Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM

22 posts, read 98,541 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Chicago suburbs (Naperville), but want to relocate to the Phoenix area. I've got my eye on Scottsdale, but my wife seems to be eying Gilbert. What are the pro's and con's of each community? How are the schools? Crime? Etc. It's one thing to read about these cities, but I want to hear first hand from the people that live there. I appreciate all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Scottsdale is home to the "rich and famous" and all sorts of resorts and spas. It's where you'll find fancy stores and fancy restaurants. It's a nice suburb, no doubt, but certainly can be expensive.
Gilbert is more of a family-friendly, low crime (17th safest city in America), soccer-mom type suburb. It's also nice and it's more affordable.
Either city will have good schools.
Where work will be could be a deciding factor. If one is closer to work than the other, perhaps choose that city....

Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Scottsdale is a long, narrow city, with the older, lower income areas at the south end. It's not all the stereotype as Ritchie describes, but the northern part, particularly, is higher income, higher price. There are very nice family oriented neighborhoods in Scottsdale, too. There's crime everywhere, but neither Scottsdale nor Gilbert have large crime problems. There are good schools in both cities. I agree with Ritchie that your commute needs to be factored in, even more so now with gas prices as they are. You are going to need to come see for yourself, perhaps rent before you buy. Anonymous internet forums can only guide you so much. Keep lots of grains of salt handy, and good luck to you on your move, whatever you decide!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM

My wife and I actually both work out of the home. We are online college educators. The best thing about working from home is the commute! One flight of stairs beats the heck out of a 60 minute car ride any day.

I have a relative that lives in the northeast part of Scottsdale and loves it there. He's just a short walk or bike ride to some great mountain trails. We spent about 2 weeks with them last summer. Yes - that's right - we vacationed there in the summer. We wanted to see what the big deal was about a little hot weather. Honestly, I didn't find it that bad. My wife is a little more sensitive to the heat, but thinks she can adjust.

My concern about Gilbert is recreational opportunities. Am I going to be driving quite a ways to get to anything fun (hiking, biking, parks, etc)?

Also, we recently moved from one town to our current town because the old neighborhood started to get a little red-necky (if that is even a word). It was a nice neighborhood, but seemed like overnight, every neighbor had mohawks, tattoos, big pick-up trucks in the driveways, big noisy kegger parties in the driveways, etc. Are we going to have to be careful of landing in the middle of the same scenario in Gilbert, or is Gilbert more of normal, white-collar community?

No offense to any red-necks out there. :-)

Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
You are not likely to find a large number of mohawks and tattoos and kegger parties in the driveways in Gilbert. While the percentage of Mormons there is significantly lower than many (who don't live there, mostly) perceive it to be, it is still as described, a family oriented community.

Plenty of parks in Gilbert. As far as the high desert hiking like you describe in north Scottsdale, that's not the topography in Gilbert, it's pretty flat. Plenty of parks, I'm sure there are areas that are nice for biking.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Is Chandler much different than Gilbert?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Have you considered Estrella in Goodyear? Tons of hiking and biking right outside your door... and the parks are pretty nice, too.

Estrella - Goodyear, Arizona

(Sorry, had to throw that plug in there... now, back on topic....)

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Have you considered Estrella in Goodyear? Tons of hiking and biking right outside your door... and the parks are pretty nice, too.
Looks nice. How are the schools?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,390 times
I second Estrella and especially Vistancia. If we worked from home Vistancia would be my pick due to schools, air and recreation right outside your door. Check out the websites,its awesome and affordable if you do not need to be near work.

Gilbert I must say does have some areas that could become, well ,like you described. But not too many. Just take a look around. Any of the nicer subdivisions like Val Vista Lkes, Spectrum at Val Vista, Layton Lakes,Morrison Ranch,Higley Estates etc. are not going to have that feel AT ALL. there are many areas to choose from here in Gilbert that, and a strong HOA I have decided may be necessary unless you have breathing room in a horse property area. But there is no where in Gilbert that I feel unsafe driving through just some areas that are a bit unkempt.
An HOA that maintains a nice landscape and little pocket parks really adds a lot to the feel of your neighborhood, due to the desert environment. This is something a Midwesterner may not understand before moving here. You want to drive to your new home and pass pretty trees, and little parks of either grass and palms or attractive cactus, palo verde and stone beds. In the Midwest a low income neighborhood can put little effort into some grass and trees and its presentable, but here in the desert it takes more $$ to make the grounds presentable.

Gilbert is closer to many of the things you may want to check out like museums and parades and shopping in the East Valley. Peoria has nice shopping along Happy Valley not sure about Estrella Mountain Ranch.

Last edited by hart4july; 02-26-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Estrella Mountain Elementary (which is also a middle school) is an "Excelling School" (which is the highest ratings they give in Arizona), Westar Elementary (again, also serves as middle school) is a "Highly Performing School" (second highest rating), and Estrella Foothills High is an "Excelling School". So the schools are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area