Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody. Reading and playing with LR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 05:57 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
I use Lightroom for about about 95% of my editing. I like the interface better and I found it easier to learn.

As other have mentioned, Photoshop does more. I use that if I have to really edit out errors (i.e. pesky powerline in a landscape shot), merge to HDR (which I rarely do) or add real special effects. Just about everything else I like to do, I can do in lightroom.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:02 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the new healing brush in elements 9.0 is great at cloning out just about anything.... i played with lightroom for a few days and i like it.

for nikon products as far as a raw editor nothing i tried beats capture nx2.

its so much faster to edit local areas with its nik color point system.

the nx2 software is also the only software that can read and display your in camera settings you used in raw. anything you set in camera from contrast,sharpening,saturation to special profiles you want to use are all kept and displayed.

lightroom and adobe products only read exposure and white balance.everything else isnt pick up.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the new healing brush in elements 9.0 is great at cloning out just about anything.... i played with lightroom for a few days and i like it.

for nikon products as far as a raw editor nothing i tried beats capture nx2.

its so much faster to edit local areas with its nik color point system.

the nx2 software is also the only software that can read and display your in camera settings you used in raw. anything you set in camera from contrast,sharpening,saturation to special profiles you want to use are all kept and displayed.

lightroom and adobe products only read exposure and white balance.everything else isnt pick up.
No. What you do is to set the "preferences" to do whatever you want CS5 to do. For example, you can have the data printed on the photo if you choose to do so.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:31 AM

your mis-understanding im not talking about the medadata. im talking about actually displaying the photo with whatever settings you have set in camera.

typically only jpegs will actually use the in camera settings you chose. nikon nx2 can actually display raw photos using whatever saturation,contrast,sharpening,brightness levels you have set in camera.

i like to use a profile of settings from time to time ken rockwell came up with in camera. if i shoot raw and dont use nx2 i cant see those settings .

typically ill edit and convert to tiff in nx2 preserving all my in camera settings then ill bring that into elements to be worked on.

adobe camera raw makes a half hearted attempt at duplicating some of the picture control settings in post processing after the fact but they arent quite right and anything extra you set in camera like some extra contrast or sharpening, etc cant be duplicated . you first have to play with all the sliders to try to duplicate what you saw in camera but if you shoot raw you cant see it on screen unless you shoot raw plus jpeg and what a pain that is to start to play with.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
your mis-understanding im not talking about the medadata. im talking about actually displaying the photo with whatever settings you have set in camera.

typically only jpegs will actually use the in camera settings you chose. nikon nx2 can actually display raw photos using whatever saturation,contrast,sharpening,brightness levels you have set in camera.

i like to use a profile of settings from time to time ken rockwell came up with in camera. if i shoot raw and dont use nx2 i cant see those settings .

typically ill edit and convert to tiff in nx2 preserving all my in camera settings then ill bring that into elements to be worked on.

adobe camera raw makes a half hearted attempt at duplicating some of the picture control settings in post processing after the fact but they arent quite right and anything extra you set in camera like some extra contrast or sharpening, etc cant be duplicated . you first have to play with all the sliders to try to duplicate what you saw in camera but if you shoot raw you cant see it on screen unless you shoot raw plus jpeg and what a pain that is to start to play with.
Maybe I am wrong. I haven't used PSE for a long time, but if I well remember, before you open a RAW image on the screen, there is a pre-opening window on which you can choose an automatic process(where PSE automatically changes the image), a custom process (where you choose to make changes or not), and perhaps a preset mode. As far as I remember, PSE does not change whatever settings you prefer in you camera. It just gives you the options for you to increase or decrease whatever settings you used on your camera. But I am talking only about RAW images since I don't know much about JPEG.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 PM

both photoshop and elements in raw can only read white balance settings and exposure settings,period. they can not read any internal camera settings at all. they open up your raw in their own profile or if you save some presets it will open in those but none are what you had in camera , you have to shoot in jpeg to carry over in camera settings.

sensor data, EXIF and white balance readings are all that Adobe can read. The in-camera settings are encoded by Nikon, so that only their software can read it.

nikon capture nx2 is the only software that can read raw settings for all the other stuff you can set in camera... the higher end nikon cameras can use custom profiles you can create and load into your camera using nikon nx2 as well. its alot of fun creating your own looks . but once again adobe products cant read them in raw.

my workflow has me loading my raw into nx2 first, converting to tiffs so i can preserve all my settings and then i open in photoshop elements. in fact if i use my nik color effex filters in capture nx2 which is the version of nik i have if i dont save my work to a tiff first photoshgop cant even see the nik filters embedded in a NEF file that i import.

the preset mode you see in ACR attempts to duplicate the standard nikon picture control settings outside the camera ,its really not that close and its very limited as its only the very basic profile.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-26-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
both photoshop and elements in raw can only read white balance settings and exposure settings,period. they can not read any internal camera settings at all. they open up your raw in their own profile or if you save some presets it will open in those but none are what you had in camera , you have to shoot in jpeg to carry over in camera settings.

sensor data, EXIF and white balance readings are all that Adobe can read. The in-camera settings are encoded by Nikon, so that only their software can read it.

nikon capture nx2 is the only software that can read raw settings for all the other stuff you can set in camera... the higher end nikon cameras can use custom profiles you can create and load into your camera using nikon nx2 as well. its alot of fun creating your own looks . but once again adobe products cant read them in raw.

my workflow has me loading my raw into nx2 first, converting to tiffs so i can preserve all my settings and then i open in photoshop elements. in fact if i use my nik color effex filters in capture nx2 which is the version of nik i have if i dont save my work to a tiff first photoshgop cant even see the nik filters embedded in a NEF file that i import.

the preset mode you see in ACR attempts to duplicate the standard nikon picture control settings outside the camera ,its really not that close and its very limited as its only the very basic profile.
I see what you are trying to say. I was reading a discussion about this exact subject in this forum:
Flickr: Discussing Lightroom 3 - Camera profile and RAW settings in Wedding Photography (http://www.flickr.com/groups/weddingphoto/discuss/72157625505382213/ - broken link)

By the way, I am on the side of the guy who's defending LightRoom and CS, since I prefer to change the looks of my photos from the camera's settings, and want the freedom of not being locked with only one manufacturer's RAW system.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 PM

nobody veers more from in camera settings then me when it comes to editing the way i like lol....

capture nx2 has all the raw editing capabilities that lightroom has plus way more. the color point system it uses from nik software is amazing. it has no organizational ability though but you can edit and change to your hearts content. you can spend a few hundred dollars for nik viveza and have the color point system added as a plug in to photoshop but since nik software wrote capture nx2 for nikon alot of the features are built into capture nx2..

when i shoot company functions or car shows with loads of photos i like getting the photos about 90% of the way i like them in camera and i shoot raw. these are not the kinds of photos i edit much or even want to. the fact that the software reads my settings is nice. thats not to say playing around in acr cant duplicate those settings but its just nice have those kind of photos pretty much done as is.

i have been using the nikon software for 4 years now for all raw editing . i started using acr and elements recently but editing raw is far faster and i find just looks better in the nikon software.

its just a pain to interface the nikon software into lightroom and elements as i have to convert all my raw to tiff in order to bring it into photoshop and preserve the work i did in raw in nx2.

its not just the in camera settings acr cant read its all the edits that are done in nx2 and saved in nef form as well.

im trying to force myself to do more and more in photoshop and acr but just the mere fact my nik filters only work in nx2 have me constantly bouncing back and forth.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-26-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 AM

I have all the Color Efex Pro 3.0 Complete (all the filters), Topaz a Adjust 4, OnOne Open Photo Tools Pro, and Neat Image. They are expensive, but I get a huge discount at school. For example $199.00 for CS5 extended, and the same price for Nik's Pro filters. The OnOne pro filters I got free when I bought CS5, and then upgraded to the Pro version for $49.00. I would like to buy Vivesa, but at $199.00 it's just too expensive as only one filter.

But if I take my time I can do a lot of the work the filters do, manually using CS5. It's just time consuming, and as I get older each day it seems that I don't have much time left to do all i want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography