Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:38 PM

47 posts, read 198,895 times

Advertisements

Oh to pay only $3 a gallon. As Cyanna mentioned, here in the UK it's way overpriced. I recently paid £1.10/litre, which equates to just over $8 a gallon! I filled my car today, and yesterday, and it costs me just about $100 and I get just over 300 miles out of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Georgia is way more affordable in housing prices?

Gas and housing are unliveable here in the valley. If I were you, stay in Georgia or look elsewhere that is not a "hot market" like Phoenix, overpriced and with high gas prices - ---this is the next California. I moved here and made a mistake, don't want others to do the same.

Well, I don't care for GA much. I came to Phoenix when I was in high school and that is where I wanted to live ever since. Why would I stay in GA, just because of the price of gas and housing? I'm not even looking to buy. I'll save that for when I decide to actually settle down somewhere.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:46 PM

On top of that, to buy a house the size I want and the style I want in the city I want, will cost $500 thousand and up here.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM

19 posts, read 90,809 times
I'm moving from GA too, gas prices/cost of living here aren't quite what people imagine. Bear in mind, the stats on the /100,000 sites are typically 3 or more years old and Census figures are a joke as they're based on participation. The 10% unemployment in my area as well as the minimal payscale leaves people streetfighting for $6 an hour jobs in my area.

Gas. $2.91/gallon for the 'regular' this morning when I filled up.

Rentals. $700-900 for something decent... $1100-$1500 in the nearby bigger cities.

Surely it's apparent why areas like Phoenix are attractive to so many simply on an economic scale.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM

See, I haven't left my house since Friday. I haven't needed gas in a couple of days so I don't know what the price is now.

You're right, people think it's cheap to live here, but it really isn't. And there is no words for the traffic. It almost seems as if rush hour never ends. I tried to get to a doctor appoint at 10am, left at 930. Gave up because at 1015, I was still on the top end of Atlanta, trying to make it to the bottom part. Basically had only driven about 10 miles.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndflicks View Post
I'm moving from GA too, gas prices/cost of living here aren't quite what people imagine. Bear in mind, the stats on the /100,000 sites are typically 3 or more years old and Census figures are a joke as they're based on participation. The 10% unemployment in my area as well as the minimal payscale leaves people streetfighting for $6 an hour jobs in my area.

Gas. $2.91/gallon for the 'regular' this morning when I filled up.

Rentals. $700-900 for something decent... $1100-$1500 in the nearby bigger cities.

Surely it's apparent why areas like Phoenix are attractive to so many simply on an economic scale.
Same thing here but the jobs pay less. AZ is one of the lowest paying states in the nation. 1 bedroom apartments start at $800 unless you move to a high crime area for Georgia rates. The rents in the city and nice areas are really high and going up.

If you plan to move somewhere cheaper, AZ is not the place.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 PM

I plan to move there because it's something I've wanted to do for over 10 years. I've always managed to survive everywhere I've lived. I'm not going to run away from somewhere I want to live because the gas is more expensive.

I work customer service and the job I have an interview for pays more than what I make now. I also researched apartments in Chandler and Gilbert and I've seen 2 bdrms starting in the $700s. I now pay 900 for a 3 bdrm, plus lights thats about 200, plus gas that is running me about 250-300, plus trash, and then water. It most likely would even out.

My advantage, I wouldn't be living in a state I really don't want to live in. Now if you tell me the roaches fly there also and yall are starting to have humidity, then you MIGHT start to change my mind.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:48 PM

50 posts, read 223,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cia191630 View Post
I plan to move there because it's something I've wanted to do for over 10 years. I've always managed to survive everywhere I've lived. I'm not going to run away from somewhere I want to live because the gas is more expensive.

I work customer service and the job I have an interview for pays more than what I make now. I also researched apartments in Chandler and Gilbert and I've seen 2 bdrms starting in the $700s. I now pay 900 for a 3 bdrm, plus lights thats about 200, plus gas that is running me about 250-300, plus trash, and then water. It most likely would even out.

My advantage, I wouldn't be living in a state I really don't want to live in. Now if you tell me the roaches fly there also and yall are starting to have humidity, then you MIGHT start to change my mind.
Hi Cia!

Don't let singlemother's negativity get to you. It's really too bad that she doesn't like it here, but frankly, that's not your issue to deal with. As you can tell by the growth in this area, a lot of people are moving here from other places. They like it, and they stay. As far as the cost of living here in relationship to other parts of the country-- it's lower than some places and higher than some places. If you compare us to parts of the midwest, well then, duh, we are going to seem expensive. If you compare us to California or some of the big cities back East, our housing seems like a bargain. Good luck to you on your decision to move. I moved here from out of state and I love it.

By the way, gas was 2.83 when I filled up a few days ago; I don't know if it's changed in the past couple of days. But, as you know, gas prices are going up all over the country.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cia191630 View Post

All very good points. My husband and I feel the same way. We wish to move back to the Phoenix area because we LIKE it. We also like my hometown in Simi Valley, CA, but with the average cost of buying a house there being just under half a million dollars, to rent a 3 bedroom house is over $2,000 and a 2 bedroom apartment going for $1500.

Like anywhere else Phoenix area has low paying jobs, high paying jobs and median range jobs. I never had trouble surviving there, neither as a married mother or a single mother. I would say the only time we did find ourselves in trouble was when my current husband and I got married and because he wasn't allowed to work until we could get his papers processed I was the sole earner in our family of four. It was only a problem because we were trying to save money out of the household money to pay for his papers. But really, if you want to make it in Phoenix you can, just like anywhere else. Each person forges their own destinty which is determined by their willingness to work hard for it.

We won't talk about the flying sewer roaches

Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
We won't talk about the flying sewer roaches
Awww man! You mean to tell me they migrated from the south? Please tell me you are joking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area