Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

31 posts, read 69,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am trying to compare the far outer suburbs to live in and purchase a home. I know many people criticize these areas, however I have lived in a few of them (as noted) and like them. I don't commute into the city, don't care about the crappy schools, etc. I spent more time going out to the desert parks and hiking farther out then going in town.

___Surprise___I rented a room in Desert Oasis.
Advantages: Good built out infrastructure. Taj Majal library.
Little bit closer to the city.
Disadvantages: Most expensive housing compared to the other areas.

___San Tan___I rented in a room in Wild Horse Estates off Felix rd. (95 miles from where I last stayed in Surprise!)
Advantages: Nothing jumps out, I just really like staying here.
Disadvantages: Really poor road infrastructure. I went to a public library that doubled as the high school library, really lame.

___Maricopa City___
Advantages: Most inexpensive homes along with Buckeye, Slightly closer to PHX, Amtrak station in town, new library.
Disadvantages: Most expensive utilities, poorest air quality, cow poop smells.

___Buckeye___
Advantages: With Maricopa, most inexpensive homes.
Disadvantages: Never stayed here.

___Apache Junction__
Advantages: Closest to Superstitions
Disadvantages: Some old ghetto parts.

Frankly most of the areas I stayed in I didn't see much difference. After living 20 years in a house from 1850 I have had it with the quaint bs, I want modernity. I want a pool for the summer. I worked outside for 2 summers in the valley, I understand the heat.

Not really concerned about house value, Im planning on spending 75K for a 3bed with a pool, if housing crashes 50% more I'm only out 35K. Big deal.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
El Mirage....My friend recently bought a 2 story $96,000 house out there that is 5 years old, has 4 bedrooms/3 bath at 2,200 square feet. Can't beat that.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
All of those locations should fit your needs. Since financially there is little difference, move to where you want to live

Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Of the ones you listed, I would prefer San Tan Valley, then maybe Maricopa and Buckeye.

One advantage of Maricopa that you listed is the Amtrak station, may also be a disadvantage. Be aware that the rail line that cuts through town is VERY busy with freight, and they don't slow down. I drive that way to get to San Diego, and in the little stretch of HWY between Maricopa and Gila Bend, you see train after train after train. But it is the closest to town, so it may be a good choice if you don't drive too far into Maricopa to find a home, maybe on the Northern fringes like Rancho El Dorado. Some of the newer stuff down honeysuckle an 5 miles East is waaaay out there to me.

San Tan Valley I prefer to the others, because I think it has a much better chance of rebounding nicer than the others (again, I'm talking areas of it that are closer to town, since San Tan Valley is huge). There's lot's more upscale housing in San Tan Valley, with many selling for over $400K in Encanterra recently, and I think it's important to have that diversity in product rather than just "starter home" subdivisions one after another. Plus, they have a hospital down there, a decent amount of shopping for "fringe" standards, and plans for a freeway to access that area from Mesa someday (not extremely soon, though).

Some of the others may suit your needs better, depending on where work will be. For instance, Suprise is nice once you get out there, but you really need a job in the West Valley for it to make sense. It is the worst part of town to try to get out of.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
By the way, sharing the public library with the High School is very common nowadays. I live in Chandler, and the closest public library to me is the one at Hamilton High School. I thought it was a little weird, too, seeing the window into the HS hallway and kids walking around, but that is how it was done. They also have public libraries, as I have frequented the Sunset Library on Ray and Rural in Chandler. I just noticed that Perry High school, a newly built Chandler District HS that is actually in the town of Gilbert, also shares the school library with the town of Gilbert. Obviously a cost savings thing.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
By the way, sharing the public library with the High School is very common nowadays. I live in Chandler, and the closest public library to me is the one at Hamilton High School.
Boulder Creek High School in Anthem is the same way.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,340,051 times
If you are out that far then you should consider Casa Grande. That way you have access to all the Tucson amenities as well (Sabino Canyon etc). Plus of course more infrastructure than a couple of the others mentioned.

BUT, things have picked up a bit here and Im not sure what 75K will buy you right now that is not in pretty sad shape.

The new high school here is ALSO sharing the new library.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,347,410 times
Quote:
"...the far FAR outer suburbs"
Also known as HYPERburbs?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:04 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,013 times
Stay out of Maricopa at all costs. You'll be glad you did.

Please do not move here, it will ruin your life. I lived there, and yes, it ruined that portion of my life.

1) Houses are not any cheaper than they would be in the other "outskirt" suburbs. I don't know much about Surprise, Buckeye or Queen Creek, but if you are dead set on a really cheaply built house research those areas first.

2) Housing is dirt cheap everywhere. If you do your homework you can get a really awesome deal in Gilbert or Chandler.

3) The utilities are awful. In July I had an electric bill of $370. I thought I used a lot of energy, so when I called a friend in Chandler, with SRP, he actually used 20 kilo watt hours more and had a bill of $160. Water will be $60 at a minimum. Everywhere else is like $12.

Mod cut: Unfounded

5) The cheap rentals brought graffiti and petty crime. I don't know if that will translate to violent crime or not.

6) There is one road in and out of town. If there is so much as a traffic stop, traffic will crawl to a near halt.

7) That road is in terrible condition. Change your tires every 10,000 miles or you'll blow out.

8) There is nowhere to eat or hang out. Be prepared to gain 20 lbs from eating fast food, unless you want to cook every night.

Mod cut

10) Go exactly the speed limit at all times and never even slightly roll through a stop sign. If you do MPD will pull you over and harass you.

11) Say goodbye to your friends. They won't visit you out there.

12) Dust. Stink. I've never been in an area that had more dust, nor stunk worse, in my entire life.

The only thing Maricopa is good for is maybe stopping at when you are driving through to Rocky Point.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 03-01-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
If you are out that far then you should consider Casa Grande. That way you have access to all the Tucson amenities as well (Sabino Canyon etc). Plus of course more infrastructure than a couple of the others mentioned.

BUT, things have picked up a bit here and Im not sure what 75K will buy you right now that is not in pretty sad shape.

The new high school here is ALSO sharing the new library.
Thanks about the library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area