Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if anyone has installed an attic fan and actually seen any savings on their electric bill as a result. I popped my head into my attic the other day and was amazed at how hot it already was up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,619 times
I have an attic fan in the house I purchased. The inspector recommended I remove it, because (according to him) it uses more electricity to run than whatever it may save in A/C costs. I have no idea if that's true or not. I'm keeping it, though, because, to some extent, it helps keep the air circulating in the garage.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
always wondered why they aren't more popular out here...on those warm summer evenings when it's relatively cool outside, but still warm inside, I'd love to have one...it'd instantly cool off the inside if we had one....

Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,660 times
There are solar attic fans out there. From just a very quick glance at prices, I've found $200 to $600.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'm just curious if anyone has installed an attic fan and actually seen any savings on their electric bill as a result. I popped my head into my attic the other day and was amazed at how hot it already was up there.
I have a Solar Powered Roof Fan in my garage and it not only help keep the garage cool but it also removes old vehicle smells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
always wondered why they aren't more popular out here...on those warm summer evenings when it's relatively cool outside, but still warm inside, I'd love to have one...it'd instantly cool off the inside if we had one....
Many homes have Swamp Coolers either alone or Dual Cooling, azdr. Without using the water option they basically function the same as an Attic Fan.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
Well I just ordered one. $50 shipped. Its not solar, standard wired with a thermostat. I plan on hooking it up to a switch so I can easily turn it off if I'm gone for an extended period of time. I've read both how great they work and save money as well how much of a waste there are. There's only one way to find out for sure!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM

36 posts, read 78,191 times
I've read on the following website that attic fans may do more harm than good. They state that most fans are too powerfull and thus will actually pull cold air from inside the house into the attic through leaks. They stated that a properly vented attic will naturally pull in cooler air through the eave vents and convect up through the gable vents ( I believe I got that right). You may want to look into radient barriers. But I'm not so sure about those either.

Residential HVAC - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion

The consesus seems to be: replace old windows, seal up leaks, add insulation, and check for duct leaks.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 133,812 times
Quote:
Well I just ordered one. $50 shipped. Its not solar, standard wired with a thermostat. I plan on hooking it up to a switch so I can easily turn it off if I'm gone for an extended period of time. I've read both how great they work and save money as well how much of a waste there are. There's only one way to find out for sure!
Well, if you find out it was a waste then at least it was only a $50 waste=).

Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,396 times
Quote:

Average on attic fans is anywhere from 10-15%. Whether solar or electric, they do make a huge improvement in energy consumption, reduced reliance on A/C and perhaps most importantly, air circulation in the attic, meaning less dirt, mold, mildew.....etc.

Most of the time when you hear people talking down attic fans, they tend to have a vested financial interest. Why bother installing attic fans when you can simply replace your A/C units regularly?

I've seen people get as high as 20% from a single solar attic fan for example, it just depends on your home. If you've got more than 2600 square feet, you'll most likely need 2 fans.

Last edited by Juram; 03-08-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,104 times
I put the wind turbines in a former property. They significantly lowered the attic temp.. The jet noise did increase, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area