Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,384 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

As a lot of other people on here, I too am thinking of moving to Phoenix. Just that the move for me is more based on my singing career than anything. I am an emerging professional Opera singer and need to move to a city that is close to one of the audition meccas of the country: NYC, Houston, Chicago, or LA. Knowing how cheap tickets are from PHX to LAX makes this city very lucrative to me, not to mention two opera houses, a confirmed voice teacher at ASU to get me ready for audition season, recording studios, and accompanists.
The only thing keeping me from making a decision is the current job market.

Not only do I have a Master's in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy, meaning I can teach voice lessons, but I am also a native speaking German and able to teach diction in that language (and the language itself if there is need in public schools), but am a licensed health insurance agent for AZ, a pharmacy technician, and have worked 4 years in a call center.

The question is, has the job market improved in 2009 in your opinion? Do you believe that based on the experience I have that there are jobs available in those sectors?

Any information would be greatly appreciated and taken into advisement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM

157 posts, read 422,207 times
More and more people cutting down on their expenses and voice/second language classes are on top of that list. I'm not sure at all about health insurance industry so I cant speak there but USAA is still hiring for their call center jobs in North Phoenix.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM

82 posts, read 210,465 times
I am also a licensed health insurance agent in AZ. I work with many clients and though my take is purely anecdotal, I am seeing that the economy here does seem to be experiencing a slight comeback. I know of a few companies which are starting to hire back previously laid-off workers, particularly in the architect profession.

But again, I would not want to take responsibilty for your moving here just based on what I'vesaid. This is not scientific study, it's just what I have personally seen.
But it's all I've got.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM

82 posts, read 210,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaMove View Post

Not only do I have a Master's in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy, meaning I can teach voice lessons, but I am also a native speaking German and able to teach diction in that language (and the language itself if there is need in public schools), but am a licensed health insurance agent for AZ, a pharmacy technician, and have worked 4 years in a call center.

The question is, has the job market improved in 2009 in your opinion? Do you believe that based on the experience I have that there are jobs available in those sectors?

And one other thing, my niece just got a job teaching Latin in a private school in Scottsdale. Maybe if you are looking to teach German, private schools would be the way to go.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,384 times
Thank you so much for your responses!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Your fastest route right now seems to be in healthcare. I'd check out the Scottsdale CVS/Caremark call center(assuming it's still there) as a place where you can combine your pharm tech and call center skills...maybe work your way up into a training position from there. I'm pretty sure I got some recruiting calls from them or one of the other mail-order/call center pharmacies in town...and this was after the recession hit. Here in AZ, you do need a license for pharm tech, and even though I've got Tech certification, I can't remember if that's also required(from PTCB) by the state(I'm in a slightly different area of healthcare nowadays). Check out the AZ State Board of Pharmacy website to get the details. Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 PM

467 posts, read 1,190,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaMove View Post
Hey everyone!

As a lot of other people on here, I too am thinking of moving to Phoenix. Just that the move for me is more based on my singing career than anything. I am an emerging professional Opera singer and need to move to a city that is close to one of the audition meccas of the country: NYC, Houston, Chicago, or LA. Knowing how cheap tickets are from PHX to LAX makes this city very lucrative to me, not to mention two opera houses, a confirmed voice teacher at ASU to get me ready for audition season, recording studios, and accompanists.
The only thing keeping me from making a decision is the current job market.

Well, well, well. Interesting that you have a masters in Vocal Performance - Classical. My daughter is in her last year up at NAU and she too is a Vocal Performance major/Classical. She is a Metso Saprano. Here vocal coach, Dr. Cloud has been working with her for the last 6 years.

This year, she placed 1st in Arizona for Met auditions her in Arizona, but came in 4th in LA.

As far as Opera here in Phoenix, they do have the Phoenix Opera. However, you might want to register for their young artist program before you leave. It generally takes 1 year out to get in. All young artist already picked for the current year.

We were told, that Germany is one of the leading places for new artist to get a job if they are starting out. Only because there are so many opera house that are looking for new singers.

My daughter has one year left to get her master and then we were thinking about sending her to Europe.

You might want to take a look at this opera class in Italy. My daughter went two years ago with some of her class mates from NAU.
Northern Arizona University - Flagstaff in Fidenza

The opera class in Italy is put on by NAU in the town of Fidenza. It has one of the oldest Opera Houses in Italy

Two years ago, my wife and I went with our daughter. They traveled all over the area sing in several small towns within the local area and had the change to sing in Verdi's home town which was very cool.

Hans Nieuwenhuis, Director of International Opera Studio, Amsterdam. will be there to do a master's class. He is well connected in the Opera world in Europe.

Well, I guess what I am trying to say is that maybe there might be other places beside Phoenix that would be better. Or, Not. We were just thinking about sending our daughter to Germany because there is better opportunities for her there...so I've been told.

Although, because she is a Metso, there are not a whole lot of parts for her in German. Italian...yes. This is why we sent her to Italy two years ago.

Last edited by Head coach; 05-22-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 04:34 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
I didn't realize that Los Angeles was known for opera. I always knew that Chicago and New York were gathering spots for classical musicians and opera singers. I think you might want to look into living in an area near Chicago or New York. There are less expensive areas surrounding Chicago and New York with good job markets and good housing selections. Check out those forums for more information.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:35 AM

467 posts, read 1,190,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I didn't realize that Los Angeles was known for opera. I always knew that Chicago and New York were gathering spots for classical musicians and opera singers.
Well, this is true. However, here is a list of areas that she might want to look at within the U.S.

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Phoenix
6. Santa Fe.

These are the top 6 in the country, in order...from what I was told. LA might be one of them, but the source that told me this (Opera Star) did not mention LA.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 PM

22 posts, read 50,088 times
Welcome to Phoenix, Opera Love. I hope you enjoy your stay though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area