Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,917,703 times

Advertisements

If I edit a RAW file, can I save it as a different file, and will it still be a RAW file after it's edited? Or is an edited RAW file automatically converted to a JPEG? Do editors that allow editing of RAW files only allow editing of exposure, white balance and such? I am intimidated by the editing software I have and almost always revert to the JPEG version of the picture (my camera takes RAW and JPEG at the same time when set to RAW). Why is editing in RAW better than editing the same pic in JPEG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,777,539 times
RAW is the biggest file you can have. Its full of data, and the more you have the better. You should be able to choose how you want to save it post-edit, as either a TIFF which is bigger, saves a lot more of the detail you want, without a lot of the loss you get with jpeg compression. Jpeg, saves smaller files, but if you decide to want to re-edit, and don't have the full RAW file anymore, once you re-edit, and re-save, you'll lose a little bit more from the image. At higher resolutions, you would not notice it that much, but if you want to make big prints, TIFF is the way to go.

BUT, a lot of print houses, don't take TIFF, some do, but most of the more common ones don't.

So, here's a suggestion:

Before you edit anything, back up all the original RAW files to a cd, and save them. That way, if you ever need that full RAW image again, you've got it.

Edit to your heart's content, then choose how you wish to save it. Jpeg for easier use, or TIFF for hanging on to more image data.

Either way you'll be fine. But TIFF files, do require a lot more space than Jpeg does.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,120,951 times
A raw file is as close to the source as you can get. It captures the camera settings/information used for the picture in its header and retains a much finer level of brightness information per pixel. Something like 4k per pixel, compared to a typical jpg that is like 256. This gives you not only more information in the meta-data (camera used, brightness and other settings, etc) but a much higher quality original to do post processing on.

Typically you open the raw file then after you are done processing it you save it as a jpg leaving you with two files... the original untouched file and the post process jpg.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,740,477 times
You just got the skinny here. All good. I shoot RAW for the best possible final image. Whether I save as jpg or tif depends on usage. For emailing or sharing jpg is a must. For anything larger than a 5x7 print I generally use a tif for my own satisfaction that I've done my best. Any print shop that doesn't have the capablility of using tif would not get my business. Professional shops can use tif formats even for large prints. IMO a shop that cuts corners on using jpg only will cut other corners too. Just something to ponder.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times
Actually there's no difference at all between the quality of prints from high quality JPG or TIFF, regardless of size. The image has the same number of pixels regardless, and the printers don't use more than 8 bits per channel anyway.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM

That may be so, but if you want to re-edit a jpg file, you will lose a bit in the re-saving and re-compression. TIFF on the other hand, you don't.

Its a matter of personal choice.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post
That may be so, but if you want to re-edit a jpg file, you will lose a bit in the re-saving and re-compression. TIFF on the other hand, you don't.

Its a matter of personal choice.
My comment was specifically about printing, and nothing more.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,740,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Actually there's no difference at all between the quality of prints from high quality JPG or TIFF, regardless of size. The image has the same number of pixels regardless, and the printers don't use more than 8 bits per channel anyway.
Unless you are using on of these 16 bit printers. Yes I know this is an exception but there are those of us who are a little off center.

Epson Stylus Pro 7880 Standard Model Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
You just got the skinny here. All good. I shoot RAW for the best possible final image. Whether I save as jpg or tif depends on usage. For emailing or sharing jpg is a must. For anything larger than a 5x7 print I generally use a tif for my own satisfaction that I've done my best. Any print shop that doesn't have the capablility of using tif would not get my business. Professional shops can use tif formats even for large prints. IMO a shop that cuts corners on using jpg only will cut other corners too. Just something to ponder.
Very true on the cutting corners....the big box 1 hour guys, most will only accept jpg files....and their max resolution on film scans is 300 dpi to a 5x7 size only! Accck!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Unless you are using on of these 16 bit printers. Yes I know this is an exception but there are those of us who are a little off center.

Epson Stylus Pro 7880 Standard Model Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Would you believe, that one of the big box 1 hour retailers is installing these in their 1 hour labs???

I'm not sure the logic behind that one...unless they're going to do one hell of an upgrade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography