Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmark View Post
You should have complained to the manager, I did yesterday in McDonalds, the girls attitude was crap, so I saw the manager and mentioned to him, why have you got someone on the front end of your business with no people skills, he had not got a clue what I was talking about, he was about 19 years old. When I was leaving I went to the bathroom which was filthy, as I was leaving I went to the counter and mentioned that, he just looked straight thru me!
I realized looking over my post, I should have specified by "one place", I meant "one grocery store".

And I would have said something to a manager if we weren't just on our way out. I do know people have stressful days. I know how much retail and cashiering can take a toll on someone, since that is my area of profession at the moment. But the thing is, I keep it together when I'm with the customers. If need be, I vent back in the breakroom, but I keep my cool up there. She should have done the same. She could have at least politely explained that those prices are for card-holders only. One can't expect someone from out of town to know everything about their store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I realized looking over my post, I should have specified by "one place", I meant "one grocery store".

And I would have said something to a manager if we weren't just on our way out. I do know people have stressful days. I know how much retail and cashiering can take a toll on someone, since that is my area of profession at the moment. But the thing is, I keep it together when I'm with the customers. If need be, I vent back in the breakroom, but I keep my cool up there. She should have done the same. She could have at least politely explained that those prices are for card-holders only. One can't expect someone from out of town to know everything about their store.
I understand your concern because I was raised by the golden rule that the customer is always right ... at least to a point. To a business such a local grocery store, restaurant, etc., their customers are the entire cake, not just the icing on the cake.

Whenever I experience lousy service from a smaller business, I will often speak to the manager and say something like: "I am willing to be a loyal customer of yours, but if you don't improve your service, not only will I never do business here again, I will spread the word to others. In this economy, you cannot afford to lose any part of your customer base ... so you either improve the service quality, or risk losing your ass!" I have been known to be blunt like that because I expect top notch service, espeically when I'm paying a higher price at what I believe is a better establishement.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I understand your concern because I was raised by the golden rule that the customer is always right ... at least to a point. To a business such a local grocery store, restaurant, etc., their customers are the entire cake, not just the icing on the cake.

Whenever I experience lousy service from a smaller business, I will often speak to the manager and say something like: "I am willing to be a loyal customer of yours, but if you don't improve your service, not only will I never do business here again, I will spread the word to others. In this economy, you cannot afford to lose any part of your customer base ... so you either improve the service quality, or risk losing your ass!" I have been known to be blunt like that because I expect top notch service, espeically when I'm paying a higher price at what I believe is a better establishement.
Exactly. When a customer is a reasonable person making reasonable requests (such as better service) they are in the right. The customer is what keeps the business afloat. I am a very kind person when dealing with people in retail stores (as well as restaurants and any other establishment I enter) and I expect the same back from the people working there. Here in Duluth, I've been to Home Depot and Walgreens (using those two as an example, as I've always had extraordinary service at both places), and honestly the people there couldn't have been nicer. I asked a guy for some help at Walgreens, and after he was done helping me he asked if there was anything else I was looking for. Also, at Home Depot, the guy helping me thanked me for coming in - for a 98 cent set of nuts + bolts. I feel that is definitely going above and beyond what's called for and I appreciate that. As a customer, it makes me feel good knowing some people aren't just drones to the system and try to make their customer's experience a pleasant one, which in turn makes their day a better one!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Exactly. When a customer is a reasonable person making reasonable requests (such as better service) they are in the right. The customer is what keeps the business afloat. I am a very kind person when dealing with people in retail stores (as well as restaurants and any other establishment I enter) and I expect the same back from the people working there. Here in Duluth, I've been to Home Depot and Walgreens (using those two as an example, as I've always had extraordinary service at both places), and honestly the people there couldn't have been nicer. I asked a guy for some help at Walgreens, and after he was done helping me he asked if there was anything else I was looking for. Also, at Home Depot, the guy helping me thanked me for coming in - for a 98 cent set of nuts + bolts. I feel that is definitely going above and beyond what's called for and I appreciate that. As a customer, it makes me feel good knowing some people aren't just drones to the system and try to make their customer's experience a pleasant one, which in turn makes their day a better one!
That's a good atttitude to have! There are actually some who claim that since people in the service industry generally make less money than in other professions, nobody should expect them to perform quality work. I say that is b.s.! While I believe that you get what you pay for, the fact of the matter is that these service workers have a job to do, and they are getting a wage for it. In dealing with the public, it is expected that they remain polite to the customers, and have some knowledge of the business.

In some cases, politeness is regional. I think Minnesotans (and many Midwesterners in general) are naturally more friendly and down to earth. You'll likely find SOME of that hospitality in the Phoenix metro area because of so many Midwestern transplants ... but it just isn't quite as friendly here overall. Still, it's a lot better than a city like New Yoawk!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's a good atttitude to have! There are actually some who claim that since people in the service industry generally make less money than in other professions, nobody should expect them to perform quality work. I say that is b.s.! While I believe that you get what you pay for, the fact of the matter is that these service workers have a job to do, and they are getting a wage for it. In dealing with the public, it is expected that they remain polite to the customers, and have some knowledge of the business.

In some cases, politeness is regional. I think Minnesotans (and many Midwesterners in general) are naturally more friendly and down to earth. You'll likely find SOME of that hospitality in the Phoenix metro area because of so many Midwestern transplants ... but it just isn't quite as friendly here overall. Still, it's a lot better than a city like New Yoawk!
Absolutely. I like the way my boss put it: "We're paying you an hourly wage to do the job as outlined when you started the job." I agree with that sentiment. No one's holding a gun to my head keeping me there. I've been there for a couple years now and I really do like my job and the people I work with. Though I'll be leaving there in a few months, it'll be an experience that I'll carry through with me.

As far as politeness, it's hit or miss here in Minnesota. Up here in Duluth it seems like some people are cold (pun intended ). There's not much diversity up here. Though we're white (which has to make up at least 97% of the population up here), my parents are foreign, and it seems like people treat them a little differently. In Phoenix it seems like people are used to people from all around. (From around the US, and outside the US) So they felt a little more at ease when dealing with people.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I like the way my boss put it: "We're paying you an hourly wage to do the job as outlined when you started the job." I agree with that sentiment. No one's holding a gun to my head keeping me there. I've been there for a couple years now and I really do like my job and the people I work with. Though I'll be leaving there in a few months, it'll be an experience that I'll carry through with me.

As far as politeness, it's hit or miss here in Minnesota. Up here in Duluth it seems like some people are cold (pun intended ). There's not much diversity up here. Though we're white (which has to make up at least 97% of the population up here), my parents are foreign, and it seems like people treat them a little differently. In Phoenix it seems like people are used to people from all around. (From around the US, and outside the US) So they felt a little more at ease when dealing with people.
I think its a little funny to expect top notch service from people who work at McDonalds, etc. I don't want to be treated rudely of course, but if they have dead eyes and don't put their heart and soul into serving my big mac & fries, I am able to get over it without calling a manager.

I bet any city you go to would have the least motivated people working in fast food and retail places. There are so many low paying jobs here, firing them is not a threat. It won't be hard for them to find a similar low paying job. No matter how smart the manager is though, they still only have access to those who are willing to accept minimum wage... You usually fire one set of problems and trade off for a new set of problems.

I do hear people making remarks that Phoenix is full of friendly people based on friendly clerks, etc. which I think is a little weird too. For instance in a restaurant like Chili's when you leave there is that person who is paid to actually say goodbye and hold the door open and tell you to "have a good night". I could not care less about this paid gesture and I don't consider the "people" of Phoenix nice because of it.

The truth is that we are a HUGE and impersonal city. In Phoenix, everyone is isolated to their block walled backyards. The most you will see your neighbors is as they whiz by into their garages equipped with automatic openers. I have grown used to this and have no real desire to be best friends with my neighbors... and I imagine they feel the same.

This is not considered "friendly" though. No matter what you experience at Chilis, Olive Garden or Smart & Final/McDonalds for that matter. I think its true that many of the friendliest people here are midwest transplants. Eventually though, many of them go back home because they end up missing the seasons and/or their friendlier neighbors.

Last edited by cmist; 01-02-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
instead of McDonald's, try In N Out for a burger....not only will you get a MUCH better quality sandwich, you'll get a genuine friendly smile and a much happier atmosphere overall....among employees and customers!

I think it's the fact that they are privately owned and don't have stockholders to worry about....makes a colossal difference in company policy and morale

Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I think its a little funny to expect top notch service from people who work at McDonalds, etc. I don't want to be treated rudely of course, but if they have dead eyes and don't put their heart and soul into serving my big mac & fries, I am able to get over it without calling a manager.
Well, I don't think people are expecting top notch service from a place like McDonalds. But when people have a really crappy attitude, it doesn't help either.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 AM

223 posts, read 596,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
instead of McDonald's, try In N Out for a burger....not only will you get a MUCH better quality sandwich, you'll get a genuine friendly smile and a much happier atmosphere overall....among employees and customers!

I think it's the fact that they are privately owned and don't have stockholders to worry about....makes a colossal difference in company policy and morale
My nephew worked at In N Out for a while as a student; they pay VERY well by comparison to (eg) McD's. I believe that's why you get a more genuinely friendly reception. The same goes for Costco - they pay significantly over minimum wage, and it shows in the attitude of the people who work there. Compare the attitude in Costco to the attitude in Walmart ... it's quite noticeable. I'm personally annoyed/upset to go into a Walmart and be greeted by some elderly guy saying 'welcome' ... first of all, give the guy a chair, he's too old to be standing around! and secondly, put him in the aisles where he could actually answer questions ... there's never anyone around for that!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:58 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

Its no different with mcdonnalds. They are all privately owned franchises, just like most fast food places. The employee practices is something to be questioned on some of them. From what i hear from some employees, you don't know if you have a job tomorrow. Would you feel happy knowing you could be fired each day? I am not referring to lack of customers, poor service, management complaints, or not doing their job either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area