Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM

161 posts, read 573,985 times

Advertisements

I' am currently living in San Diego as a servicemember and right now, my plan for when I get out next year is to move to Dallas, TX. But if I changed my mind (which I might, since I still have time to think about it), Phoenix would be my #1 choice, because I really like the area.

In the 5 years that I have lived in San Diego, I have made countless trips (on the weekends) to the Phoenix area. I like the scenery, the suprisingly friendly and active atmosphere, and most of all, I like the very reasonable cost of living. As for the summertime heat, I can tolerate it. I grew up in a place that not only get's boiling hot in the summer time, but also typically has about 80-90% humidity to go along with it. I figure as long as I remember to always carry a few large bottles of water with me when I go out, I should be able to avoid any heat-related injuries! lol.

Anyway, for a single guy my age with $3,000 in my savings and plans to attend college (as well as plans to get a job while going to school), would a move to Phoenix be a smart choice or one that I may regret? Also, how is the local ecomony doing there? Has there been steady job growth in the area? My major in school will be accounting, so how is the market for that and other similar business occupations in the area? Any info. is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,418,916 times
Arizona is much cheaper to live in than California, so if you are used to those housing prices, you'll be surprised when you move here.

The economy is just as bad as everywhere else, severe lack of jobs, but things seem to be turning around.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
Anyway, for a single guy my age with $3,000 in my savings and plans to attend college (as well as plans to get a job while going to school), would a move to Phoenix be a smart choice or one that I may regret? Also, how is the local ecomony doing there? Has there been steady job growth in the area? My major in school will be accounting, so how is the market for that and other similar business occupations in the area? Any info. is greatly appreciated!
First - thank you very much for your service!

Phoenix (and the surrounding area) offer a number of educational opportunities that I'm sure would suit your needs. We have of course Arizona State University - and a myriad of private colleges and universities offering quality degree programs in just about anything you might imagine.

Housing of all sorts is very affordable right now - we can thank the decline in the overall economy for this bright spot.

Contrary to how some like to portray things (I call them the "Gloom and Doomers"), there are any number of jobs available for someone in your situation - and I would assume that you might prefer part time v full time - and there are lots of those types of jobs around.

Recreationally - what do you like to do? We got it. As for sports and sporting events - we have it all here (and they just announced today that the DBacks and Colorado Rockies are moving their Spring Training to the Valley).

Please - give Phoenix some consideration - I don't believe you would be sorry!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
I've lived in Dallas and Phoenix, and I like Phoenix better. But it is up to you and what you like.

As far as colleges, there are plenty of choices: ASU, U of Phoenix, Grand Canyon and several satellite campasses for other colleges. Tons of quality community colleges, as well, where you'll stretch your GI Bill money a lot further.

As far as jobs, certainly your experience in the Navy will look great on a resume. You should be able to find something. Be sure to begin applying for jobs at least two months before getting out. Also, I don't know what your career field is in the Navy, but you might consider looking for DoD jobs at Luke AFB.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
sounds like you'll be fine with Phoenix....as you know, it's a big area with all kinds of choices for living....check all areas that interest you and get a feel for them.....very wide variety of housing options all over.....

save up your money!!!...choose your education avenue well and get experience if you can toward your desired job while in school....check options/benefits within the DOD for your education....

as you can guess, it's not a good time for jobs...lots of people chasing few opportunities....but it will be better in a few years, of course.....

Old 07-17-2009, 04:44 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
Won't the GI Bill pay for your education? ASU is a good school and housing should be reasonable around the campus.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
"Won't the GI Bill pay for your education?"

No, it'll pay a certain monthly amount (depending on how many classes one is taking) for the time you are enrolled, up to a certain dollar amount.

The last time I used it, they were paying $1,008 monthly for full-time status. Because of the winter break, December and January were usually half that amount, and they paid nothing during the summer months unless one was taking summer classes. Once one used up their allotted money (about $30,000, I think), which they had 10 years to do so, they were done receiving benefits.
So the GI Bill might not actually cover the cost of ASU, including tuition, books and other fees, depending on what the current rate is. That's why two years of community college is a smart way to go.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I would definitely go the CC route first, maybe take some real basic introductory classes during the 1st year as you gain residency (i think up the the first 6 credits the in state / out of state rates aren't that drastically different)

there is a pretty good network of them throughout the city

i know one of my buddies did this and finished with a degree from ASU West

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,892 times
I was born and raised in the Dallas area and moved to Phoenix in early June.

If your prime concern right now is college and employment while in school, I'd go with the Dallas area. The single most important factor that I can think of is looking how my colleges in each location have a School of Business. Between all the lower end jobs geared toward college students, and your military background you shouldn't have any problem finding a job while in school.

Just off the top of my head, in the DFW area you have UNT, UTA, TCU, SMU, UTD, and UD, all major universities. I think that says something about the local business environment if there is a job base strong enough to support that many Schools of Business. I personally got my undergrad in Business at UNT, and MBA at UT Dallas.

I'd say get you feet wet in DFW, get some experience and find something here in a few years.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 PM

161 posts, read 573,985 times
Thanks everyone for their inputs! Phoenix is a great city and I will definitely keep it towards the top of my list. Arizona is a beautiful state, so living in Phoenix would give me the opportunity to really enjoy it to the fullest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area