Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 AM

49 posts, read 189,695 times

Advertisements

I have Picaso downloaded and find it easier to use than many other software programs. However, I'm wondering if you can do any of the following with Picaso....if you know please let me know

Can you whiten teeth?

Can you make borders?

Is there any type of watermarking in Picaso?

If not can you recommend a free software that does have this? I'm at the point I need to look at software before I buy it, however I've been alternating with Photobucket as well. I'm not liking the results of my photos, however Photobucket has most of the options I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Nat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM

154 posts, read 597,757 times
There's no watermark option in Picasa, though it's something people are asking for. (I stumbled across a Picasa forum somewhere once, can't seem to find it again.) What kind of camera do you shoot with, my D200 allows me to add copyright notes in the options menu, yay Nikon!

Though I'm not sure about the other two things I don't think you can.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98stage2 View Post
There's no watermark option in Picasa, though it's something people are asking for. (I stumbled across a Picasa forum somewhere once, can't seem to find it again.) What kind of camera do you shoot with, my D200 allows me to add copyright notes in the options menu, yay Nikon!

Though I'm not sure about the other two things I don't think you can.

I have a Canon Rebel XTi.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM

i'm not at all familiar with the Canon's. What results are you not happy with?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:05 AM

I'm happy with my results. I just want to find a specific editing software like Photoshop that is user friendly.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 AM

Me too....

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygirl79 View Post
I have Picaso downloaded and find it easier to use than many other software programs. However, I'm wondering if you can do any of the following with Picaso....if you know please let me know

Can you whiten teeth?

Can you make borders?

Is there any type of watermarking in Picaso?

If not can you recommend a free software that does have this? I'm at the point I need to look at software before I buy it, however I've been alternating with Photobucket as well. I'm not liking the results of my photos, however Photobucket has most of the options I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Nat
I use Photoshop Elements 6. This application is now available (same version) for both the PC and Mac.

I would not worry too much about watermarks and such on your images, as long as what you want to to is to protect your images posted online. Such images are very small in size (around 7-something pixels x 4-something pixels). These look good on the screen, but sort of grainy when printed.

Just think about this: an 8MP sensor can provide you with an image that if printed at full size it's around 40" x 30" (give and take a couple of inches). An image saved for posting on the net that is around 700 pixels x 400 pixels (or so) can be printed around 7" x 5" or so in size before it looks too grainy.

Sooo, don't post the original image (full size), but with Photoshop Elements save it as follows: "Save For Web," and in a size like I told you above.

This is what I do:

1. I do any post processing with Elements, save the original to another hard drive, and work on a copy of the original. Once the photo looks good on my screen, then I size it horizontally to 750 pixels or so, and the program automatically sizes the vertical portion of the photo.

2. I use a Mac, and have a couple of applications that can size any photo the way I want, then I use Elements once more to add a frame.

3. Reopen the now small photo with Elements, and then click the Text Tool action on the bottom edge of the photo, and write my name. Then I add a frame to the photo.

4. The next step is to save the photo for posting on the web. I select "Save For Web" from the menu, and go though the steps required by Elements.

This photo is of no use to a person who wants to print it and sell it. It would look good on the screen, and anybody here can download it for their viewing pleasure. It's not the original full-size image, just a small-size copy of the original.

What i like about Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, is the great number of "actions" available free, or at a charge, online. Actions are things such as the frame you can see in my photo. There are other actions that allow you to combine or blend two or three identical but differently exposed images into one, much like using a set of three ND filters over the lens. For example, Fred Miranda's DRI action costs very little money, but it allows you to blend images at a fraction of the time it would take you to take the photos using ND filters. Other actions do B&W work for you, and so forth.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM

184 posts, read 491,411 times
I don't know much about picasa, but there's a free program called "Gimp" that I like to use. You can do a google search for it. It does most of the same things as Photoshop, but you don't have to pay for it I'm still learning how to do a lot of things on it, but I've been really happy and have been able to do everything I've wanted. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography