Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Lets understand this. You buy a home that you can afford. You make your payments each month. Your working and can make the payments that you signed up for. Prices decline and your homes value plumets. Your job is still secure and you can still make the payments on the home but you choose to walk away? Why? What changed in that scenario? To those that can make the payments I would like to ask how has the change in home value changed your personal economic situation if your monthly mortgage payment is the same? My thought is that if your income has maintainted its value, your payments are the same and not tied to an ARM then personally nothing is costing you any additional monthly cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Lets understand this. You buy a home that you can afford. You make your payments each month. Your working and can make the payments that you signed up for. Prices decline and your homes value plumets. Your job is still secure and you can still make the payments on the home but you choose to walk away? Why? What changed in that scenario? To those that can make the payments I would like to ask how has the change in home value changed your personal economic situation if your monthly mortgage payment is the same? My thought is that if your income has maintainted its value, your payments are the same and not tied to an ARM then personally nothing is costing you any additional monthly cost.
Yep, SOON . . . blatant irresponsibility, isn't it?

Doesn't this scenario happen frequently with new vehicles yet most decent "adults" prefer to stick it out and honor their commitment.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Because there's an opportunity cost. The same payments could go to some other place that's a much better deal and has greater appreciation potential, or, buy the nearly identical house next door for half the price, thus half the payments.

For those who are considerably underwater this can be tempting.

Let's face it, a home without equity is just a rental with debt.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Because there's an opportunity cost. The same payments could go to some other place that's a much better deal and has greater appreciation potential, or, buy the nearly identical house next door for half the price, thus half the payments.

For those who are considerably underwater this can be tempting.

Let's face it, a home without equity is just a rental with debt.
Yep. If you have a $250,000 mortgage on a home that's worth $125,000, the odds are that you'll never dig out of that hole. It may harm how your family can live their life, whether or not you can afford to put your kids in college, you would have no flexibility to move if you wanted to, and you may have to work the rest of your life, instead of retiring at 65, or whenever. It's kind of a big deal, and we are only on this earth once, so why shackle yourself with something like that if the state allows you to get out of it?

Like I said, it's a business decision, and family comes before anything else, including banks and morals. If you can reduce your payment from $1,800 to $900 for the same house, and be in a better equity position eventually, it certainly would be tempting. So I can say that I understand why people do it. Luckily, I am not underwater on my mortgage, but if I were in the position that I described above, I have a feeling that I would be inclined to start over.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,885 times
If you have a 300,000 loan on a 100,000 home; (30 year loan); the payments on 300K would pay off a 100K loan in about 5 years. 25 years of payments--that's a friggin' (first time I've ever used that word) long time! There are many in a similar situation here in the valley.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM

285 posts, read 785,358 times
Like I said, it's a business decision, and family comes before anything else, including banks and morals. If you can reduce your payment from $1,800 to $900 for the same house, and be in a better equity position eventually, it certainly would be tempting. So I can say that I understand why people do it. Luckily, I am not underwater on my mortgage, but if I were in the position that I described above, I have a feeling that I would be inclined to start over.[/quote]

When ever someone is telling me "it's a business decision" I know I'm about to get screwed.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post

When ever someone is telling me "it's a business decision" I know I'm about to get screwed.
Explain, dano. How are you getting screwed?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,885 times
when someone says "It's not about the money".........guess what?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 PM

285 posts, read 785,358 times
Because it's a way to explain away unethical behavior. Would like to write more but one sentence pretty much does it.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Because it's a way to explain away unethical behavior. Would like to write more but one sentence pretty much does it.
Like I said, family comes before anything, including morals and ethics. Especially since 1. The state allows it, and 2. The very banks that hold these mortgages are "guilty" of the same mortgage practices over and over again. I would love for there to be some recourse, even if is as small as 10-20% re-payment of the losses, but that doesn't exist now, so it makes absolute sense from a mathematic and investment standpoint. People that think to the future realize that this is the best path in cases where they are substantially underwater, especially in less desirable markets like Buckeye, Surprise and San Tan Valley that will take many years to recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area