Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 AM

278 posts, read 622,887 times

Advertisements

I've posted on this very great forum before and was so happy with the responses. So, I'll try my hand at finding this out. I am a very, very good teacher who is not certified. I have been working in a charter school with children of african immigrants. (excuse the lack of proper punctutation and capitalization) My husband and I are seriously thinking of moving to the phoenix area and love certain areas. However, if these areas are unrealistic for private tutoring, we won't move there. I know there are agencies out there for tutoring, but I would be 'self employed'. I am extremely good at what I do and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a market for me? I am especially good teaching language..(reading, writing, English, communication etc.) Again, as always, all responses will be greatly appreciated. thanks so much..annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I don't know how much of a market there is as a full time gig. My wife did it as a part time thing to supplement her actual teaching. She couldn't tutor anyone she knew from school so she just put an ad in the local paper. She took on a handful of students and was pretty modest in her pricing compared to some of the formal places (I can't remember if it was $15/hr or $25/hr as this was a couple years back...........).

Her most enjoyable students were kids who were in the states from Korea as their parents were working at Palo Verde.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I find it interesting that you tell us you are a very good teacher, especially good at teaching English, reading, writing and communication, and then ask us to excuse your lack of proper punctuation and capitalization. Confusing, especially since I saw only one capitalization error.

I think it would be difficult to make a full time job out of doing this yourself from home in many places, not just Phoenix. My mother, who was an excellent certified teacher, took on a few private clients, especially after she retired, including the only adult she ever taught. She changed his life by teaching him to read and write, so that he could advance with a large local company from a job driving a delivery truck to a sales job that paid much better and would allow him to advance further. So, it can be very rewarding on an emotional level, but not on a financial one.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:18 AM

278 posts, read 622,887 times
Thanks to both of you. And yes observer, very good observation. I get lazy online and do all sorts of things that don't go by the grammatical rules.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,885 times
You will almost certainly need a DPS Fingerprint Card (65 usd), and it takes about 8 weeks. Summers are dead..............

Old 04-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
You will almost certainly need a DPS Fingerprint Card (65 usd), and it takes about 8 weeks. Summers are dead..............
I am aware of no legal requirement for a free lance tutor operating out of his or her home to have a fingerprint card.

Summers may be slower for this work in most respects, but for those who need some "catchup" work before the next school year, or some extra help, or teaching adults, for sure, there could still be some business.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM

You will need one to tutor at the schools, which is where a lot of the work is. Part of NCLB is to provide tutors to the students. I've seen them advertise on CL. Only certified teachers and those with DPS card need apply.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:53 PM

That's different from what the OP was asking about, but it's certainly another viable option. for using those skills.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Look at the school lunch subsidies. Even in some decent areas; 85%+ are on subsidized lunch. I think private tutoring would only work in the top 5-10% of the Valley. You can do group tutoring after school and get something like 15 per hour + five bucks per student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area