Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times

Advertisements

I've been researching for two days on the best digital camera (point and shoot) for under $100. It was all starting to do me in because the reviews were all sounding the same, everywhere I went... YouTube, Amazon, BestBuy, CNet, Costco, Target, etc.,

UNTIL I came across one glowing review for the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100. So, I researched that one and found the majority of the reviews to be glowing. (The biggest con is that you can't zoom as your filming video.)

The test videos people uploaded to YouTube were, without a doubt, amazing quality!

The price was the same everywhere... $169.00. Then, by sheer blessing, Best Buy just happened to be having a Midnight Sale. Tonight only (until 8am) and THIS CAMERA was part of it! I got it for $149.00 and can pick it up in the store tomorrow! (AND I get a free camera bag for buying it online!)

I plan to use this camera to take pictures and video for my blog. Did I do okay? Is this a good camera for a not stupid, learns quickly, non-technical gadget fan like myself?

Also, I need your advice, what kind of memory card should I buy for it? (Can I trust the Best Buy salesperson tomorrow to not slyly upsell me a more expensive one than I need?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Be smart, don't buy the "Buyer protection plan". get a 4gb chip, it'll handle your needs. If you allow the salesman to "upsell" you,
you'll be leaving the store with a $500.00 camera. Stick to your guns, get only what you are looking for, nothing more, nothing less.
As long as you are in a low budget market, the $149.00 Canon will please you but I'd bet that you'll kick your butt because for a hundred
or so dollars more, you might've overcome that video-zooming problem. I predict that within weeks of your purchase, you'll wish that you
would have bought a different camera. Why half-step? You'll never get more than what you pay for and with your blog hanging in the balance,
you deserve the best! Go for it!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM

I really appreciate the feedback, Eddie.

I agree about the half-step with the zoom feature. Actually, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 is out and HAS the zoom feature. It's pretty great. It's $199.00. Before I found Best Buy's Midnight Sale, the 100 was $169. For only $30 more, I'd definitely get the 300 model. (There's bound to be a few times I'd wish I had it.) But, when the $149 sale came along, I thought saving $50 wasn't a bad thing.

Here's what I'm thinking: When I go to pick up the camera tomorrow, I'll tell them that I'm considering upgrading to the 300 model and can I please apply the $20 off from the Midnight Sale to the 300 model? Can't hurt to ask!

As for the Extended Warranty... I only ever buy them when I buy a new computer or a car. Nothing else. Awesome tip! Thanks! And I'm good at sticking to my guns. I just didn't want to be upsold unawares when I don't know about a product.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Lets make this very simple; did I just buy a good camera ? YES !

Now the next step is to LEARN how to use THAT CAMERA to its full potential.

Any camera - is capable of creating a stunning photograph!! It has nothing to do with the camera.

Let me illustrate using my favorite example to put this into the proper context.

I am going to 'draw' a picture of my dog. What type of pencil should I use ??

It has nothing to do with (which pencil) it is all about the SKILL(s) you have or possess.

The same is true with photography - it doesn't matter which camera you use. That final image is ALL THAT COUNTS!!

It requires great skill to consistently create stunning images - frame after frame. some people claim they shoot 10,000 photos in a year.. (chuckle)

That is not a photographer.... that is "wishful' thinking. click & hope for the best.

I do not use the Uzi approach to photography as many people do. I'd rather use the 'sniper' approach one click = one good photograph.

Ansel Adams said: 12 good photographs in one year is a good crop!!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Lets make this very simple; did I just buy a good camera ? YES !

Now the next step is to LEARN how to use THAT CAMERA to its full potential.

Any camera - is capable of creating a stunning photograph!! It has nothing to do with the camera.

Let me illustrate using my favorite example to put this into the proper context.
We have a similar explanation in bicycle racing regarding equipment. The latest and greatest equipment won't win you the race, but poor equipment can lose it for you.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks SityData and PanTerra. I appreciate the reminders and encouragement. SityData, have you had experience with the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100?

I'm a manual reader, so learning the functions and features of the camera won't be too difficult. I'll have fun experimenting with the different modes.

It would be swell to have stunning photographs for my blog but, honestly, that's not the biggest goal for me. Sure, I'll take the best ones I can and put effort into it, but as long as they aren't obviously horrible, they'll do.

What I really want to learn now is how to keep my videos and pictures private. I don't want them used elsewhere or embedded on other websites. Is there a way to do that?

Well, I'm off to pick up my new camera! I'll keep checking in here because I'm all ears if anyone who has worked with this camera has any tips or warnings. And I'll let you know if Best Buy let me apply the $20 discount towards the 300 model!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 902 times
Default The best advce fo photographers

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Thanks SityData and PanTerra. I appreciate the reminders and encouragement. SityData, have you had experience with the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100?

I'm a manual reader, so learning the functions and features of the camera won't be too difficult. I'll have fun experimenting with the different modes.

It would be swell to have stunning photographs for my blog but, honestly, that's not the biggest goal for me. Sure, I'll take the best ones I can and put effort into it, but as long as they aren't obviously horrible, they'll do.

What I really want to learn now is how to keep my videos and pictures private. I don't want them used elsewhere or embedded on other websites. Is there a way to do that?

Well, I'm off to pick up my new camera! I'll keep checking in here because I'm all ears if anyone who has worked with this camera has any tips or warnings. And I'll let you know if Best Buy let me apply the $20 discount towards the 300 model!
I have been taking pictures for 73 years. Using many different types and brands of cameras.
I also teach photography. For years I taught film photography, all types. I teach digital photography the same way.
Lesson one open the books that come with the camera. find all the working parts and study them so you can find and operate them blindfolded.
Lesson two Learn all the controls that govern light and focus, how and why they do that.
Lesson three. Take your cmera out side and using the books set it and take pictures of everything blowing around, moving setting still, In the shade in the sun etc. and check your results and adjust your settings and take them again.
Never go on a photo shoot without the book. Take pictures every day and some day you will get the hang of it. You will be recording light. It changes constantly. You have to learn to read it before you can properly record it.

Last edited by Rance; 09-15-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
We have a similar explanation in bicycle racing regarding equipment. The latest and greatest equipment won't win you the race, but poor equipment can lose it for you.
Your analogy just doesn't fit here, and here is why. I don't need a pencil to draw or write - I can take a scrap piece of wood - sharpen it and burn the end and then draw or write - to make the picture.

Photography is not about a 'race'. It is all about "how you look" (@ certain subjects and such).

When I see people keep asking the same simple question... What type of camera should I buy - etc. The same answers are always given.

The first thing anyone new to photography has to learn - is how to create -- well composed stunning photographs. That requires practice no matter what you are holding or using.

No one ever approaches a ladder and puts their foot on the fourth step.

Too many people new to photography think; that if I buy this camera or that camera "then I will be able to duplicate those results".

Well as you view photos from many different people - it is obvious; some know how to see; others are still blind as to what it takes.

Some people are extremely gifted; others have to take time to learn ALL the simple basics before they can advance to the next step.

I've said this before and this is a great place to say it again.. .. and again.. The proper way to LEARN "composition" is NOT by reading books!!

The best way to learn... is to study images taken by (recognized) professionals.

Ansel Adams said: There are NO RULES for great photographs; there are only great photographs!!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
It's hard to go wrong with a Canon anything.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:58 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's hard to go wrong with a Canon anything.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
LOL, best advice yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography