Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
If you consider it horrible then why did you mention it in the first place as a good source of learning RE photography?

The purpose of HDR is simply to allow you to capture the whole dynamic range of a scene that a camera cannot, unlike our eyes.

Exactly to me HDR and exposure blending is the same. I've noticed though lately, a lot of people that do "manual HDR" as in using several files and just layer mask it manually, have been distancing from the term HDR maybe because of the reason you state.

Nonetheless I always call it the same. It's HDR nonetheless. You are creating a High Range of exposure in one single file
I said: There is another article on the fstoppers website. I did not say "there's an HDR photo on fstoppers website"

Exposure Fusion: What is it? How does it Compare to HDR? How Do I Do It? - Digital Photography School

In Photomatix you have two options: Tone Mapping for HDR, and Exposure Fusion=which used to be called exposure blending in a previous version.

Most people do go overboard with HDR, and it looks like crap.
Attached Thumbnails
Commericial Photography(rates)-region-capture-9.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It all depends - is that for a billboard, a publication, website, newspaper etc.?
Last month I did some commercial shots, and was paid $225 per 4 photos.
Most publicans pay from $25.00-$75.00 per shot. Most newspaper pay just $25.00 a shot.
That seem to be the norm at the moment.
You can also try to license an image on Getty for the same purpose to find their rate for stock photography, and work from there.

You might want to read this:
The Guide To Pricing Commercial Photography Part 2: Production Costs
Pricing Guides | American Society of Media Photographers
or perhaps use this calculator
master page
Thank you for pointing that out. Most people don't understand "Licensing", and that their images become a "product" like everything else when they're used to advertise something else. A house, a couch, a pillow etc. IF your real estate shot was done in a furnished home, a builder model, the interior designer will want to use that in their advertising too; so is the floor company, the bathroom fixture company etc etc etc. If more photographers, or those who want to be photographers would understand that, our industry would be in a much better shape.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
First HDR/Exposure blending. They are the same thing.

Price: The market sets the price. It is up to you then to determine if you wish to provide the product at that price. All the suggestions about charging this or that are worthless unless they are servicing the same market as you. Also don't confuse a market with an area, every area has several markets. A simple example would be shooting high, middle and low end homes. Three different market and three different price points. Do some research into RE photographers in your area. Judge their quality versus the price and market yourself accordingly.

RE Photography: Real estate photography is not like shooting people or items. The purpose of the images are different and so are the techniques. In addition, you need different lens and flashes. Lens and flashes that work great on people, tend not to produce the best RE images. In addition, when photographing object and people you focus in the subject, RE photography is the opposite you focus in on the room.
Not the same:
Exposure Fusion: What is it? How does it Compare to HDR? How Do I Do It? - Digital Photography School

What you can charge in NYC is not what you're going to charge in Miami, Ohio. For your information just know that if you call another photographer in your area and ask them what they charge they won't tell you. They wont tell you because they don't have the same business model as you, they are already established, they already calculated their cost of doing business versus what their market can bare, and mainly because you're "competition" they don't want. AND most will give you an outrageous amount, so that when you go tell your clients that, they run away. ALL that IS because of the fear of price fixing. So, you have to calculate your individual cost of doing business, and how much you need to charge to make a profit. Once you charge, you're business, you want profits not loses, and should pay/charge taxes per what your state lists. Otherwise you're just opening yourself up for law suits. (Not worth it). You have to call and pretend you're a client if you want to get a quote. Is this cool? NO....But unfortunately in photography these days is dog eat dog...(Also NOT COOL).

A 580EXII flash works just fine for both people, and real estate; you just have to know how to use it. It also depends on how much time you are allowed to shoot the property. Do you have an hour? 30 minutes? 5 hours? because that decides which technique you'll be using; meaning will you have enough time to light everything properly, or you have to bracket and edit in post production!? (there's post production in both cases, but it is more time consuming IF you didn't get a chance to light everything properly while at the shoot). Remember too that a flash on a 30 foot ceiling is irrelevant and wont work.

You also have to have a property release if you want to use these photos in your portfolio; some people will only allow the builder to have a photo of their home on their website...and won't want their home plastered all over the web...always have a property release to protect yourself from injury too on their premise, or someone else that might be with you. Better be safe than sorry.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM

582 posts, read 779,515 times
First he states that exposure fusion and HDR are not the same, and then he describes the process for exposure fusion the matches the process for creating a HDR image. The only difference is that a true HDR cannot be stored as a jpg due to the limits of the format. So exposure fusion is processing the set of images using HDR but storing the results as a jpg or other LDR formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
What you can charge in NYC is not what you're going to charge in Miami, Ohio. For your information just know that if you call another photographer in your area and ask them what they charge they won't tell you. They wont tell you because they don't have the same business model as you, they are already established, they already calculated their cost of doing business versus what their market can bare, and mainly because you're "competition" they don't want. AND most will give you an outrageous amount, so that when you go tell your clients that, they run away. ALL that IS because of the fear of price fixing. So, you have to calculate your individual cost of doing business, and how much you need to charge to make a profit. Once you charge, you're business, you want profits not loses, and should pay/charge taxes per what your state lists. Otherwise you're just opening yourself up for law suits. (Not worth it). You have to call and pretend you're a client if you want to get a quote. Is this cool? NO....But unfortunately in photography these days is dog eat dog...(Also NOT COOL).
Finding out the going rate for RE photographs is not that hard. A few will have them posted on their site, if not you can ask the RE agents. A little snooping should give you the information you need. Also knowing your costs is a must, but using it to set your price is questionable. If you do use it, be aware it has flaws that can result in either under or over charging for your product. In truth, only you care about your cost of production, everyone else looks at the final price and product. When they purchase your services they don't care if your costs are higher than the guy down the road, all they are interested in is the final produce and what it will cost them.

As for price fixing. Technically illegal even for small business. However, enforcement against small business is basically non-existent.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM

560 posts, read 599,946 times
Quote:
I said: There is another article on the fstoppers website. I did not say "there's an HDR photo on fstoppers website"

In Photomatix you have two options: Tone Mapping for HDR, and Exposure Fusion=which used to be called exposure blending in a previous version.

Most people do go overboard with HDR, and it looks like crap.
I know the intrincassies of Photomatix.

I don't use it i do everything manually with layers in Photoshop.

But you said something that they have tutorials. That picture is from their tutorial that they endorse that costs 300 dollars.

It's not HDR with Photomatix, but it is 30 pictures each one with a flash pointing to a certain location and then everything blended in photoshop.

It may not be photomatix but it's HDR nonethless because you're using multiple pictures with different exposures to reach that result.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Here are a few pricing guides from PhotoShelter that might help some of you.

Pricing Journalism
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2y...it?usp=sharing

Pricing for magazine publication:

Pricing for corporate:

I am done with the HDR discussion. If you can't understand the difference, and that there is one, then I can't help you.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 AM

I use layers too...many of them.
Quote:
I don't use it i do everything manually with layers in Photoshop.

Why would you assume someone's time to put together an educational video should be free?
Quote:
But you said something that they have tutorials. That picture is from their tutorial that they endorse that costs 300 dollars.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM

creativelive.com Has free classes if you can arrange your schedule to watch them live.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 AM

560 posts, read 599,946 times
Quote:
I use layers too...many of them.

Why would you assume someone's time to put together an educational video should be free?
Huh?

Where did you see me state it should be free?

Re: HDR even if you do it manually it's still HDR. Alright maybe you don't want to be connected to the bad name that HDR has been getting lately where people have been using it really bad. It doesn't make it less that HDR.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:57 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What you are suggesting is called price-fixing and is largely illegal in the US. Personally I price to beat my competition, mainly because I'm still building my business. The market is only a fixed size. By entering a business space I'm going to be taking business away from my competition by definition. It's a tough world out there, eat or be eaten.
This is far from price fixing. Just because you ask other people what they charge doesn't fix any pricing at all. You are just doing research on what other people charge. If you are pricing to undercut your competition you had to find out what they were charging to start with.
I did the opposite of you when I started out. I talked to a lot of people and found out what they charged. Then I set my prices about 50 to 200% higher than almost all of them. Although I will admit I was 25% less than the very top tiered photos.
I'm not saying that what you are doing is wrong, I just used a different approach.
I know a ton of photogs who priced low. Most found out they weren't making any money but as they tried to raise prices it was hard because they lost all the clientele they built up over the years because those clients were trained to pay a low price and get a certain quality. Once the price went up most all left to find another cheap photographer. They also felt very overworked, especially in light of how little they made. Two actually got divorced as the stress of a non profit job taxed their family lives.
It's a tough balance to price right and get work and be profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography