Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times

Advertisements

Okay, so Hubbie was trying to get transferred to his company's Tempe plant, and in the meantime we visited and fell in love with the city of Gilbert. Now, Hubbie has been offered a great job at his company's Glendale plant instead, which is just west of the 101 and north of Camelback Rd. He is being very stubborn and still wants to move to Gilbert, but the commute will be about an hour one way in the AM, since he will be going in at 5 AM, well before rush hour traffic, and longer in the PM, depending on when he gets his work done.

My question is: is there anywhere in the West Valley that has the same "vibe" as Gilbert, as in, family friendly, newer subdivisions that are well-maintained, good schools, good shopping with fairly new malls, lifestyle centers, restaurants, etc. (think: San Tan Village and Chandler Fashion Square Mall)? Our son also has to commute to the downtown campus of ASU for the next four years, so somewhere like Surprise would probably be too far out. I am open to any suggestions. I wish we had toured the West Valley when we were out there in April, but who knew? Is the commute from Peoria to downtown Phoenix a tough one? Some of our son's classes are in the AM and may coincide with rush hour.

Thanks! BTW, I honestly did try to research this subject before starting a new thread, cuz I know that a few people here a kind of ouchy about that, but I honestly couldn't find any threads comparing Gilbert to anywhere in the West Valley. We really like the Old Town Scottsdale area too, and were looking forward to at least living on the same side of town as that area. Would it be ridiculous to look in the area around the 101 and N. Scottsdale, or would that also be the commute from hell over to west Glendale?

Any and all suggestions and opinions are welcome! We need advice!

ETA: If there are any parts of North Phoenix, in the Happy Valley/101 area that are family friendly with good schools, we are also open to that. Our realtor did suggest though, that we avoid Glendale, and we tend to agree with him on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:52 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
the arrowhead ranch area may suit your tastes

i'm also very bullish on my home city of goodyear, although our mall is on economic delay..........

Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
Where exactly is Arrowhead Ranch? Is it in Phoenix? I will Google it and check it out, and thanks for the suggestion.

I should add that we already have a wonderful realtor that we really like, just in case anyone responds who wants to try to solicit our business. He is very knowledgable, but he lives in and specializes in Gilbert, so I was hoping to get some feedback from others who live in the West Valley as well as seek his opinion. We may still end up in Gilbert if Hubbie won't consider any other areas, but I am just thinking that he would soon tire of the commute.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 PM

157 posts, read 422,254 times
North part of Glendale (85308) is very nice and has one of better school districts in the state (Deer Valley). North Peoria has nice newer communities like WestWing or Vistancia that could compete with anything that Gilbert has to offer. Travel time from community like WestWing to downtown Phoenix should be around 30 to 40 minutes in rash hour traffic. West valley has Arrowhead Mall, Westgate and within short drive to Desert Ridge. I really dont see anything special that Gilbert has to offer that you cant find in north parts of Glendale or Peoria.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 PM

I think he'd hang himself after a while with that commute - there are a lot of good part of the city

arrowhead ranch is different things to different people - i generally think of the area from bell road north to the 101 from 75th avenue to 59th avenue ......... some really nice established neighborhoods there, kind of little quiet alcoves right next to any amenity you can image

i think most of it is in glendale

Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Where exactly is Arrowhead Ranch? Is it in Phoenix? I will Google it and check it out, and thanks for the suggestion.

I should add that we already have a wonderful realtor that we really like, just in case anyone responds who wants to try to solicit our business. He is very knowledgable, but he lives in and specializes in Gilbert, so I was hoping to get some feedback from others who live in the West Valley as well as seek his opinion. We may still end up in Gilbert if Hubbie won't consider any other areas, but I am just thinking that he would soon tire of the commute.

Thanks!
Arrowhead Ranch is located in northwest corner of loop 101. Its located in Glendale on a border with Peoria. I know your hobby is set on Gilbert but what specific things that he likes about town of Gilbert?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think he'd hang himself after a while with that commute - there are a lot of good part of the city

arrowhead ranch is different things to different people - i generally think of the area from bell road north to the 101 from 75th avenue to 59th avenue ......... some really nice established neighborhoods there, kind of little quiet alcoves right next to any amenity you can image

i think most of it is in glendale
Zip code 85308 has the most millionaires in the state at least it had couple of years ago when I read that story

Old 05-19-2009, 11:43 PM

There is one thing that North Peoria or Glendale does not have that Gilbert still has which are farms and cows

Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 PM

you can hit the occasional farm as you work your way south in glendale - one of the things i still find neat about this metro

Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
you can hit the occasional farm as you work your way south in glendale - one of the things i still find neat about this metro
I would suggesting of sticking with north side of Glendale.
I dont have issue with farms but I just dont like smell of cows when a wind blows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area