Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
I saw some screaming good deals in Sun City. Less than 60K for a house built in 1961 on a large lot, close to golf. Taxes 567 per year? I think some people will jump on that.
I'm really sick of cheap real estate, and the hopes that will bring in the growth. Cheaper housing has a way of attracting the cheaper people, and the Phoenix metro area has been too dependent on "discount housing" for too long. It might have been fine & dandy many years ago when it was a smaller area ... but the nation's fifth largest city needs to grow up and quit relying on what worked in the past.

As others have stated, the jobs need to come first ... and not just service jobs. We need to be finding ways to attract larger multinational firms that pay competitive wages. Get the higher paying jobs in here first, then the better calliber of people will be attracted to the area. Then, real estate won't be so dirt cheap anymore. As a homeowner, I'm fed up with my property values declining over the past year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I wonder what standards Today used to make that assertion.

The real estate market here is absolutely terrible. It will take a LONG, LONG time for full recovery.
It's terrible if you bought during the crazy speculation. Now it is great if you're a first time buyer. I bought last September for a lot less than my neighbors paid. Those poor people will never see the prices they paid any time soon.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'

As others have stated, the jobs need to come first ... and not just service jobs. We need to be finding ways to attract larger multinational firms that pay competitive wages. Get the higher paying jobs in here first, then the better calliber of people will be attracted to the area. Then, real estate won't be so dirt cheap anymore. As a homeowner, I'm fed up with my property values declining over the past year or two.
Until this narrow minded Arizona legislature starts valuing education good luck with us ever being a center for business and innovation. Too many retirees and Tea Baggers who don't care about providing an education for our children.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Cheaper housing has a way of attracting the cheaper people, and the Phoenix metro area has been too dependent on "discount housing" for too long.

Get the higher paying jobs in here first, then the better calliber of people will be attracted to the area.

Gee, I didn't know I was in the category of "cheaper people" and I certainly didn't realize the I was considered "lower caliber people"....
I lost my wife a few years ago in a car accident and from a financial standpoint, it wiped me out.
I've raised my daughter on my own, is a junior and she has a 4.0 gph, I have worked very hard at lower paying jobs to pay off my home which I am currently trying to sell here in Oregon. I'll pay off all my debts and plan on buying one of those cheaper homes you refer to.
I learn something every day. Today I learned that I was looked down upon by you upper class folks simply because of my financial status. I always thought that I was a pretty good guy. I don't steal, I am not abusive, I pay my bills and I always treated people, ALL PEOPLE, with the respect I always thought they deserved.
Personally, I tend to trust people until they prove they aren't trustworthy.
So to end this rant, I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my "status" in this world based upon my net worth.

It's this same logic that makes people buy fancy cars, boats, quads, expensive homes. Spending way more than they could afford and it's because they want to look like they are wealthier than they really are. To impress others for no other reason than to look richer than they really are.
It's sad.

Last edited by maverick974; 03-17-2010 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
maverick974,

I was going to defend them and say they mean this. But I honestly have no idea what view point they are trying to prove. I only know that making every metro area expensive like the rest of them out there in the world isn't fair to the general populous. Not sure I enjoy reserving the best for only the "rich."

Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Gee, I didn't know I was in the category of "cheaper people" and I certainly didn't realize the I was considered "lower caliber people"....
I lost my wife a few years ago in a car accident and from a financial standpoint, it wiped me out.
I've raised my daughter on my own, is a junior and she has a 4.0 gph, I have worked very hard at lower paying jobs to pay off my home which I am currently trying to sell here in Oregon. I'll pay off all my debts and plan on buying one of those cheaper homes you refer to.
I learn something every day. Today I learned that I was looked down upon by you upper class folks simply because of my financial status. I always thought that I was a pretty good guy. I don't steal, I am not abusive, I pay my bills and I always treated people, ALL PEOPLE, with the respect I always thought they deserved.
So to end this rant, I guess I'll have to re-evaluate my "status" in this world based upon my net worth.

It's this same logic that makes people buy fancy cars, boats, quads, expensive homes. Spending way more than they could afford and it's because they want to look like they are wealthier than they really are. To impress others for no other reason than to look richer than they really are.
It's sad.
AMEN Maverick 974......Didnt know i was a second class citizen either.....The world is in this mess because of people overspending, knowing they cant afford things....just to try to keep up with the Smiths and Jones.....LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS........Can't preach it enough....

Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post

It's sad.
On my income I must be classified as a "third class" citizen.
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/3D%20Smiles%20%28216%29.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Until this narrow minded Arizona legislature starts valuing education good luck with us ever being a center for business and innovation. Too many retirees and Tea Baggers who don't care about providing an education for our children.
Every word of this is true, I couldn't have written it better myself.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,631 times
and what are they supposed to pay for it with? Three Dollar Bills with a picture of Nappy on them?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
maverick974,

I was going to defend them and say they mean this. But I honestly have no idea what view point they are trying to prove. I only know that making every metro area expensive like the rest of them out there in the world isn't fair to the general populous. Not sure I enjoy reserving the best for only the "rich."
I agree with you, it doesn't benefit the average person to have all homes, apartments, and condominiums in the metropolitan area priced like Scottsdale or Paradise Valley.

But too much emphasis on new home construction and developers placed the valley in an unforutunate situation. An overload of people still move here to retire, get a suntan, shop in upscale stores, and grab low-cost foreclosed homes.

Those things do not make a metropolitan area the envy of the nation. More emphasis needs to be placed on education, public service, and better jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area