Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 AM

16 posts, read 38,576 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to purchase a home in Arizona for retirement (not even close to that yet) and with the market the way it is we want to do this now... We are thinking we would be interested in Maricopa, Queen Creek, Florence, Buckeye,and any other smaller communities that are in a safe, clean and friendly area. We know absolutely nothing about these areas but they were mentioned to us from others. There are a few other communities but my brain is not thinking right now. Any info would be very much appreciated. Our plan is to go to Arizona in a few weeks and purchase. We are very excited about this as Arizona is beautiful. Hope to hear some great advice. :>) Ele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieril View Post
My husband and I are wanting to purchase a home in Arizona for retirement (not even close to that yet) and with the market the way it is we want to do this now... We are thinking we would be interested in Maricopa, Queen Creek, Florence, Buckeye,and any other smaller communities that are in a safe, clean and friendly area. We know absolutely nothing about these areas but they were mentioned to us from others. There are a few other communities but my brain is not thinking right now. Any info would be very much appreciated. Our plan is to go to Arizona in a few weeks and purchase. We are very excited about this as Arizona is beautiful. Hope to hear some great advice. :>) Ele
I would not purchase a home that will be left unoccupied for years. It is a property waiting for burglary or teen parties.

Also, these areas are not desirable rental areas should you decide to rent the property until you move here.

altus2006

Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM

943 posts, read 2,522,398 times
If you don't need access to the metro area, what about Casa Grande? I've stopped there a few times when traveling between PHX and Sierra Vista and it just seems so clean and new, with a reasonable amount of shopping.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
I would not purchase a home that will be left unoccupied for years. It is a property waiting for burglary or teen parties.

altus2006
I agree wholeheartedly. I, too, "pushed" retirement by buying an out of state property. It has been a headache. Ice storms toppled trees and knocked down power lines, mice got in the place, whenever I go there its just maintenance, maintenance, maintenance - no time for the fun things I was dreaming about. Then there's taxes and utility base rates and HOA dues that keeping coming in the mail whether you use them or not.

I understand the price concerns. Houses in these areas are downright cheap in some cases and it is going to be tough to get a rate of return on another investment equal to the appreciation rate over the next few years. (spare me doomers!). And if you wait the price is going to be potentially much higher. I just wonder if it is more effort than reward. I would say if it is pretty easy to get here, you can afford timewise and money-wise to make frequent and even extended visits, then it makes sense. Otherwise?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks for that tip. Yes we had considered renting and apparently were misinformed I suppose about this subject. Any other areas that you think may not be desireable areas to use a rental??? Casa Grande is another area of interest to us and we also know a few people that go there every winter. Some have also purchased there. Thanks so much for the info. Being that we are not from this area it is great to get others (who do live near by) info whether it be negitive or positive. Its just great to get it. We figure in 5 yrs when our daughter goes to unniversity, we will be regular Arizona visitors... Thanks again for the info... :>)

Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Great info. I'm very nervous about the purchase of another home in another State I might add, but now for us its a perfect time. As far as bank rates go and financing, thats not a concern to us. My husband has done alot more research than I and understands all the stuff that goes along with purchasing out of state homes but I think its great to post a ? and have it answered from those who will give you info on areas we know nothing about. Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 PM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Great info. I'm very nervous about the purchase of another home in another State I might add, but now for us its a perfect time. As far as bank rates go and financing, thats not a concern to us. My husband has done alot more research than I and understands all the stuff that goes along with purchasing out of state homes but I think its great to post a ? and have it answered from those who will give you info on areas we know nothing about. Thanks again.
Well, houses do hold up well here. There are very few natural hazards. It's not like an ice storm will topple your trees! There are several homes in my area that are seasonal. The people come from Wisconsin or Canada and stay 2-3 months and leave. They have landscapers keep up the property. You can get an alarm service too if that concerns you. The biggest problem I see is all the junk that advertisers leave in your driveway and hanging on the doors around here. I don't know who you can get to pick that up.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM

157 posts, read 422,360 times
Quote:
Thanks for that tip. Yes we had considered renting and apparently were misinformed I suppose about this subject.
Instead of regular rental I would suggest doing vacation rental. Check out VRBO.com

Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrzejn View Post
Instead of regular rental I would suggest doing vacation rental. Check out VRBO.com

Doing a vacation rental in the areas she is looking at will make some people who rented it over the internet very upset when they reach the house and see where it is located.

altus2006

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM

22 posts, read 59,583 times
I went to visit my daughter two weeks ago in the area of the 4000 E. Shapinsay Dr. Queen Creek, AZ 85240
The homes are in great shape, built within the past 4 years, and a bunch are either for sale or in foreclosure. I'm told they are selling as low as $75,000, for a 2800 sq ft two story. They were selling new for probably $150,000. You might want to plan to visit this area. Queen Creek is way undervalued right now, they are working hard to keep an open, urban community, they have a large hospital under construction, a new high school just opened, and many new shopping centers all over that area. I think it would be worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area