Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:19 PM

50,795 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

First, note that I said wondering...not worrying.

How often to they usually happen, how long do they last?

What problem is it for homeowners? Can you still use your air conditioning during them?

Thanks...a potential person moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
They happen 3-4 times a year, mostly in the heat of summer or monsoon season and depending on where you live, they make a mess. Important to be inside during the storm. If you are driving, its important to pull to the side of the road and turn your lights off. There have been pile ups on the freeway due to these massive storms. Yes you still use your AC with no problem. Its blowing dirt and dust and isn't too dangerous, just a big nuisance.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
They happen 3-4 times a year, mostly in the heat of summer or monsoon season and depending on where you live, they make a mess. Important to be inside during the storm. If you are driving, its important to pull to the side of the road and turn your lights off. There have been pile ups on the freeway due to these massive storms. Yes you still use your AC with no problem. Its blowing dirt and dust and isn't too dangerous, just a big nuisance.

That dust and Dirt is the carrier for Valley Fever. It is where the coccidioidin live. Valley fever is a disease caused by a fungus that gets into your body through your lungs. It can make you feel like you have a cold or the flu and may cause a rash.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Yes, this is true. I meant the dust and dirt isn't too dangerous to a house, AC system, auto, or landscape. It is dangerous, definitely, if you are outside in it and are breathing. LOL

Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM

542 posts, read 1,548,794 times
I haven't lived there, but we own rentals in Scottsdale and have been there during September one year and experienced a couple. One thing I noticed is that any little crack/draft you have in your dwelling (around windows, doors, etc.), you will find brown dust blown in, so you'll have to clean it up. Probably want to change your hvac filter fairly often, at least in summer. Maybe monthly. Didn't seem like it lasted very long, maybe 10 minutes?

Here's a couple links I found about them:

Haboob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haboob: Pictures, Info & Why They Exist

From the second link:
Quote:
When Do They Occur?

Summertime in Phoenix and Scottsdale is the most "stormy" time. It's considered the second rainy season that occurs each year (the first occurring in winter) in Scottsdale.
The Arizona monsoon season usually occurs between July and August (sometimes into September).
It's during this monsoon season that we have the most thunderstorms. And since haboobs are initiated by thunderstorms, you can expect to see at least one between the months of July through September in Phoenix.
Sometimes they occur in much greater frequency. The summer of 2011 was the summer of ha-boobs. Those of us who have lived here for years, had never seen anything like it.
We had 3 within two weeks. And many more thereafter.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
In the ten years I lived there I saw dust storms in every season at one time or another.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
That dust and Dirt is the carrier for Valley Fever. It is where the coccidioidin live. Valley fever is a disease caused by a fungus that gets into your body through your lungs. It can make you feel like you have a cold or the flu and may cause a rash.
You're quite right! V.F. can go from feeling nothing (the lucky ones) to as bad as death and various maladies in between those two outcomes.
Dust storms happen, there's almost always plenty of warning so you can shut down the a/c (as suggested) and close up the windows. If you leave the a/c on you've got a good chance that you're sucking outside air into your house unless it's real,real tight.

"So change your filter after even the smallest dust storm. And change it once a month during air-conditioning season. Arizona is a dusty place, even when we don’t have dust storms. One more tip: If you’re using a cheap ($1) air filter, it probably won’t catch all of the dust that sneaks into your home. In that case, the dust will pass right through the filter and into your ducts and vents—which will blow it right back into your house. Invest in a one-inch, pleated filter that costs around $4, and change it monthly."
Can a dust storm harm my air conditioning system? | Rosie On The House

Air quality : Does A Dust Storm Affect Your Indoor Air? | AirePros LLC | Air Conditioning Phoenix AZ

Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM

639 posts, read 971,553 times
They make a mess. If you have a pool, you'll need to run the system right after it passes to clear up the water. I would say more than 3-4 times a year, but a lot depends where in the valley you live. We get them quite often in the summer, definitely more than 3-4 times. We got one about 2 weeks ago too but it was quick. You get plenty of notice. The first one we encountered, I had no idea what it was. We went in a fast food place to get something to eat, came outside and it was pitch black. Definitely smart to not drive in them, since you never know if it'll be a strong one or a more mild one.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,056 times
Coincidentally, I just finished reading an article about the dust and valley fever. I will link it below. I vaguely remembered hearing about valley fever in the past, but I seem to see the topic coming up more frequently of late.

After what I've read, I probably won't view a dust storm in the same way...not that I thought they were all giggles and kicks since I have OK dust bowl survivors (and not) in the family tree, but the VF aspect takes things up a notch.

Dana Goodyear: The Valley-Fever Menace : The New Yorker

Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Most people coming here come from areas where there are also fungal diseases and such. The midwest and south have histoplasmosis, the northwest has the deadly cryptococcus gattii. The north and northeast have Lyme disease. And almost everywhere but here has to deal with aspergillus on a recurring basis. In fact, there are more cases of pulmonary fungal infections from histoplasmosis in the south and in the midwest than there are valley fever cases in the west. Does anyone in those areas worry a whole lot about it? No. And most people here don't give it a second thought either. Sorry for those who do have symptomatic cases, but they remain a tiny minority of the folks living in the affected areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area