Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I just got a photo radar ticket and I will pay it. I will go to traffic school and get it taken off my insurance.

I have a good friend who thought he dodged the process server until he applied for an apartment lease and they told him he had a warrant for his arrest because he failed to show up for a court date for his ticket. True story! Anyway, he just paid the ticket and everything was fine. However, if he had gotten pulled over, he could have been in some trouble.

I don't know, it just seems like it varies with each individual. Some people seem to get lucky and it never shows up. While other people like my friend got a warrant for his arrest.
I got a ticket in Prescott Valley and I paid it. No traffic school and my insurance company said it didn't count against me. I could've ignored it, and got called all kinds of ditz for paying it, BUT I don't have to worry about a warrant out on me or about getting stopped. It was the first ticket I ever had in my life and, maybe, I coulda dodged it but why take the chance? I would just rather not worry about it. My hair is gray enough already!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

47 posts, read 89,161 times
We got a photo ticket while in arizona on vacation. First we received a notice from our rental car company that we owed $25 for a ticket that we assumed had been sent to them. We paid the $25. Today we received a ticket from the Arizona Public Safety for $201. Did paying the rental car company for the ticket acknowledge guilt?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times
I received a photo radar ticket. I didnt pay the ticket and had a process server come to my house. I answered the door and did not identify who I was and told him he had the wrong address and closed the door. He left the ticket in the door. Does this mean I have been served?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie122 View Post
I received a photo radar ticket. I didnt pay the ticket and had a process server come to my house. I answered the door and did not identify who I was and told him he had the wrong address and closed the door. He left the ticket in the door. Does this mean I have been served?
Yep, he knows what you look like from the ticket.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie122 View Post
I do not believe that counts as being served, I looked around online and found this, someone asked the same thing:

Quote:
This may have actually been improper service under Arizona case law. Read the case: State of Arizona v. Ager (available at http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Lower%20Court/022006/m2130074.pdf). In that case, the Superior Court held service of a civil traffic ticket improper under very similar circumstances. While I never recommend evading service, you have every right to contest these tickets and make the State serve you properly. As for your second question, you definitely have to take some action now because the process server will file an affidavit with the court stating you were properly served. Now if you fail to appear or otherwise defend against the ticket you will be defaulted and your license may be suspended. Next steps: either pay the ticket, fight it in court by moving to quash service, fight it in court on the merits by arguing there is no proof of identity or other similar photo radar argument, or some combination of these.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,958 times
Thumbs down Time's Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Technically it was an illegal presentation of service but you'll most likely end up paying the ticket penalty anyways although they might not charge you for being served and that process server will probably have a mark added on to their record.
Well, it's 12/6/10 and I've ridden this sucker out over a year now. I have now gotten my FINAL NOTICE mailed to me, basically threatening me with all sorts of fun if I don't pay $271.50 (up from original BS $197 fine - this is City of Tempe). I now know that you CAN do driving school for city photo radar tickets, but of course that's if you respond in a timely manner (ticket issued 8/17/09). The primary threat is sending it to a collection agency, adding an additional 19% collection fee, and screwing up my credit. Then of course is the suspended license threat too.

At this point my credit is already shaky with the economy and such, but a suspended license would be worse (and even more fees). I'm gonna bite the bullet and pay, but I've got til December 15th. Any other input before I proceed???

Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
I received a letter from court regarding a photo radar ticket.i went to court and they mention that i was served for this ticket. I'm %100 sure i was never served. I made an appointment for court hearing. how I can prove that i was not served?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
You can't prove a negative. You can only challenge the process server's testimony.

Bear in mind that 'alternate service' can be accepted by some courts here in AZ, and that all the process server need do is swear or submit an affidavit that he/she served a "suitable person"

God help you if you have to go through the kangaroo court that is Scottsdale Municipal. The info below is a bit dated - from when we had the fwy cameras, but still...

Arizona Freeway Speed Cameras
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area