Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM

31 posts, read 60,108 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My wife is coming to visit PHX (We were there in February) for sun therapy and scout out houses and a job. We have a hotel and air booked but no car rental yet. I have sticker shock on the taxes these companies are charging to rent from the airport and other fees. I don't remember them being that bad in Feb when we went there.

Is there any inside info someone can provide so I can get the best deal possible for the car rental? Or does anyone have any discount tips, hints, etc.... ? The best I can find on the internet is $43/day (4 days w/ taxes around $272 or so).

Thanks!

The Wicked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM

284 posts, read 703,484 times
Off airport locations are supposed to be a little cheaper - check Trip Advisor for lots of info.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,229,581 times
The taxes on rental cars at Sky Harbor are some of the highest in the nation.

Here's what I do.

Reserve a spot on the supershuttle (get a coupon online).

Let them drive you to an off-site location.

Hertz has a location close to the airport. Its actually a trailer in the back of a Mercedes Benz dealership. (Alma School Road, if I recall correctly).

I was able to save several hundreds of dollars renting from that location, versus the airport location.

I think the megabus was 25 dollars including tip for two of us to ride it.

Remember, you can RETURN your rental car to Sky Harbor, and not pay any more. You just have to RENT the car at an off-airport location.

Shop around, using Phoenix as your search, not PHX airport, so you can see the off airport locations.

I'll be honest, its a pain in the neck, versus just walking to an on site rental location, but to save a few hundred bucks, its worth the hour of your time.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,283,386 times
There is an Enterprise lot a few blocks west of the airport, I think on 7th ave, that you can easily get to on a city bus. I don't remember the bus number but you can catch it from the airport terminal. From terminal four the bus stop is on the 2nd floor. You can return the car at the airport lot, it's supposed to cost $20 more but it's not always added on.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,229,581 times
My advise is to book in advance on the internet, and get a final price in writing. I've never paid any more to drop at the airport.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,857 times
The Hertz location at the Mercedes dealer is on Indian School at 3rd Ave. There is a light rail stop at Central and Indian School. Depending upon your luggage and feelings about transit, you can get there for $1.75 per person. Be aware that since it is there to cater to people getting their cars repaired, the hours are somewhat limited, but if it corresponds to when you want to pick up the car, it can save a fair amount of money.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,147,290 times
Had to rent a car for a day recently.

Enterprise
I-17 & Bell RD.

Pontiac Vibe

1 day rental fee: $30.00
Stadium Surcharge: $2.50
Transaction Privilege: $3.09
Vehicle License Surcharge: $1.50

Grand Total: $37.09

Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM

310 posts, read 1,164,572 times
Ever try Priceline? Try to name your own price, I have gotten cars for as low as 16/per day. you just have to be patient and rebid if yours is not accepted at first. I recently rented a car full size car..I believe I got an Impala and paid 190.00 for 7 days, and that was renting out of an airport location, not Phx but another airport, I think the price I got on that was 19/per day this last time. I have saved hundreds of dollars over the years by using Priceline for car rentals.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:32 PM

710 posts, read 3,400,275 times
I am with the OP on this. I live here and needed an extra car in October. Couldn't believe the rental rates, as the last time I rented a car here was years ago. I checked off airport locations and still couldn't find anything for under $50 a day... enterprise was running a special at the end of the summer, which brought their rates into reasonable territory (like the 37/day post) but now they only advertise "50% off our rates!" and in the fine print, the regular rate for an economy car is $90/day.

Unreal. Good luck to OP. I'd jump on anything in the neighborhood of 40 bucks a day if you can find it.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,119 times
I just rented when I was there the end of October and kept checking on hotwire whose rates changed all the time. I was also told to get a rese off airport as well but could not manage to find a cheaper rate that way than I had reseved at Phoenix airport. I finally went directly to Enterprise web site and I rented a mid size for $24.00 a day plus all the taxes, but the real killer is adding the ldw insurance if you choose to. When I arrived they were "upgrading" us all to vans, which never happens when you want a van . Renting thru Enterprise website direct saved me a minimum of $20.00 a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area