Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,896,425 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been seeing a lot more seperated tire treads, or Aligators as they're referred to in CB lingo, on freeways and roads these days, and more than I can ever remember.

I'm thinking maybe because of the economic crisis, people are keeping tires on their vehicles for as long as possible, either that or they're getting retreads or cheap tires, which cannot endure the hot summer conditions on the road.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,304 times
I have a lot of friends who are dingbats, LOL, and seems to run into things on a regular basis; curbs, large rocks, separations in parking garages, lots, etc and they have tires separate on new cars and new tires after a few months, LOL! I also see cars with scratch and dinged up rims/wheels which leads me to believe this is a fairly common occurrence. I am not an expert so this is all conjecture and I don't know if abusing your tires by running into things/scraping them can cause them to "fail."

Old 09-29-2009, 03:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,081,050 times
might be a summer thing.....hot tires and all that....

a group I'm in just did Adopt-A-Highway this last weekend and we, surprisingly, found fewer alligators than normal, despite not having picked up trash for longer than normal....

personally, I, too, have noticed more tire shrapnel on the roads....ADOT may be cutting back on regular cleanup due to budget concerns??

Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM

963 posts, read 2,304,541 times
I had my first tire blowout at 75 mph heading to Tuscan from Phoenix about 2 months ago. The tire had plenty of tread and I check always check air pressure before a long run. However, the blowout caused the entire tread to seperate from the tire. It was on the right front passenger side. Fortunately I knew enough to keep the car straight and allow it to coast to a stop without sudden braking. Don't know why it blew. Needless to say, I am a much more alert driver now!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 PM

27,383 posts, read 27,429,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but I've been seeing a lot more seperated tire treads, or Aligators as they're referred to in CB lingo, on freeways and roads these days, and more than I can ever remember.

I'm thinking maybe because of the economic crisis, people are keeping tires on their vehicles for as long as possible, either that or they're getting retreads or cheap tires, which cannot endure the hot summer conditions on the road.

I talk to a few people who commute a lot (long haul or regional) and most of them say its a combination of the very hot pavement and recaps. Its hard for them to have to dodge those obstacles on the freeway with 35 tons on your back. I too, noticed it wasnt as common during the cooler mos (Nov-Feb) when I lived there. That adhesive isnt tolerent to extreme heat. But Az wasnt the only place you see those. Southern Calif during summertime we get our fair share too.
And yes, some of us have no choice but to keep our tires as long as possible. We're either ghetto or rednecks (Thought Id toss that in there, lol)!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,983 times
I-10 is particularly bad for this. I think it's mostly retreads that the big trucks use. I sure hate seeing these things while I'm on the bike.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Very observant, Mike.

As others have posted, I have a feeling the "Alligators" are linked to cheap tires . . . are we importing tires from China nowadays?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM

I think the reason we're seeing a lot of "Alligators" on the roads these days is a combination of things, and I suspect, as azdr0710 mentioned, the ADOT might be cutting back on their road clean-up budget.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I-10 is particularly bad for this. I think it's mostly retreads that the big trucks use. I sure hate seeing these things while I'm on the bike.
Good point Rick, a little piece of tread on the freeway might not be a problem for somebody on 4 wheels, but for somebody on 2 wheels, it can definitely be a challenge dodging these things going 75 MPH.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 PM

219 posts, read 765,049 times
Hate the gators, they don't mix with motorcycles. I think there may be more of them on the roads today also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: