Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

September 2010 Theme DISCUSSION

The winner for the August 2010 Theme PICTURES is "Over the hills and far away - Led Zepplin", by MtnSurfer !

MtnSurfer, please consider a theme for the September 2010 contest. Discussions should be in this thread.

Tomorrow, I will create a new thread to place the entry pictures.

Thanks,

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Hey guys,

I think I'd like to try something a little for the group this month if the rest of the forum feels up for it. How about an image taken at night which contains some earth and sky? Some examples of this could be a cityscape, an old barn under the night sky, a river, lake, ocean under the stars, a camp fire, an outdoor concert or anything you find interesting while viewed at night. The only requirement would be that it contains something from earth in it and not just be a shot of the moon for example, as that is another type of photography - astrophotography.

Derek

Old 09-04-2010, 04:31 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Congratulations, MtnSurfer September shots should be interesting!

Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Oh, that sounds like I need to step outside my comfort zone... I like it. I'll give it a try.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 AM

957 posts, read 758,275 times
Sounds good to me. This will present a challenge in camera settings, I like that.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Ok, if you guys are up for the challenge then let's give it a go.

Since this one will present more of a technical challenge I'd like to offer a few tips, especially for those who normally don't shoot at night.

* If you have a tripod use it. If not consider borrowing one.
* If you have manual mode use it.
* Typically you will want to shoot with the lens wider open to let in more light. So that means go to your lowest f-stop like f2.8 or f4.
* Longer shutter speeds provide more light. This can mean shooting anywhere from 15 seconds to 1 hour+ depending on the effect desired. Over 25-30 seconds will create star trails.
* Bump up ISO depending on how dark it is. Anywhere from 800-4000 ISO can work well at night. Much will depend on how dark it is.
* Consider the moon as a source of light. During different phases of the moon different effects can be achieved. A full moon can can be a great light source and can really help illuminate foreground subjects. Dark skies and no moon provides the best view of the stars. While a partial moon can sometimes provide a happy medium - some extra light but stars which are more visible. This is one to try throughtout the month.
* Experiment, experiment, experiment. Night photography can provide all sorts of new opportunities and views of the world. It can be both frustrating and rewarding. So some practice is required.
* Don't forget a flashlight/headlamp and take it slow. I twisted my ankle really bad one pitch black night when I was so excited to see the bright stars overhead. I was looking up at the stars rather than the trail when I hit a big rut -- then bam followed by a lot of pain.
* Previsualize and use your imagination - think about what might look interesting under the stars at night like an old barn, a windmill, mountain, lake, trees, etc... Just like daytime composition is important. So finding a interesting subject will be part of the challenge and reward.

Here is a good tutorial with some nice examples:
Stars - Photography Reviews, How-To, and Galleries of Digital Grin.

Although it's fun to enter early and see the entries, consider waiting a bit this month and experimenting with different moon phases. Sometimes you will be surprised what varying conditions will provide. Even some clouds can add an interesting effects with longer exposures.

Most of all have fun with it while allowing your abilities/skills to be somewhat stretched.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-05-2010 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
I suppose this excludes those without professional level equipment.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I suppose this excludes those without professional level equipment.
Looks that way to me, too.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:47 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
I don't think so. I had a good P&S that took some really nice nighttime photos. It was the Sony H5. You will need a tripod for sure and manual modes for your camera.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 PM

The main thing you will need is a tripod. Many point and shoot cameras have adjustments for aperture, shutter and even ISO. My son's little Panasonic p&s has those features and its not a pro camera. If not the camera may come with a night mode (sometimes on the top dial). I'd recommend at least giving it a try as you might be surprised what a p&s can do. You could start with sunset light and then see how it does a little after that - on a tripod of course. Also with a full moon you will be surprised how much light it actually provides. The main objective is to stretch your skills and your camera this month to try something you may not have before.

One thing I was thinking about was for those who are trying this for the first time or rusty at it to post their intial attempts in this thread. Then suggestions could be made which might help the individual for the next time out. I've done enough experimenting with the stuff to be able to provide some help or additional tips as needed. I know it can be tricky the first time out.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-06-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography > Photography Contests