Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM

63 posts, read 151,761 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving into Arizona and building a green home in the high desert. My situation,currently collecting a 70% disability check from the VA(was lit up by an IED in my second tour). My plan was originally becoming a lifer in the Army but now that's out. So i figure with my separation pay, ability to operate in extreme heat Arizona is perfect for a guy like me plus real-estate is dirt cheap.

Therefore i'm working on the plan months ahead November will be my entrance into Phoenix. Picking Phoenix because I need a 4wd (buying used) and browsing craigslist Phoenix is my best choice for what I want. Now initially my plan was dispersed camping and a rent-a-car because an Arizona license and reg fees. However after looking at the rmv site not sure how licensing works out there. Do i NEED a permanent address for instance do they issue a temp and mail you out the plastic? Also accordingly the smog inspection is different for Tuscon vs Phoenix?

Should i just rent a place cheap for a month or so? I could save money by not paying rent (dispersed camping) however the license is confusing me. Part of the reason i'm leaving the New England area is all these rules and regs, since I left the service dealing with this nonsense shouldn't really be a part of my life in the civilian world. I was hoping it would be different out west.

I have loads of questions so i'll just start there, also here's a link about cheap rent found on the forum can you guys elaborate, update, and give me EXACT co-ordinates.

Can someone tell me some cheap apartments in Phoenix?

Thanks,

Hopefully I can make some Arizona friends on this forum so I don't walk into the sh*** again. After reading AZntv's stuff on this forum he makes it sound like dropping into a combat zone, which I don't have an issue with, knowing what to expect ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straighttalk99 View Post
I saw 125 acres in Navajo County for 35,000. Mod cut. Land for sale, acreages for sale, lots for sale at Mod cut. Phoenix is a Valley; the low elevation makes it an oven. Will you need to be near a VA Hospital?
No i'm all set with the VA for now just rudimentary stuff every month ....and I know Phoenix is an oven! Plan on building in the Northern high desert region (not sure where yet) obviously I need to be in Arizona with a gps, so I can really look at properties. This is the reason for the 4wd. Studying the yearly weather reports November is fine. Since I plan on buying a pre-1988 Ford Bronco (old school carb) access into the remote regions shouldn't be an issue i'll be able to fix the vehicle in case it goes south on me.

Right now is not a good time with personal obligations and buying the land outright is going to require a heckuva sacrifice versus financing. So i'll just suffer for a few months which is not an issue at all for me after what i've been through the last few years! Phoenix even in the heat should be a paradise in comparison with Iraq.

A totally green lifestyle is my initial goal and once this is achieved i'll be attending college for wastewater management technology. Unlike many I have been given a unique opportunity with this VA disability handout and plan on maximizing it to the fullest.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-12-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straighttalk99 View Post
I saw 125 acres in Navajo County for 35,000. Mod cut Land for sale, acreages for sale, lots for sale at Mod Cut. Phoenix is a Valley; the low elevation makes it an oven. Will you need to be near a VA Hospital?
Thanks brother I already know about that site and have been working with some reputable land sellers who STRONGLY suggest moving into the area first and performing 'due diligence' title search, easements, title insurance, and a whole bunch of other things regarding my first land purchase. Frankly the idea of owning my own home at my age will give me a huge step-up on my peers. Not having a worry with monthly rent and building equity is simply awesome. This is the reason for planning way ahead of time.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-12-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
You can buy a car anywhere. You do not need an AZ address to buy a car. You probably will need an AZ address to register it here, but you can register it in your old state (use a parent, brother, friend address temporarily).

As for registration fees, you commented on you are thinking of an older car. Registration fees here are based on value of vehicle. An older vehicle like a 1988 should only be about $50. Emission could be a problem, but if you live outside Maricopa County (like let's say Prescott Valley or Camp Verde) it will not be a problem.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
You can buy a car anywhere. You do not need an AZ address to buy a car. You probably will need an AZ address to register it here, but you can register it in your old state (use a parent, brother, friend address temporarily).

As for registration fees, you commented on you are thinking of an older car. Registration fees here are based on value of vehicle. An older vehicle like a 1988 should only be about $50. Emission could be a problem, but if you live outside Maricopa County (like let's say Prescott Valley or Camp Verde) it will not be a problem.
Okay here's the thing where i live now M(T)axachusetts it's a huge penalty registering a car from out of State. This is just one of the reasons I want out of here (fees and fines) plus the cold weather etc etc. My question is this can I pull an Arizona reg/license without a permanent address there? I noticed you can have a waiver for say Tuscon versus Phoenix(emissions) and since I only plan on staying in Phoenix for a short while is this possible? Living in the city I imagine parking is at a premium and the police are not going to look kindly on me working on my truck Correct? where I live you can't do anything so perhaps things are different in AZ=I REALLY HOPE SO!!!.... So you think i'm going to have issues with an older vehicle which doesn't have catalytic converter???? I'm specifically trying to get away from those. They really suck not only are they bad for mileage but are expensive as hell and screw up back pressure values on the the engine.....This may be a moot point depending on the vehicle and previous owner. Also what am I looking at with auto insurance 25 years old with a clean record and just basic coverage?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQp View Post
Okay here's the thing where i live now M(T)axachusetts it's a huge penalty registering a car from out of State. This is just one of the reasons I want out of here (fees and fines) plus the cold weather etc etc. My question is this can I pull an Arizona reg/license without a permanent address there? I noticed you can have a waiver for say Tuscon versus Phoenix(emissions) and since I only plan on staying in Phoenix for a short while is this possible? Living in the city I imagine parking is at a premium and the police are not going to look kindly on me working on my truck Correct? where I live you can't do anything so perhaps things are different in AZ=I REALLY HOPE SO!!!.... So you think i'm going to have issues with an older vehicle which doesn't have catalytic converter???? I'm specifically trying to get away from those. They really suck not only are they bad for mileage but are expensive as hell and screw up back pressure values on the the engine.....This may be a moot point depending on the vehicle and previous owner. Also what am I looking at with auto insurance 25 years old with a clean record and just basic coverage?
I have an '86 Honda Accord that still runs like a champ, and even still looks good! It's got well over 292,000 miles on it. I only have liability coverage with State Farm and it runs me about $180 every six months. Registration is REALLY cheap but don't recall off hand what it was. Maybe $25 year? I live in Yavapai county so no emissions tests but, according to my mechanic, it would pass the test if needed.

What you are looking for, landwise, etc....if I'm reading correctly and you want Northern high desert...sounds like you'd be looking along what I call the "I-40 corridor". Williams, Ashfork, Seligman or areas around Kingman. I'm pretty sure you could find what you want anywhere along that route. Or possibly closer to Prescott around Paulden or Chino Valley. Then there's also the area around Kirkland, Skull Valley and Peeple's Valley. Plenty of options, for sure. Depending on how close you want to be to "civilization".

Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have an '86 Honda Accord that still runs like a champ, and even still looks good! It's got well over 292,000 miles on it. I only have liability coverage with State Farm and it runs me about $180 every six months. Registration is REALLY cheap but don't recall off hand what it was. Maybe $25 year? I live in Yavapai county so no emissions tests but, according to my mechanic, it would pass the test if needed.

What you are looking for, landwise, etc....if I'm reading correctly and you want Northern high desert...sounds like you'd be looking along what I call the "I-40 corridor". Williams, Ashfork, Seligman or areas around Kingman. I'm pretty sure you could find what you want anywhere along that route. Or possibly closer to Prescott around Paulden or Chino Valley. Then there's also the area around Kirkland, Skull Valley and Peeple's Valley. Plenty of options, for sure. Depending on how close you want to be to "civilization".
I'll probably have emission issues with the vehicle since I can't figure how they will issue me a registration without a permanent address. The people down at the RMV are not just going to issue me a reg that says "parts unknown" and I seriously doubt any insurance company in their right mind will write me a policy without a temp address. Once I get that i'll have no problem breaking a lease. Hopefully I can just rent a room for the short term. From the way that Azguy on this forum sounds i'll probably have too install a remote kill switch on the vehicle. Nothing I can do about the rims since all you need is a coal chisel for bangin off a lock. What a relief! Basically i'm looking for a minimum of 5 acres hopefully 10-20 it's all going to depend on the area and my neighbors. This is another key reason WHY I want out of here YESTERDAY! If i didn't have family commitments my mom is really sick I would already be in AZ. The thing is I DONT WANT is any neighbors! have NO problems living out in the boonies and depending solely on myself. I have a wealth of desert survival skills not just training either.... I'm thinking Prescott but once there everything could change so I need a 4wd, also I plan on buying a dirt bike so if the truck (bronco) fails. I'll have the bike just in case. One thing I learned in the Army is plan on everything to fail and always expect the worse case scenario! which reminds me what are the laws governing a loaded firearm in my vehicle and the right to carry? A quick glance over at craigslist at vehicleS ! 1981 Ford Bronco 4x4 (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/1836422737.html - broken link) sweet!!! THE ONLY PROBLEM is the boys over at the Bronco forum constantly whine about the manual lock out hubs apparently they're a B))(* replacing! Still for that sort of $$$ even if the tranny is junk 2 weeks later it's a weekend repair job! Sounds like AZ is nirvana heaven for these old vehicles!

Last edited by JohnQp; 07-12-2010 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
thanks for your service in Iraq....

can't help too much with the vehicle thing....

lots of people out here are "leave me alone", also.....there are many areas you may like that are remote, wide open, with lots for sale....many, many "wildcat" developments (subdivided former ranches that aren't really to "code")....lots of public land out here, also, where you can explore freely.....you can usually camp at Forest Service campgrounds for 14 days for a fee, then you need to move on...or the dispersed thing for free (look for the telltale firerings!!)......November is very nice, but nights will be cold above 4-5000 feet.....

take care of your mother!!!!....

I'd look at places with an elevation around 5000 feet, so winters are manageable and summers aren't too hot....there are lots of remote developments out from Kingman, Prescott, Flagstaff, Show Low, Winslow, and more, that are off-the-grid and all that.....

lots of details....stay in touch

Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
thanks for your service in Iraq....

can't help too much with the vehicle thing....

lots of people out here are "leave me alone", also.....there are many areas you may like that are remote, wide open, with lots for sale....many, many "wildcat" developments (subdivided former ranches that aren't really to "code&quot....lots of public land out here, also, where you can explore freely.....you can usually camp at Forest Service campgrounds for 14 days, then you need to move on.....November is very nice, but nights will be cold above 4-5000 feet.....

take care of your mother!!!!....

I'd look at places with an elevation around 5000 feet, so winters are manageable and summers aren't too hot....there are lots of remote developments out from Kingman, Prescott, Flagstaff, Show Low, Winslow, and more, that are off-the-grid and all that.....

lots of details....stay in touch
Thanks brother it was an honor serving Yeah i'll stick around until she's out of the woods! These wildcat development interest me alot, one thing that concerns me is wastewater, digging a french drain will totally screw up any future well water drilling so I plan on either collecting everything and dumping in a legit facility. This is going to be my future career and I take it very seriously it's important leading by example. If I find neighbors playing this illegal game near me we could have an issue. What happens miles away can certainly affect the water table when sinking a well. The State(AZ) is very clear about septic even in the outlying areas. You should at least have a 1000 gallon collection tank for the sewage and have it pumped...The greywater would I SUPPOSE be fine provided the use of bio-degradable soap is being used for everything!! We went through this garbage in Iraq and even water purification tabs will not sterilize some of the H20 over there.........and it's all because of human waste and poor treatment.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
First JohnQp, thank you for your service.

I don't have any special advice or knowledge to offer you, but I had to tell you I totally admire your get-up-and-go and good old-fashioned American gumption. You remind me very much of my Dad and a whole lot of other GIs who travelled west after WWII to start over. Most of them with, if they were lucky, $20.00 in their pocket. No promise of a job or a house. Just a yearning to be on their own and build a new life.

My dad was one of the men who drove west on Route 66 until they hit the ocean. I can never thank him enough for his sacrifices.

Bless you! I wish you nothing but good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area