Their is a wonderful sense of community and the neighbors are very active in maintaining a great family neighborhood. You can defitinitly get a decent house for under $1500 a month.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
solicited advice where?
i know 3 tenants that have paid off all my mortgages.
i am so appreciative but i still keep charging them rent.
the only thing that happens with a renter is they get older, get a few more toys than me, usually new cars and big entertainment systems, and a few more parties and good times than me. they eat fewer tortilla and bean meals than me. actually now that all mortgages are paid, i cut back on the tortillas and beans.
not to appear too much the bad guy, but my motive is pure. its to encourage you to continue to be an owner rather than a renter.
so the advice is rent nowhere.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 AM

111 posts, read 226,489 times
Goodyear to Sky Harbor airport will be a brutal commute, much longer than 45 mins and that stretch of I-10 is only getting worse by the day!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 AM

111 posts, read 226,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
solicited advice where?
i know 3 tenants that have paid off all my mortgages.
i am so appreciative but i still keep charging them rent.
the only thing that happens with a renter is they get older, get a few more toys than me, usually new cars and big entertainment systems, and a few more parties and good times than me. they eat fewer tortilla and bean meals than me. actually now that all mortgages are paid, i cut back on the tortillas and beans.
not to appear too much the bad guy, but my motive is pure. its to encourage you to continue to be an owner rather than a renter.
so the advice is rent nowhere.
stephen s
san diego ca
Stephen,

For your "advice" you appear to be entirely ignorant of fundamentals and a little something important to investors called the P/E.

Right now it is cheaper to rent than buy. Like it or not it's cheaper.

In addition the Phoenix market isn't predicted to hit bottom until about 2009. Yes, in the long run "owning" is better (I put it in quotes because until you pay a house off in full you're just renting from the bank); however, when a house is going to be cheaper next month or next year, buying it today is S-T-U-P-I-D.

In addition, buying in a new city one doesn't know is really dumb. And it's especially dumb in a down market where you won't be able to get rid of your house if you decide you want to move. When I moved to Arizona I was told I'd love north Scottsdale so I moved there and boy did I hate it. Glad I rented and could bail out quickly.

7 years of living in Phoenix/Scottsdale left me with the impression that "owning" there is mostly about ego and status rather than fundamentals and your post only further solidified that for me. Either that or you're a realtor or mortgage broker, if there are any still in business.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 AM

376 posts, read 490,349 times
If you are a nonsmoker, could you move downstairs? I would like to keep the windows open this year-haven't been able to for about 4 years now thanks to the smokers around me. Can't you people keep your cancer smoke INSIDE your dwelling? Why must it waft up into my window? Why can't we pass a law allowing for nonsmoking buildings for long terms rentals? Grrr.
This should have been its own thread. Sorry bout that.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
Stephen,

For your "advice" you appear to be entirely ignorant of fundamentals and a little something important to investors called the P/E.

Right now it is cheaper to rent than buy. Like it or not it's cheaper.

In addition the Phoenix market isn't predicted to hit bottom until about 2009. Yes, in the long run "owning" is better (I put it in quotes because until you pay a house off in full you're just renting from the bank); however, when a house is going to be cheaper next month or next year, buying it today is S-T-U-P-I-D.

In addition, buying in a new city one doesn't know is really dumb. And it's especially dumb in a down market where you won't be able to get rid of your house if you decide you want to move. When I moved to Arizona I was told I'd love north Scottsdale so I moved there and boy did I hate it. Glad I rented and could bail out quickly.

7 years of living in Phoenix/Scottsdale left me with the impression that "owning" there is mostly about ego and status rather than fundamentals and your post only further solidified that for me. Either that or you're a realtor or mortgage broker, if there are any still in business.
wow. yes sir. did you want fries that?
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area