Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:04 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,394 times

Advertisements

I posted a photo tour of downtown cary, NC yesteday: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...town-cary.html. In taking those pictures I purposefully avoided shooting people and cars. My reasoning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

This was my first attempt at 'urban' photography beyond vacation snaps. I had intended to go out early on a Sunday morning to avoid scorching July temperatures, strong shadows/poor lighting conditions and what I term 'foreground clutter' (people and cars). Instead I headed out around noon. It was not too much trouble to wait for for pedestrians/traffic to pass by. I did this partly for aesthetics and partly for the privacy aspect. It seems impolite to post pictures of strangers on the web without their permission. Downtown Cary has a really human scale and I am not yet ready for street portraits. I would be willing to shoot candids at events though. Everyone expects cameras at arts & crafts festivals, concerts, parades etc. I wonder if extroverts wrangle with these issues! .
How does everyone else feel about photographing strangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I don't feel right "Intentionally" photographing strangers. But if I'm taking a picture of a fountain or something and there happens to be people there, I don't even hesitate.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
I aviod people also. I sell alot of my photos at stock photo sites and unless I have a model permission form, I usually cannot sell the photos. So its easier for me to aviod people in my pictures.

If I am at an event, then I don't feel bad taking pictures with random people in it. I submit them to the local paper, who has no problem running them. I am not taking photos of just one person eating an ice cream, its usually photos of airplanes at the air fare with people milling around, a large shot looking down a city sidewalk with vendor tables and lots of people shopping, or the dance groups at commuity celebrations. I always carry model releases with me in case someone has an issue.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I sometimes avoid them, but sometimes, if i post a thread on a web, do shoot them just so you get a feel of the city and its people. I kind of have mixed feelings on the subject

Old 10-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am new to photography and so I am grappling with these issues for the first time.

I had another go at urban photography with http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...wn-durham.html. This time I tried to be a little less obsessive. The bridge photo has some people in the background, the Fishmonger's restaurant photo has some people seated by the window and the Brightleaf Square photo has a few people milling around. In each of these cases I feel that the people depicted would not even recognize themselves. I suppose this is my current comfort level regarding photographing strangers and posting the pictures on the web. I know this means that the places I visit look like they have been evacuated.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Well my son & I were in a newspaper pic...I did not like it & told them so. Then they wanted to charge me for a copy!!! If I was asked up front I most likely would have said NO But to be surprized as a front page heading...some people did not need to know where I live, etc.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I am new to photography and so I am grappling with these issues for the first time.

I had another go at urban photography with http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...wn-durham.html. This time I tried to be a little less obsessive. The bridge photo has some people in the background, the Fishmonger's restaurant photo has some people seated by the window and the Brightleaf Square photo has a few people milling around. In each of these cases I feel that the people depicted would not even recognize themselves. I suppose this is my current comfort level regarding photographing strangers and posting the pictures on the web. I know this means that the places I visit look like they have been evacuated.
If you're using an adjustable camera stop it wayyyyy down.....even to the point of adding neutral density filters to the lens....slow the shutter speed wayyyyy dowbn to match [on a tripod of course] and bingo....they all disappear.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
If you're using an adjustable camera stop it wayyyyy down.....even to the point of adding neutral density filters to the lens....slow the shutter speed wayyyyy down to match [on a tripod of course] and bingo....they all disappear.
I thank you for your response. I love that you have the technical know-how to do a workaround of the whole 'people in the way' issue. I am afraid it went over my head however. For the time being I am using a basic point and shoot Kodak C340 and, um, no tripod.

If this sub-forum is for professional photographers then I shall quietly back away...

Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Quote:
If this sub-forum is for professional photographers then I shall quietly back away...
No need to back away. Its a great place to learn and share.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
I thank you for your response. I love that you have the technical know-how to do a workaround of the whole 'people in the way' issue. I am afraid it went over my head however. For the time being I am using a basic point and shoot Kodak C340 and, um, no tripod.

NEVER back away.....everyone starts somewhere....and I have no doubt that you'll file that bit of info away in the "usless todbits" portion of your mind...un til you need it....then bingo...it'll pop out.....good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography