Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 PM

9 posts, read 16,555 times

Advertisements

so we are moving to phoenix and i have people scaring me so i wont what is so bad about phoenix i have lived in utah my whole life and i hate the weather i want to move were its warm all year so what if its hot in summer its better than 10 degrees in the winter right! so if anyone has input that would be so great! were are excited i have 2 kids that cant wait!!!! is it really that bad there it cant be worse than utah!!! please give me your input if you know both states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
You'll be alright. Enjoy our sunny weather (^_^)

Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
I know northern UT can be very cold in the winter....even tough ol' Brigham Young had a "winter home" down in Dixie!....

it will be bright and very warm here in May and June and very humid and pretty miserable in July and August.....but we deal with it somehow.....

take care of the kids....and take care of yourself....all kinds of people down here, but slightly fewer young people than up there

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 PM

40 posts, read 111,202 times
Heat is much easier to deal with then cold weather. One thing people often forget to take into consideration when comparing extremely cold winters to extremely hot summers are the nights.

Winters in a state like Utah are very cold during the daytime, and just when you think it couldn't get any worse -- night falls and it drops ten or twenty more degrees.

In Arizona, we have an average of 110 days during the year when the temperature will reach or exceed 100°F, but on those days after 8:00pm people forget that the weather becomes comfortable again. Temperatures will generally have fallen to at least 95°F by that time, and trust me, after a sizzling day of 110°F a temperature at or around 95°F will feel wonderful. The lack of sun also plays a big role in making the later hours of the day a nice time go to outdoors. Or at least, nicer than the 15°F that many northern states experience at night during their winter months.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_680 View Post
Heat is much easier to deal with then cold weather. One thing people often forget to take into consideration when comparing extremely cold winters to extremely hot summers are the nights.

Winters in a state like Utah are very cold during the daytime, and just when you think it couldn't get any worse -- night falls and it drops ten or twenty more degrees.

In Arizona, we have an average of 110 days during the year when the temperature will reach or exceed 100°F, but on those days after 8:00pm people forget that the weather becomes comfortable again. Temperatures will generally have fallen to at least 95°F by that time, and trust me, after a sizzling day of 110°F a temperature at or around 95°F will feel wonderful. The lack of sun also plays a big role in making the later hours of the day a nice time go to outdoors. Or at least, nicer than the 15°F that many northern states experience at night during their winter months.
Great point and if I may add to that, heat doesn't disrupt your life the way cold does

1. Airports are not shutting down
2. Schools and Offices are not closing down due to weather
3. Roads are not icy and dangerous.
4. You don't have to wear gloves, hats, scarves, boots wherever you go.
5. No shoveling driveways, no scraping windows
6. You don't have to leave your car on for 5 minutes before you leave because it's so cold outside
7. Air conditioning in a really hot summers comes on much faster than heat in a car in a cold winter
8. You don't deal with diseases such as Asthma, Multiple Sclerosis, Raynauds, Rheumatoid exacerbation, Upper Respiratory Illnesses to the same degree because they are associated with cold
9. Even during the worst days of summer, you can still swim in the pool and enjoy the shade with misters. During the worst parts of winter, it doesn't matter how many layers you have on, you can't comfortably remain outside for very long.

And to be honest, nearly every place in Phoenix is airconditioned so it's not a big deal to walk from an air conditioned building to your car. It's not the same as walking in 35 degree weather with wind in your face; that's far worse.

I understand the cold has many charms of its own: snow, fire places, white Christmas etc. however it doesn't provide the same type of advantages that warmth does namely convenience! I understand that some people will always prefer a cold winter over a hot summer. However, no one can argue that cold weather is more convenient or easier but it's just something you prefer for personal reasons.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-16-2009 at 04:03 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
You'll be just fine here. The heat IS easier to deal with than the cold, disrupts life a lot less.

Lots of good areas here with neighborhoods for families. Hope your move goes smoothly.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
I know this person is hard to understand, but I doubt they are scared of the heat. I believe they are talking about crime(kidnapping), but thats not something the average person has to deal with.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
Or if you are coming to Phoenix without a job - that could be cause for concern. Especially with children to care for.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
I know this person is hard to understand, but I doubt they are scared of the heat. I believe they are talking about crime(kidnapping), but thats not something the average person has to deal with.
the kidnapping yes we heard about! that does scare me some, but some people are so set in there lives were they are they freak when they hear about other places and automatically think that state is worse! is it true az has a high rate of kidnapping?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 PM

thank you so much for all your input it really helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area