Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,570 times

Advertisements

If someone's asked me to take pics at a party <groan> I usually just stick it on "A" and don't think about getting any nice shot in particular.

If I pass my camera to a friend for a minute to take a shot of me, I set it to "A".

When I first got the camera it took me a while to not use AE as a security blanket. It wasn't easy to part with it notwithstanding that I didn't like some of the things it did. I am still intimidated by the intricacies of manual exposure and all the variables of shutter speed, aperture, film speed, but find the more I do, and the more I read here, the more it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,057,204 times
If it makes you feel better the Aperture priority and shutter priority modes were added to cameras at the request of professionals. Also, Joe Buissink (Wedding photographer to Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey, Brendan Fraser, Kelsey Grammer, and others.) shoots weddings in Program mode. (And before you make the joke, no, it wasn't his photography that made all of these celebrities get a divorce ) It's not the mode you shoot that makes you a good photographer, its your understanding of what each mode does.

I am in the opinion that people should start in manual mode. Once you understand the relationship of exposure and light then you get the luxury of using the program modes successfully.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Only with a flash.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
I use program setting many times and adjust compensation via the compensation adjustment wheel.

many times the camera gives me decent settings for the scene and all I need to do is slightly adjust exposure up or down to taste.

I use it when using flash to avoid bumping the sync speed unless I am shooting macro. .

Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
My Sony DSC HX300 - i and i++ modes set automatic exposure. But in difficult scenes with a very bright spot that can set other areas underexposed, the camera has a Scene Setting -> Background Compensation mode that makes the camera take 3 different shots at different exposure settings and then it combines it into a HDR image. Other wise, I can set my camera on a tripod and shoot the same scene in Program Auto mode and set the exposure at different values. I did this for 6 shots in my kitchen, and I combined them into 1 high dynamic range photo using Photoshop's Merge HDR command.

Regular exposure kitchen shot:

Photoshop Merge HDR composed image:

So next time I go on vacation and I see a difficult shot with a very bright spot I'll take several different exposure level shots using Program Auto.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Aperture Priority with manual ISO is my go to mode. I will use exposure compensation to adjust shutter speed within thirds or ISO to achieve the same at full stops.

Next most used is Manual Mode again with Manual ISO. This is my go to mode when I need to control shutter speed or if I choose to shoot at a fixed ISO (which allows me to change shutter speed without worrying about changing ISO, also possible with Shutter Priority). When using lenses with aperture ring, I usually go to Shutter Priority with manual ISO (sometimes for constant ISO) or Auto ISO.

On occasions, I will use sone automated features of my cameras (such as hand held twilight which works great for dark indoors, anti-motion blur, multi-frame noise reduction or sweep panorama, and occasionally selective color).

I generally don't use DRO (dynamic range optimizer is Sony's term) and built-in HDR features and dont recall shooting in Auto or Auto+ or P mode in a long time.

I do use burst modes which can be auto, semi or manual depending on settings I choose and usually on Sony A55 which is good for 19-20 frames at 6 or 10 fps with continuous or single AF or MF.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,085,680 times
I shoot in P 99% of the time because I don't have the luxury of playing with settings to get a picture. I need a lot of pictures to go through and use them for briefings to the bosses.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
I use Auto when I'm just roaming around places without a plan in mind.

There are many pro photogs who use Auto, AE, or Program.

Also, think about the rise of professional iPhoneography. Technically, all of that is in Auto mode

Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,727 times
Never

Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
I took a job a couple years ago taking pictures of houses for mortgage companies. They're not particular, so I use program mode with everything. Other than than, for weddings, portraits or nature photography, I use manual -- except with on-camera flash, I set the flash on auto but control it through camera controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography