Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Studies (in other cities) show the avg. distance that most people will walk to a rail or bus station is 1/4 mile. Others say up to a half mile, if the walk is pleasant. By pleasant, that means safe/secure/protection from elements, etc. In PHX, the sun would be a factor for several months.

That doesn't seem far for people who like to walk for exercise, etc. (I walk 2-3 miles in the morning just to wake up), but it's different if you're dressed for work, carrying stuff, or simply aren't much of a walker - which is most of the population.
What you stated is quite plausible. I live near the Mormom Temple here in Mesa and the future Light Rail station at Mesa Dr is about 1 mile from where I live. In the summer; such a walk would suck and I hoof it 2-3 miles a day (except in the rain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,095 times
For a different perspective, the avg. person walks about 3 miles per hour at a good pace. So a mile requires 20 minutes of walking with intent.

A person walking 20 minutes to a stop, then 30 minutes to ride a train, has a commute of 50 minutes.

- This doesn't include the wait time for the train, which is random, but could be 10-20 minutes when averaged out over multiple uses.

- Or factor their walk from the stop. If a mile, add another 20 min.

The additional X Factor is the train segment. I used 30 minutes as a random travel time, but it'll differ for each person and is likely more. For example, I recently boarded the rail at 38th St/Washington/Gateway and it took about 50 minutes of travel time to get to Camelback/Central. If that was my regular commute, it would be

50 minutes of train time
+ time to get to the station from home
+ wait time for train
+ time to get to my destination from the stop

(repeat for return trip)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area