Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 AM

73 posts, read 147,393 times

Advertisements

I am currently unemployed and I live in Chicago. I moved here from LA about 2.5 years ago, and I don't like living here. I don't like the weather or the culture of the midwest. With my current employment situation, LA is too expensive to move to. Phoenix on the other hand, has the weather and the cost of living that would be more reasonable for my situation.

I have personal savings that could last me in Phoenix for about 6 months. I am a 45 yo, single, gay, white male. I have about 17 years of Customer Service and Employee Management experience.

The problem is that I keep reading how horrible the job market is in Phoenix, and I 'm getting cold feet. Not that Chicago is the land of opportunity at the moment either, and besides, the idea of staying here doesn't appeal to me at all.

I read all about "getting the job first before moving" and if I was working, I would totally agree. But it's hard to find work in Phoenix if you are 1800 miles away. I keep waiting until I hear some good news, but that doesn't seem to materialize.

So as you can see, I have some decisions to make, and I would apreciate some input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
suggest an online search. . . careerbuilder is one that a great many employers use. Lots of jobs available in medical services, other than that, it's pretty bleak here, but you could get lucky.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
Google is opening a new Customer Service center in Tempe in a few weeks. They are hiring. Circle Tec is always hiring for Call Center sales positions about $12 hour (might be a good temp while looking for something better).

American Express in N. Phoenix is always advertising, check them out.

I am sure there are a few others as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
get going on the online job/career searching....I haven't done this myself, but I know it's the way to start these days...yes, Phoenix is not in a good situation right now for jobs....does it have to be here?...I think there are other warm towns that aren't hit as hard....

if you DO want to come out and look around in person for a job/apartment, think about one of these long-term "hotels" like Extended Stay, Marriott Residence Inn, MainStay (and many others) for a week or two....

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Google is opening a new Customer Service center in Tempe in a few weeks. They are hiring. Circle Tec is always hiring for Call Center sales positions about $12 hour (might be a good temp while looking for something better).

American Express in N. Phoenix is always advertising, check them out.

I am sure there are a few others as well.
Thanks for the replies.

I don't need a large salary to live. I am single and relatively debt free (a small car payment and a couple of credit cards). Are jobs in the $12-$15/h range just as hard to find?

Please don't get me wrong, I was making a pretty good salary before, and I will be looking for a salaried position, but the above is a worst case senario until something more suitable comes along.

So when people are talking about no jobs, do they mean "well paying jobs" or no jobs at all ??

does it have to be here?...

I would like anywhere in the Phoenx/Los Angeles/San Diego triangle.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
I'm curious to what the culture of the midwest is in your opinion. Mind eloborating?

I ask because i meet A LOT of midwest transplants here. Far more than Californians, East Coasters or natives...

Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
I'm curious to what the culture of the midwest is in your opinion. Mind eloborating?

I ask because i meet A LOT of midwest transplants here. Far more than Californians, East Coasters or natives...
I simply like a more laid back attitude. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:23 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
get going on the online job/career searching....I haven't done this myself, but I know it's the way to start these days...yes, Phoenix is not in a good situation right now for jobs....does it have to be here?...I think there are other warm towns that aren't hit as hard....
It's VERY difficult when you are out of state. I moved in here during the boom, and I'm in residential housing. Even when the job sites had pages of companies seeking people in my field i only landed one telephone interview.

Knowing the available opportunities I moved anyway. I got set up with a "head hunter" before leaving Pa. I got into town on a Sunday, the agent had Monday full of interviews. By 9 am I had a company asking me "what's it going to take for you to clear you schedule today?". After that I continued to have calls with higher and higher offers until the market changed. One place called me for over a year, their highest offer was 45% higher than my current place, but i stayed here for it's stability. I doubt i would still have a job at the other place.

I could only imagine that companies right now have an abundance of local resumes to sort through instead of taking the time and effort to work a deal out with someone across the country dreaming of moving to Phoenix.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:50 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I moved without a job and it took me about 4 weeks to find permanent work (in health care). If you have some savings, you will probably be okay. There are tons of temp agencies that assist with everything from auto mechanics, to executive leadership to administrative support positions. I temped for a couple weeks prior to gaining permanent employment with a company I'm still with. As far as being gay, I think you'll have some success in finding your comfort zone around the downtown Phoenix area. This area has several gay bars (which I have visited as a straight female and had the time of my life), small theater groups, clubs, and small businesses owned by gay persons or couples. The historic neighborhoods around downtown seem to have a large gay population and I say that with the uptmost admiration. These neighborhoods show pride of community and are absolutely stunning. It is a very open and welcoming community in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Thank you for the replies,

I'm glad that most of the responses were not the sky was falling. Most seem very positive which makes me feel a little better about my decision. I will be looking at some of the suggestions.

Yes I do have savings. I can last about 6 months, even more if need be and I remain frugal. I wouldn't do such a move if I didn't. I'm not rich by any means, but a resonable Studio or 1 bedroom will do just fine for now.

As for the gay thing. I like to go out and hang out in gay neighberhood, but I'm not big on living in one. My priority is safety, cleanliness, decent neigbhors and conviniences. As long as I have some access to a social life, my day to day life is just like any other average joe. Average on weekdays and hip on weekends? sounds like a plan to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area