Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM

149 posts, read 347,849 times

Advertisements

I've always really ejoyed photography. I have several cameras...p&s, DSLR (old 300D), and a panasonic Lumix that's a p&s but has manual controls.

I have the hardest time trying to learn in manual mode. I get frustrated and discouraged and end up giving up, but I really would like to learn it and understand it.

Any suggestions or websites that make learning all the manual settings easy to understand? I have a general understanding of what each does, but using them together to get a nice shot is where I get stuck.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM

106,684 posts, read 108,856,202 times
having taught my wife to shoot her macro in manual I can tell you this much.

it is like learning to throw a ball . somehow through a little practice you know just how to arc it , how much force and where to aim all from a feeling.

just by doing and playing she learned if it is to bright do this , to dark do this.

she has no real technical idea what is going on but she can nail exposure ranges with the best of them.

I think you can try shooting flowers to learn.

turn off auto iso.

set camera to 400 iso, speed around 1/200th , flash off and get the background the darkness or brightness you want..

do that by adjusting the aperture. the higher the number the darker things will get.

now turn on the flash and take a shot.

adjust the flash up or down until the subject is exposed well.

if you cannot adjust your flash then open the aperture to make it brighter or close it for darker.

it is one of those things you will learn by doing.

deal with only 1 variable at a time.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:00 PM

556 posts, read 788,726 times
Give this website a look see Sterling Publishing
and for your specific camera hopefully
http://www.sterlingpublishing.com/catalog?section_key=7-3&limit=10§ion=

Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Don't give up on manual. When I was making the switch from full auto to manual, I eased my way in via the sports mode on my old Elan 7. Set ISO as low as you on that 300D. The older DSLRs and lower end versions now are notriously grainy at higher ISOs.

Before we go on, what do you like shooting best? Still shots are easier than shots of moving subjects. That was partly my problem. My main subject is usually trains and trains typically are moving and sometimes fast. So I heard to learn that for fast moving freights, I could get by with 1/500th of a second, but for some faster passenger trains, I needed a "film speed" even faster.

Like I said, still subjects are much easier.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:08 PM

i only use manual for those times i want the camera to do things it won't normally do other wise i have no real use for manual.

typical manual situation for me is macro.

i may want my backgrounds black or very dark while my macro flash exposes the subject.

the camera will always strive to make the background bright so i will force it dark in manual..

other than that i really can not say i have had a use for manual.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM

149 posts, read 347,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Don't give up on manual. When I was making the switch from full auto to manual, I eased my way in via the sports mode on my old Elan 7. Set ISO as low as you on that 300D. The older DSLRs and lower end versions now are notriously grainy at higher ISOs.

Before we go on, what do you like shooting best? Still shots are easier than shots of moving subjects. That was partly my problem. My main subject is usually trains and trains typically are moving and sometimes fast. So I heard to learn that for fast moving freights, I could get by with 1/500th of a second, but for some faster passenger trains, I needed a "film speed" even faster.

Like I said, still subjects are much easier.
I love macro photography. I mainly enjoy taking photos of nature and landscapes.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM

A histogram is very crucial for getting good exposure range . That is key whether in manual or any other setting

Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
I've always really ejoyed photography. I have several cameras...p&s, DSLR (old 300D), and a panasonic Lumix that's a p&s but has manual controls.

I have the hardest time trying to learn in manual mode. I get frustrated and discouraged and end up giving up, but I really would like to learn it and understand it.

Any suggestions or websites that make learning all the manual settings easy to understand? I have a general understanding of what each does, but using them together to get a nice shot is where I get stuck.

Thanks!
Using the flower example I would use the pre-programmed settings note how the shot appeared and what settings the camera used. If the shot turned out not-so-great I would go manual and see if I could improve upon it. You can use it as a baseline to see how changing the settings affect the outcome.
It's simplistic and non-technical but it can help.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
ShortCourses-The On-line Library of Digital Photography Some great tutorials.. basics.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Best way to learn would be to buy a better camera. Anything made before ~84 will be MUCH easier to use full manual on. Anything earlier than ~76 it won't be called manual - it will be called on. Because there were no other options, the controls on older cameras are a joy to use. Go through a few rolls of film and you'll know what your doing.

I used a Minolta SRT-201 for about 15 years before I bought an autofocus Minolta in college. It's like night and day. The SRT was a joy to shoot. The Maxxim was a pain to try and shoot manually. The Nikons I have now are worse. P&S are just a joke to shoot manually.

You can get into an old K-mount Pentax for less than $50 with lenses - which you can adapt to use on your Canon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography