Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM

156 posts, read 717,931 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone who is more electronics savvy than I can offer some advice.

My 16 year old son has Autism, and he recently dropped my Canon Powershot digital camera..it was a hard drop on my hardwood floor, and the camera is pretty much shot (and it's only two years old...sigh). Anyway, I want to get him his own camera/video cam. He loves to take video clips...seriously, he can spend hours working on clips that he uploads to the computer and then has his older sister use MS Moviemaker to make shows he can burn onto a DVD. So, he's been using the video portion of my (now dead) camera far more than the actual camera. But he still needs to be able to take still shots too.

Is there a reasonably ($100-ish or less) digital video camera I could get for him that would be EASY to use, with a rechargeable battery that would also take still shots? I've been looking online and my head is swimming...I found one called a "Flip" something or other that looks promising, but I'm afraid he wouldn't understand how to get his still pictures from a video clip.

Thanks for any advice. I am not tech-savvy at all...I break out in cold sweats at the thought of having to purchase anything electronic. :/ Not to mention I also have a get a new point and shoot digital camera for myself. Ugh. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM

521 posts, read 860,206 times
Greetings from Westminster!

This is the first thing that came to mind when I read your qualifications for a new camera for your son. I've tested it extensively and am even considering using this model for my non-profit. Fits your criteria perfectly except the recharge battery but you can get rechargable alkalines for it.

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.222433400

For usability, it can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography