Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times

Advertisements

I guess the image didn't upload in the previous reply. Here it is.
I can upload images taken with other lenses. However, they will have been shot raw since I usually shoot raw. So it wouldn't be a fair test of color quality but it would show whether there is an issue with sharpness. My dog is going to go crazy if I don't take her out right this second though!
Attached Thumbnails
Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-canon-image.jpg  

Last edited by PGH423; 07-31-2017 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:09 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Yeah, superzoom lenses tend to be mushy at their extremes, particularly lower-end lenses. I suspect you're not going to get a very sharp all over image at 18mm with that lens even if you did everything right. Third party lenses don't always play nicely with autofocus, either, although I don't know if that's thing with this particular lens.

Different lenses can give you different results with color and contrast as well, for a variety of reasons (quality of the glass, coatings, chromatic aberration, etc). Usually the differences are minor, easily adjusted for, but some lenses, particularly cheap ones, can have noticeable issues.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, superzoom lenses tend to be mushy at their extremes, particularly lower-end lenses. I suspect you're not going to get a very sharp all over image at 18mm with that lens even if you did everything right. Third party lenses don't always play nicely with autofocus, either, although I don't know if that's thing with this particular lens.

Different lenses can give you different results with color and contrast as well, for a variety of reasons (quality of the glass, coatings, chromatic aberration, etc). Usually the differences are minor, easily adjusted for, but some lenses, particularly cheap ones, can have noticeable issues.
OK, let me ask you if this is too soft. It was my Sigma 17-50 f 2.8 and was shot indoors in very low light. I always use that lens indoors because it has excellent low light performance (or at least I thought it did). Let me ask you if you think this is too soft. Because the lighting was poor, it's at ISO 6400. It's a focal length of 50 mm and exposure 1/15th sec. (The noise is understandably bad at ISO 6400.) I think for those settings, the sharpness is very good but after your other message I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my Canon. I change lenses often and I've never cleaned the sensor (other than the automatic cleaning it does when I turn it off). This attached picture is straight out of the camera except that I changed the white balance - it was way too warm. On a side note, I've mostly focused on strengths of cell phones in this thread, but in this low lighting, this SL1 picture is a trillion times better than what the Galaxy could do. This picture is right after my dog got drenched from the rain and was waiting for me to feed her. Is this reasonable sharpness and image quality or is there a problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-chance-wet-2-ii.jpg  

Old 07-31-2017, 06:56 AM

Here's a bridge with the Sigma 17-50 shot at 1/100 sec, f/10, 17 mm, ISO 100. Not sure if it's too soft. The dynamic range is poor and I think the image is too dark. This was shot raw. It was mostly fixed post-processing (second picture) but it might still be too soft.
On a side note, I realized after reading your other message that I often use this lens at the extreme ends of the focal length (17 or 50) and should try moving a little away from that.
Attached Thumbnails
Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-bridge-sigma.jpg   Comparing Cell Phone and DSLR Cameras-bridge-ii-after.jpg  

Last edited by PGH423; 07-31-2017 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: typo and clarification

Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM

106,688 posts, read 108,856,202 times
these are taken with the fuji's handheld in montreal with the fixed lens . these are our go to camera's now for travel when we need to go light .

anytime we fly we use these . we are headed to cuba on a cruise so i am contemplating bringing the big nikon gear since we will have so many photo ops in who knows what kind of scenario's .. i may buy a 28-300mm nikon full frame lense instead of my much heavier pro lenses so i don't have to start swapping out lenses . especially in tropical weather .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-31-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 05:47 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Those are pictures taken with different phones - some old and pretty crappy. Still not too bad...
What camera do I need to take decent of pictures of skylines and landscapes?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,146,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I've actually tried shooting the same shot many times with ONE SHOT and AI FOCUS for the auto focus settings and not noticed a difference. AL SERVO I use only if the subject is moving.

I haven't tried the center focus single point before. I always have it on automatic selection. I will try the center focus single point, though. Will this make a difference if I use the LCD preview screen to tell it exactly where to focus anyway?
I do not know. Do a trial and error process taking photos with and without the LCD preview screen to see if the LCD preview screen makes a difference.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
these are taken with the fuji's handheld in montreal with the fixed lens . these are our go to camera's now for travel when we need to go light .

anytime we fly we use these . we are headed to cuba on a cruise so i am contemplating bringing the big nikon gear since we will have so many photo ops in who knows what kind of scenario's .. i may buy a 28-300mm nikon full frame lense instead of my much heavier pro lenses so i don't have to start swapping out lenses . especially in tropical weather .
I have the 28-300. I love it - it's great for not having to switch lenses in multiple situations. It's only failing is it's not the "greatest" in low light. I usually carry my 50mm in a pocket or bag for that. Other than that, I rarely switch lenses from the big one. I can't tell you the last time I used my 16-35.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
When I am pointing my DSLR with the 70-200 2.8 on it, people make an effort to get out of the way. No so with a cell phone. No one cares.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When I am pointing my DSLR with the 70-200 2.8 on it, people make an effort to get out of the way. No so with a cell phone. No one cares.
That's kind of odd. If I'm using my cell phone, people still try to stay out of the picture. It's just common courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography