Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 AM

13 posts, read 21,701 times

Advertisements

Different people told me that Arizona is VERY humid. I cam from Las Vegas and I know the desert doesn't get humid, it is a dry heat. I am moving to Chandler and I was just making sure that it still had the desert weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancers View Post
Different people told me that Arizona is VERY humid. I cam from Las Vegas and I know the desert doesn't get humid, it is a dry heat. I am moving to Chandler and I was just making sure that it still had the desert weather.
People who have told you AZ is "humid" have either never been here or were here during the Monsoon season. That generally lasts from July to Sept., or so. There's no absolute as to how long it lasts. And even then it's NOTHING compared to other parts of the country. I've lived in Vegas and think it's comparable.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
Yep-Chandler is still in the desert, hasn't moved. Humidity in Arizona is not on the scale that you would get elsewhere. I lived in Cleveland and I have been in Florida in the summer. Arizona doesn't even come close as far as humidity is concerned-even during monsoon season. My older sister lives in Vegas right now. Arizona may be a few percentage points more humid and a few degrees warmer sometimes (which is a good thing in the winter lol!), but the difference is not that significant in the humidity IMHO.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Yep-Chandler is still in the desert, hasn't moved. Humidity in Arizona is not on the scale that you would get elsewhere. I lived in Cleveland and I have been in Florida in the summer. Arizona doesn't even come close as far as humidity is concerned-even during monsoon season. My older sister lives in Vegas right now. Arizona may be a few percentage points more humid and a few degrees warmer sometimes (which is a good thing in the winter lol!), but the difference is not that significant in the humidity IMHO.
I learned what "humidity" REALLY means when I spent five summers in Detroit. Oh my! I was so happy to come home and, while I do sometimes complain about the heat, I'm basically happy with where I live.

I get such a kick out of my forum friends. In winter we kick and complain about the cold and in summer about the heat. Can't we all just be happy??

Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Yeah, I grew up in South Florida...

Either someone is trying to pull your leg or they're basing their judgment on a very small timeframe, during which they probably visited and got the wrong impression. While it's true we've had a bit rainier (and therefore temporarily more humid) winter than usual, these are only brief weather systems that have come and gone. Not being surrounded by water, the natural default state is dry. If anyone actually lives here for a considerable period of time and still says it's humid then they're nuts. They need to try living in South Florida. heh.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 PM

365 posts, read 423,762 times
What I think is that humidity is on the rise...mind you only in a small amount but when its 110 1% humidity more than what use to be normal makes it very uncomfortable.
Lots of pools and man made lakes in the desert can raise every so slightly the humidity levels from their "natural" state. That is not good for comfort levels in the desert summer.

I believe that Tucson is much drier than the Phoenix Valley for this reason....

Any opinions? I've been out of Phoenix since 1992

Old 04-12-2010, 04:59 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,830 times
Depends opn where one was in Arizona. If they were in the forests of Northern, eastern, and southeastern Arizona then it would much more humid. But here in the valley, not all the time. usually it's about 20%. July through September it gets humid all over the state.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM

13 posts, read 21,701 times
Right now I am living in Ohio, so yeah, Cleveland is only about 1 1/2 hour away, and as long as Arizona is NOTHING like Ohio, were good... If you haven't experienced the humidity in the eastern state of Ohio, your lucky... Thank you all for your information.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
AZ is about as dry as they come. You want humidity? Tennessee and southwards has allllll the humidity you want.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Whoever told you Arizona is humid must also believe things such as:
-Elvis is still alive
-Little gnomes steal our underwear in the middle of the night
-Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area