Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times

Advertisements

I have less than a handful in frames on my fridge but none on my walls. I always have good intentions, and I have LOTS of blank wall space. I guess either I can't choose the ones I want to print, or I can't picture an arrangement in my head -- that combined with the fact that I keep thinking I'm going to shoot something better than I've already done.

Having said all that, I promised myself that I will gift myself with a canvas wrap of one of my photos for Christmas this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 01:29 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
yep, I have quite a few hanging in the house. Mostly because my DW keeps coming up with another space that needs "something" and that always turns out to be a photo she saw of mine she wants to hang. Most are not framed, but rather I order direct from the lab (Bay Photo) and have them mounted on 3mm gaterboard so they don't need frames. A couple are canvas and even a metal print or two have made their way into the house. I REALLY like the looks of the metal prints and having them "float mounted" which places them about 3/8" off the wall and looks very nice.

mathjak, you should look at the metal prints. Some of yours would really POP if printed on metal.
I had never heard the term "metal print" before so I just looked it up on the bayphoto.com website. What do you think of them? I see it says they come in High Gloss, Satin, and Sheer with a Glossy or Matte finish. What do you prefer?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why wait for that? It's way cheaper to have your prints printed professionally than to print them yourself. Printing yourself is great for proofing, or grabbing a quick print. But the paper and ink costs for inkjet printers is way more money then sending them to a print lab. I use Bay Prints from Smugmug.

To the OP, I have a few shots of mine hanging in my home. I need to print many more, but I've been lazy. A friend of mine who I often shoot with but lives in another town has his home full of prints from places we've both shot together. My jaw almost dropped when I walked into his place recently. They look fantastic. I think in this electric age we forget all about prints. Kind of like losing the forest through the trees.

Thanks... I would like some day be able to print & mount. I agree on cost.. I would prefer 18 X 24 ~ 14 X 16 ~ 16 x 18 ... not knowing what standard size is and finding a quality printer & cost. And special paper.. flax ~ linen ~ low mat ~ water color paper style.
8 x 10 nice... but would like larger..

Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I had never heard the term "metal print" before so I just looked it up on the bayphoto.com website. What do you think of them? I see it says they come in High Gloss, Satin, and Sheer with a Glossy or Matte finish. What do you prefer?
I'm old school and like low luster mounted in a nice frame to match decor of it's environment .. and photo should.... I feel also match it's environment. And be square on the walls and not hung sloppy..

Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
It really depends on the print for me personally. Something with strong vibrant colors to me looks better high gloss. Something like a landscape to me looks better with a satin and frankly I'm not a fan of the sheer. I think a fine art portrait may look good, but I don't shoot those, so have never had the chance to see one in person done with in a sheer print.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It really depends on the print for me personally. Something with strong vibrant colors to me looks better high gloss. Something like a landscape to me looks better with a satin and frankly I'm not a fan of the sheer. I think a fine art portrait may look good, but I don't shoot those, so have never had the chance to see one in person done with in a sheer print.
Thanks for the advice. I learned something today.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
I have a couple of photos framed (landscapes) on the living room wall. Since both are in the 11x14 range, I found that my local Costco photo lab does an EXCELLENT job at that size and they're very inexpensive. Lots more cost effective than self-printing.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
I'm curious about this. I don't print my own photos except for club competitions. I have none hanging on my walls.

Do you display framed print versions of your photos on your walls at home? If so, what's on your walls? You know, what are they photos of (people, landscapes, wildlife, plants, etc.)? In which room in your home (where the most visitors would see them like a living/dining room or in an office/den/bedroom) are they?

If you are a former film user, did you tend to hang more prints then compared to when you went digital?
Yes, definitely. Most are family photos, but I also have many from past vacations - the ones that I thought were really special. I don't know that I hang less or more now or then, but eventually, you tend to fill those blank walls, so simply due to space constraints, it slows down. I have some in every room of the house.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM

136 posts, read 329,642 times
Default We love our own photos

For years I never liked any store bought pictures enough to buy them for our walls. We had a few, mostly family or some paintings we bought but nothing I really cared about.... until we went digital. After the kids were gone we started taking great vacations to Colorado, Montana, Utah, SDakota, Maine, New Hampshire and Switzerland 1 time. Now our walls are full of all the wonderful National Parks, mountains and wildlife that we love so much. We have them printed (usually 18x15 plus/Matting&Frame) at a great little place in Gainesville, FL. Then we have a great time with their professional getting just the right mattings and frames to highlight each picture. We use a different frame for each trip so when we look at the picts on the wall we know which trip and where it was taken just by the color and style of frame (black for Maine/NewHampshire, tan for Colorado, brown & black for UT/MT/SD etc). I love taking photos and can't wait until our trip to Oregon this next spring but I'm out of wall space.

Last edited by KLBFL50; 11-15-2010 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Size around 26 inches w/frames and matting.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:09 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I have only my own. Printed on canvas using an Epson 9800 that I owned. I sold it but still have access to it if I need to use it. I still shoot 4sx5 film for very large prints up to 60" wide and poster size with digital. I love to print on Fredrick's portrait grade smooth canvas for detail and the no need of glass to cover it. I've got both landscapes, florals, and grand kids on the walls.

I have a 40x50 print of this landscape printed on canvas and it is my all time favorite. It was taken with the old wooden box camera shooting Velvia. When scanned it is the equivalent of a 288 mega pixel camera. This is a landscape I took at Bok Tower Sanctuary near Lake Wales, FL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography