Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,930 times

Advertisements

Hello -- I just recently had some engagement portraits done by a professional photographer and paid a decent rate for an hour session. It looks like he has a gallery on SmugMug where you can order prints or the original images. It's kind of weird for me I guess being an amateur photographer myself and paying for a JPG file, but I guess that's how things work these days?

He charges $20 per image with original download, having never done this before I have no idea if this is reasonable or not. Should I haggle this or is this a pretty standard rate? Can't see paying for prints, I'd rather have the full size version so I can do what I want with it --

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
I've heard college graduation photos are now $65. I think that's criminal. I remember paying something like $20 years ago which seemed reasonable at the time. Some costs associated with college take advantage of young adults who don't yet fully understand what a reasonable price is or they're a captive audience when it comes to text book prices.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 PM

80 posts, read 108,865 times
Although years ago, a photographer didn't have to spend time heavily editing graduation photos to flatter the subject and fit in with the latest processing trends.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
How odd to be asking for opinions on pricing after the shoot. Did you not have a contract or at least some kind of agreement of the costs and deliverables? Didn't you shop around? You haven't given nearly enough information for anybody to offer an opinion here. It could be a great deal, or it could be a ripoff depending on how much the sitting fee was and how good this guy it. I guess you just need to look at the proofs and decide for yourself if they're worth $20/each. If not then make him an offer you think is fair. He's already taken the shots so my guess is you're in the position of power here. Either he can make some additional money or not.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzakura View Post
Although years ago, a photographer didn't have to spend time heavily editing graduation photos to flatter the subject and fit in with the latest processing trends.
Graduation pictures are not heavily edited. I've seen them, and I mean recently. Btw, my graduation was during the digital age, too. Today's pictures are also mass produced, slapped up against a photo shopped background and away we go. It's as close to a factory-like process as digital photography gets.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
If that $20 comes with reproduction rights, I'd think that's pretty darn reasonable. When I should engagement photos, the couple usually picks one or two images for prints. I won't sell the digital image for such things because I've had horrible experiences when clients take it to a one-hour lab and then give me credit for poor prints. A typical print order for engagement photos is probably $100, and the materials cost for a $100 order is under $10.

Charging for reproduction rights isn't anything new. As far as I know, it's been the norm for the past century. I've been a professional photographer for a couple decades. Like I said, I don't sell that kind of digital image, but I do sell them to corporations, magazines, etc., My starting price is about $100. If they only want one, it's $100. If they want 50, it might be $100 for the whole works -- or it might be $500, depending.... If you want a bunch of those digital files, talk to the photographer. He might give you a volume discount. If you want them in a format other than jpeg, again, talk to the photographer. He might be able to pull them onto a CD or your own data stick. Files for internet transmission are usually in jpeg format due to the size of tiff files, etc.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzakura View Post
You're so wrong.^^^^^
Sadly, correct photo processing these days is no different than in film days when done correctly. You're probably referring to those who have no idea how to process, (or shoot), and are using stupid filters to make a bad photo look it's worst!

OP: Do you not pay your car mechanic either because you too can change a tire?

Why should a photographer take your photo? they're not slaves to work for free!
I think $20 is more than reasonable all things considered. If you're a photographer yourself, why did you have someone else photograph you? you could have slapped the tripod down, use the self timer, and shoot!

Photographers, those licensed and insured, are small businesses, or freelancers, or independent contractors. Money doesn't fall out of the tree for them. If you enlist a legitimate photographer to photograph you, then you have to pay for their time and expertise the same way you pay for your plumber.

The JPEG or print is THEIR Product!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Hello -- I just recently had some engagement portraits done by a professional photographer and paid a decent rate for an hour session. It looks like he has a gallery on SmugMug where you can order prints or the original images. It's kind of weird for me I guess being an amateur photographer myself and paying for a JPG file, but I guess that's how things work these days?

He charges $20 per image with original download, having never done this before I have no idea if this is reasonable or not. Should I haggle this or is this a pretty standard rate? Can't see paying for prints, I'd rather have the full size version so I can do what I want with it --

Thanks
But it's not just a JPG file, it's an image that the photographer has probably spent years developing their skills for and put hours of hard work into your individual shoot and the post processing that goes with it. The photographer owns the copyrights to those files and if you want the ability to "do what you want with" his/her property, such as produce as many prints as you like instead of paying for the quality control that comes with the photographer providing the prints, you have to expect that you'll have to pay for that ability. You are paying for the reproduction rights too, not just file itself. $20 per image does not seem high when you consider that with that file, you could produce endless prints (assuming he's giving you a limited license to print them yourself) when normally, you might pay the photographer $20 for just one print alone. That doesn't mean other photographers might not charge less but you have to remember that every photographer has to price the work based on what they feel their work is worth. If you do not feel their work is worth what they are charging, you should not have hired that photographer to begin with. If you feel the work they did for you did not live up to the standards you saw in their portfolio, then you have a legitimate complaint. Or if the photographer did not provide their prices with you up front before you hired them, you may have a legitimate complaint, though I would not have hired them to begin with if they wouldn't share their prices with me first. Otherwise, the photographer has not done anything unreasonable and trying to haggle the price down would be rude and insulting.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
But it's not just a JPG file, it's an image that the photographer has probably spent years developing their skills for and put hours of hard work into your individual shoot and the post processing that goes with it. The photographer owns the copyrights to those files and if you want the ability to "do what you want with" his/her property, such as produce as many prints as you like instead of paying for the quality control that comes with the photographer providing the prints, you have to expect that you'll have to pay for that ability. You are paying for the reproduction rights too, not just file itself. $20 per image does not seem high when you consider that with that file, you could produce endless prints (assuming he's giving you a limited license to print them yourself) when normally, you might pay the photographer $20 for just one print alone. That doesn't mean other photographers might not charge less but you have to remember that every photographer has to price the work based on what they feel their work is worth. If you do not feel their work is worth what they are charging, you should not have hired that photographer to begin with. If you feel the work they did for you did not live up to the standards you saw in their portfolio, then you have a legitimate complaint. Or if the photographer did not provide their prices with you up front before you hired them, you may have a legitimate complaint, though I would not have hired them to begin with if they wouldn't share their prices with me first. Otherwise, the photographer has not done anything unreasonable and trying to haggle the price down would be rude and insulting.
This is just a small glimpse into a professional photographer's costs of doing and staying in business:
Why Wedding Photographers' Prices are

This happens to be a wedding photographer, others however incur the same costs.
We have taxes to pay, association fees, license fees, business licenses, gas to go to and from photo shoots, equipment etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography