Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
nooooooo...really..i'm too naive for it to be a joke..My husband has a black acura with tan interior and is considering selling it before we leave because of the intensity of the sun.
Don't sell it, you'll be fine! I would recommend legal window tint with UV protection, very nice to have and really complements a black vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
Not so sure how much color is an influence. I moved here with a fancy car that had an almost-white interior, all leather/vinyl, lacquered wood components - and it absolutely baked. Tinted the windows and it helped a little, but I think the materials used are more influencial than the color. The car also had one of those really big dashboard tops, which would absorb and radiate a ton of heat. I'd sit in that for half an hour, windows open and AC on full blast to get comfy.

My new car is charcoal gray (almost black) and dark, cloth interior/seats. It's much more comfortable and while still gets hot sitting in the sun, doesn't retain the heat as much. So in my experience, stay away from big dashboards/windshields and leather-like interiors. There's a reason you lift a hot pot/plate with cloth.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Not all window tints block heat. The factory tint on most vehicles is a dyed glass that offers no heat protection. Your basic tint that most people have offers around 15%-25% blockage of ultraviolet radiation. Having tinted windows doesn't automatically mean your car will be cooler.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
Not automatically, but having your windows tinted to the legal limit can reduce inside temps around 4degrees. Also, having a black car in a hot area is a non issue to me. Maybe i can just deal with the heat, but i know that within a matter of minutes regardless of color and providing my AC works, the car will fell the same on the inside.
You could look into getting a remote start for your car as well. Then you could have the car running for a few minutes cooling off before you need to get in.

make sure that you keep your windows cracked a little bit though!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,918 times
In addition to the outside, if you have a leather interior, try not to wear shorts that don't cover up the back of your leg.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:14 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Not automatically, but having your windows tinted to the legal limit can reduce inside temps around 4degrees.
No it doesn't. The limo tint that involves the windows appearing pitch black that prohibits people from seeing into your car is often achieved with a charcoal coat, which does not repel heat. I'm not trying to be difficult; I'm trying to make a point. You have to learn what type of tint you have because many are non-functional with regard to repelling heat especially if it is a factory tint. The appearance or darkness of the tint does not automatically mean it blocks heat. You can have your windows tinted to the legal limit with a charcoal coat and still have no heat protection.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 29,282 times
Don't listen to what people tell you if they say it's bad to have a black car in AZ...my husband and I both have black cars...when it's hot here, it's hot and having a different color car will not help! All the cars get dirty, but luckily there's a car wash on every corner for super cheap prices...keep your car!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Black cars are hard to maintain in Arizona, the duest and waterspots make you wash your car once a week at least. I used to drive a black truck, I would polish/wax/claybar every 1-2 months.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf.0205 View Post
Don't listen to what people tell you if they say it's bad to have a black car in AZ...my husband and I both have black cars...when it's hot here, it's hot and having a different color car will not help! All the cars get dirty, but luckily there's a car wash on every corner for super cheap prices...keep your car!
If you both have black cars then how would you know the difference? I currently have a black and white car. Both have have light interior with the same tint and the white car is definitely cooler. I can leave my white car all day out in the sun and get back in it and it not feel that different. My black car will still feel pretty hot but not as hot as a car with a black interior.

I'm not saying that a black car with a white interior is unbearable but people who say there is no difference between a white and black car clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
I forgot to mention this in my previous post, out of all the cars I have owned, I have definetly noticed a difference in interior temp with the darker colored cars, my black truck was the worst, then my maroon impala was next, that thing was imbareable with leather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area