Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 36,757 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, looking into buying a home in the neighborhood. I really fell in love with historic type homes, something about them just feels right.
Now I did find one available in the Historic district, on 16st in between Mcdowell and Thomas.
If anyone can contribute some thoughts and experience on the area it'll help me alot.

Last edited by artsyfartsy; 02-25-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 PM

240 posts, read 837,895 times
The Coronado Historic District appears to be in the 85006 ZIP code. Click here to view a crime map for that ZIP code, and you will see thumbtacks for the types and locations of crime.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
The eastern boundary of the district is either 13th or 14th street according to the City's website. 16th Street itself does not look too inviting along there.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
It's pretty hit & miss in this neighborhood. There are some streets that contain homes which are very well kept up: shade trees, manicured lawns, etc. ... but being that it's an older area, you'll find a share of dilapidated properties. I'm sure there are some problems with crime & gangs, but not as much as in other sections of Phoenix.

If you're looking for something safe in an older historic area, you might want to try the Encanto, Palmcroft, or Willo neighborhoods. They are also centrally located, but much nicer overall. However, the homes are very pricey ... which is to be expected since you basically get what you pay for.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Something else to consider: judging by news reports of many businesses closing along near McDowell/16 St, change may be in the air for Coronado since the illegal aliens are leaving in droves. Translation: gentrification may be waiting in the wings. Too; we are discussing more 'regular' folks buying in since the Yuppie class is in life support courtesy of the Great Recession.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
Lived on the edge of Coronado for several years(14th street and Thomas).....washed and waxed the car one beautiful Sunday afternoon while listening to the Police helicopter, sirens. Turned out that on the Coronado side of 14th and Thomas(one block away), a guy was murdered while in a argument, in plain site, sunny day. But that's just life in central Phoenix, sad but not a "biggie". I'd live in Coronado, but wouldn't walk after dark.
You might look at Cherry neighborhood, go north on 14th street from Thomas, past the Fountains in the Green apartments(betch didn't know that was there, hidden away). Cherry historic has beautiful homes, tree lined streets, yet across 16th street is a illegal infested area that has deteriorated over the last 10 years into gangland. Sad, and I agree with azbear.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 AM

338 posts, read 1,624,287 times
I agree that it is pretty hit or miss in that area. 16th Street and Thomas is a yucky little pocket. I used to live in these luxury loft apartments just North of there on Osborn. The apartments were nice when they were first built However, the surrounding area was GHETTO. We actually saw discarded hypo needles in the parking lot.

I do like the historical districts though and they seem to keep them up nicely as there is a lot of pride of ownership there. I know what you mean about the older houses just feeling right. The house we lived in was built in 1917 in the Roosevelt district near 5th Avenue and McDowell area and it had so much charm and character. We really loved living there and we did for almost 4 years and always felt safe. The Willo district was close by had beautiful million dollar homes and it seemed like a quiet safe neighborhood. Living in the historical district puts you close to South Phoenix but there is an over pass that separates the bad area from the nicer parts of the historical district.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 36,757 times
Thanks for the insight everyone I really appreciate it. I also think "bad" neighborhoods is really a perception of the person as well. Like what drb85650 stated.."no biggie". I grew up in the south side of tucson through my life.. When I go visit I notice how bad of a neighborhood it really was, but it was my home and I new nothing different at the time.. Just last night I got pulled over riding my bike through "old town" gilbert, and the officer hit me with "well you just happen to be riding in the worst part of town" of course I laughed in his face. I might just pass this up and look around for something better, the comfort of safety is key in a home.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Lived on the edge of Coronado for several years(14th street and Thomas).....washed and waxed the car one beautiful Sunday afternoon while listening to the Police helicopter, sirens. Turned out that on the Coronado side of 14th and Thomas(one block away), a guy was murdered while in a argument, in plain site, sunny day. But that's just life in central Phoenix, sad but not a "biggie". I'd live in Coronado, but wouldn't walk after dark.
You might look at Cherry neighborhood, go north on 14th street from Thomas, past the Fountains in the Green apartments(betch didn't know that was there, hidden away). Cherry historic has beautiful homes, tree lined streets, yet across 16th street is a illegal infested area that has deteriorated over the last 10 years into gangland. Sad, and I agree with azbear.
Yet for weird: once one crosses Osborn along 16th St, the area turns decent for the most part.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:32 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet for weird: once one crosses Osborn along 16th St, the area turns decent for the most part.
That would be all along Osborn west of 16th Street, through the Central Corridor. It's interesting how Osborn between 7th and 16th Streets seems very upper class, while the neighborhoods north and east become more run down. I think it might have something to do with the close proximity of Phoenix Country Club. The neighborhoods surrounding it seem to be very well maintained ... more than likely to keep up with the higher end aesthetics of the country club. Just my thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area