Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 13,082 times

Advertisements

Hi guys -
I've been reading through some of these forums and it seems like this advise is spot on! Here is the deal...we are the typical active academic late 20's early 30's liberal couple who are moving to the area. Both of us have lived all over the place, from Paraguay, Alaska and Puerto Rico to Vermont, Memphis, Seattle and Mexico. Now, its time to buy and dig roots...for a short 4 year time period. Here is the trouble AND the reason I'm inclined to start a new discussion. One job puts us in North Scottsdale, another out east on Shea and a third will be in downtown Phoenix next year. where this really puts us is in...commuter hell.
We have 200,000 to dump on a house and I'm not scared of a little work, although with the current state of affairs it might be better to take someone's flip. I'm thinking that the only areas that make sense are the east side of the North Phoenix corridor (commute via Shea, or 101 and 51) or somewhere pegged up against 101 in central Scottsdale. Am I wrong here? I've also heard that if you are not careful, you can end up being to only occupied home on the block. Is that true? This is all map work done by me without any real connection to what the area "feels" like. I've read the some other posts, but it seems that this central corridor has not been fully described in awhile.
We are looking to hold for 4 years (contracts will be up) and then decide what to do. What neighborhoods are the most stable in terms of their potential to hold value? I'd rather not deal with plastic people or plastic houses, HOA's and diggers or daddies.
It seems like 200,000 can something in the comfortable-nice range which allows a bit of freedom to pick location and style. Any thoughts?
Please let me know what additional info would be helpful.
I'm drawn to a little tiny 1950's house on a great big 1 acre lot in the middle of Dear Valley (I think). Those blocks look like the area that the sub-dividers stayed away from for some reason. Seems like an outlier, but I guess I'm attracted to that. Can you help us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM

I forgot to say...no kids and I'm a Giants fan.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 PM

385 posts, read 1,260,846 times
the slums of Arcadia. Great location, very central.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I don't think you can buy even a fixer upper in true Arcadia for 200,000. I don't know for sure where "the slums of Arcadia" are, and I grew up there. If it's the area I'm thinking of, it's not what I call Arcadia at all.

I think it's a bit extreme that you could be the only occupied home on a block in an established area. It could theoretically happen, but I don't think it's a serious issue.

That central corridor along the 51 is variable as far as the size and type and age of house, and the general quality of the neighborhood, but I think you could find something that would fit your needs for four years; by then, the overall resale market better be better.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Again, the main worry here is commuting. Neither of us like sitting in cars and one of us goes to Mayo Hospital (north of 101) and Mayo Clinic (East of 101) and another goes to downtown. How are the reverse commutes in the area? I'm guessing they are significant, but I can't tell because of the sprawl factor. Again, we appreciate the help.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Well, going northeeast in the AM to the Mayo won't be bad, coming back, Shea can get busy both ways, but should get better past the 101. Downtown, of course, is not a reverse commute, but it could be worse.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM

17 posts, read 40,052 times
McCormick Ranch in central Scottsdale is nice. Really nice green belt with a nice bike path completely out of traffic. Very green there. Homes from the late 70s that might be available in the 200s at this time. Easy access to the 101.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
how about something in the central or uptown (Indian School, Camelback) part of Phx?.....colossal amount of choices, of course, and certainly not plastic....the reverse commute to the two Mayos would be a breeze if done at normal M-F 9-5 hours.....very established 'hoods, convenient

those abandoned blocks of houses are in the new subdivisions way out in the suburbs built recently....foreclosures and all that

what are diggers and daddies?......

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM

More great info! I've seen people constantly referring to Golddiggers and Sugar daddies when talking about specific areas of Scottsdale. I guess we are Less LA and more Washington/Portlandesque when it comes down to it.

I'm starting to like the Central Corridor area more and more as the hunt continues. Seems like there are interesting houses in various states of development which suits us. I've worked restoring buildings in the past. Can someone give me reverse commute times from just north of the mountain preserve to the Mayo Clinic off of Shea?

Does anyone know about a little area they call Paradise Ranchitos in North Phoenix?

See you guys in a few months!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM

157 posts, read 422,168 times
I would suggest area around Cactus and 40th st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area