Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,740 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in the East Valley/South Valley area for around $150K ? Is it possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 02:56 AM

639 posts, read 2,710,416 times
If you want to live in far west Buckeye or far southeast valley near Florence it is doable still. Don't plan on working anywhere near downtown Phoenix or North Scottsdale atrea.

250K will get you something much closer to civilization but you still may need to fix her up a bit. Power Ranch area of Gilbert has some 250k-300k new builds.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:31 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Sure you can buy a home for $150k. The problem will be that you will be in a really BAD area. I THINK there are still new homes that are that price, but as the previous poster said it will be WAY out nowhere.

You needed to be here at least 3-4 years ago to get this price. Since then the prices have doubled in almost all areas.

You can find pretty nice areas for $225k-250k and up that don't need fixing up.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 AM

132 posts, read 516,929 times
The only thing you are going to find for that price is a condo! If you want to live more central then the only thing you are going to find for that price is a condo that has been converted from an apartment. Those suck. I would never buy an old apartment. I can't believe people do that!! What is the sales pitch? Maybe something like: Now you can OWN all of the problems associated with apartment living, you no longer have to resort to just renting them. plus you get the added bonus of not being able to move out after a lease is up because you will now have to sell this crappy apartment to someone else! LOL

Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj81 View Post
The only thing you are going to find for that price is a condo! If you want to live more central then the only thing you are going to find for that price is a condo that has been converted from an apartment. Those suck. I would never buy an old apartment. I can't believe people do that!! What is the sales pitch? Maybe something like: Now you can OWN all of the problems associated with apartment living, you no longer have to resort to just renting them. plus you get the added bonus of not being able to move out after a lease is up because you will now have to sell this crappy apartment to someone else! LOL
Very true! Don't forget too that their payments go way up to own it.

I had one, it was actually I very nice place, even though it was still an apt complex. My rent was $1050, but if I wanted to buy it the mortgage would have doubled my rent! Needless to say, we moved right out!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:48 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
For 150k you could deffinitely get a house thats a couple years old in Queen Creek, or Buckeye.

This would be fine if you worked from home, or worked close to those areas, but the drive into Phoenix would be a daily nightmare.

If you can deal with that then take a look at.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
As mentioned above, $150,000 is realistic only if you buy a condo converted from an apartment or if you live on the outer fringes of the area. Neither is desirable. It would probably be better to rent an apartment for a few years, save money, and then buy a house or a condominium that was designed as a condominium (rather than an apartment conversion).

Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
If you want to buy a reasonable house for that price, you will need to go to states like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. Arizona prices have increased by double the value than before. Pretty depressing.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:09 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
If you want to buy a reasonable house for that price, you will need to go to states like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. Arizona prices have increased by double the value than before. Pretty depressing.

Wasn't depressing for me, I finally made some money. I paid 145,000 a few years ago and sold it for 276,900 2 months ago and took the money and ran.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:21 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
If you're willing to spend around $200k, you can find a brand new home in the Laveen area of Phoenix-- only a few miles away from downtown on surface streets! (You might have to drive through some "Mexican" areas on the way there, though). Really close to South Mountain park, with great views of the Valley as well. That whole area seems to be owned by Richmond Homes-- check their website for locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area